Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
May 19, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #317 of 1,201
Just wondering is the EVO still on track for a May release?
Very much looking forward to this.

Cheers
It's going to be tight, but I'm holding out hope.

The design is done, we're just waiting on some materials in order to get production flowing. Everything involving logistics seems to take longer than expected these days.

May 19, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #318 of 1,201
It's going to be tight, but I'm holding out hope.

The design is done, we're just waiting on some materials in order to get production flowing. Everything involving logistics seems to take longer than expected these days.
covid hits harder than legend X and Z1R subbass drop.

May 19, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #319 of 1,201
May 20, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #320 of 1,201
That's exactly what our FedEx rep said.
On the other hand I see some improvements in delivery for private customers.
Recently I got dekoni audio earpads from the US to Russia just within 3 days by UPS (including customs clearance).
I also see a huge improvement with shipments from China with a regular post, much faster than it was before covid (7-10 days instead of 2-3 weeks).
So it depends..
Sorry for the off-topic.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #321 of 1,201
A long time user of the ER4S, I didn't find the SR/XR versions really any different to the S/PT versions. That was also confirmed when I spoke to an engineer at ety when I sent my ER4S in for new cabling. But this new one looks exciting, I'll definitely be getting a set to try.

May 20, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #322 of 1,201
A long time user of the ER4S, I didn't find the SR/XR versions really any different to the S/PT versions. That was also confirmed when I spoke to an engineer at ety when I sent my ER4S in for new cabling. But this new one looks exciting, I'll definitely be getting a set to try.
Longtime ER4S user here too. What my ears telling me, my current ER4SR when pushed to the 100 Ohm equivalent to the old ER4S, they actually sound the same. Another physical difference is that the older ER4 does not contain impedance resistors in the driver unit, it's in the cable middle pod. ER4SR/XR has them in the driver housing now

May 20, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #323 of 1,201
Recently I got dekoni audio earpads from the US to Russia just within 3 days by UPS (including customs clearance).
I also see a huge improvement with shipments from China with a regular post, much faster than it was before covid (7-10 days instead of 2-3 weeks).
So it depends..
Sorry for the off-topic.
Shipping times are getting better. Though access to raw materials still seems somewhat dwindled.

May 20, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #325 of 1,201
Longtime ER4S user here too. What my ears telling me, my current ER4SR when pushed to the 100 Ohm equivalent to the old ER4S, they actually sound the same. Another physical difference is that the older ER4 does not contain impedance resistors in the driver unit, it's in the cable middle pod. ER4SR/XR has them in the driver housing now
Right, well I couldn't notice the difference at all, but I'm no expert. Had the chance to upgrade mine when they released them but decided against it after auditioning them locally and speaking to the engineer bloke at ety about it over email (I remember he said, "frankly, they're not really much different"). If I were buying new I guess I would've got the new version because why not, but my 10 year old ER4S are still going strong...

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #326 of 1,201

I'm curious who you spoke to here. I'm not sure I would have phrased it that way.

The ER4S and ER4SR are really quite similar. The ER4XR and ER4PT are a bit different because the XR actually has a bass boost (via a driver change). The PT uses the same driver as the S but lowers the impedance to tilt the response, which does increase the bass, midbass, etc while simultaneously dropping the highs a bit. Basically, the XR keeps the primary resonance and beyond intact, while the 4PT has a slightly reduced output. They are technically different, although individual listeners will have their own opinion on the relative significance of those differences.

May 20, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #327 of 1,201
So it depends..
Sorry for the off-topic.

Yeah, and to be clear, it's not a FedEx delay. It's just taking longer to get all the raw parts in, for myriad reasons.

May 20, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #328 of 1,201
Right, well I couldn't notice the difference at all, but I'm no expert. Had the chance to upgrade mine when they released them but decided against it after auditioning them locally and speaking to the engineer bloke at ety about it over email (I remember he said, "frankly, they're not really much different"). If I were buying new I guess I would've got the new version because why not, but my 10 year old ER4S are still going strong...

Yeah, if the old ones are going strong and you still enjoy them, it's all good. :)

"All that different" is a very relative scale. As I mentioned above, one person's minor difference is another person's earth shattering change. Both are correct for that individual.

May 20, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #330 of 1,201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back