Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #258 of 1,201
Hope Evo will not be very sensitive otherwise my iDSD Daiblo would be an overkill for it )
If we reflect back on the long history of Etymotic, the upper tier range tend to be configured with higher impedance and lower sensitivity. So yes like you I hope they are keeping the EVO within the 45-100 Ohm range with approx of 98db of sensitivity, a settings I find very suitable for pairing with beefy sources

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #259 of 1,201
These look interesting.
I have a feeling though that it will be just a different flavor of Westone 3-driver iems, with a somewhat similar shape and the same people working on tuning (if i'm not mistaken, it's now both Ety and Westone sound engineers working together, right?)
At least it will finally be an Etymotic product that will fit my ears :)

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #260 of 1,201
next week pre-order, very interesting

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #261 of 1,201
If we reflect back on the long history of Etymotic, the upper tier range tend to be configured with higher impedance and lower sensitivity. So yes like you I hope they are keeping the EVO within the 45-100 Ohm range with approx of 98db of sensitivity, a settings I find very suitable for pairing with beefy sources

That's some good work.

columbo.jpg

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #262 of 1,201
These look interesting.
I have a feeling though that it will be just a different flavor of Westone 3-driver iems, with a somewhat similar shape and the same people working on tuning (if i'm not mistaken, it's now both Ety and Westone sound engineers working together, right?)
At least it will finally be an Etymotic product that will fit my ears :)

The acoustics for the EVO were basically done by the time Westone came on board, so there really isn't a lot of crossover in the tuning. In fact, as somebody who now works on Westone stuff as well, I can confirm that they are, in fact, quite divergent.

May 2, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #263 of 1,201
@EtyDave do you know if it's possible to buy original T2 DS plugs to make your own cables with?
I really enjoy that hobby and would hate to see a switch to a connector that's not available as a raw component.

Edit: nvm, they're sold on the official website as well as elsewhere. Sorry for tagging you.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #264 of 1,201
@EtyDave do you know if it's possible to buy original T2 DS plugs to make your own cables with?
I really enjoy that hobby and would hate to see a switch to a connector that's not available as a raw component.

Edit: nvm, they're sold on the official website as well as elsewhere. Sorry for tagging you.

Looks like you found the answer. I'd love to see the cables you end up making once you're done.

May 2, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #266 of 1,201
I never base my judgement on FR graphs until I have a chance to listen to them extensively. Human ears and listening ability are much more advanced than the perceived accuracy of mechanical sensors used in capturing FR. Yes they are useful to give us the general understanding of the sound characteristics. For example would you believe me that my most used cans is also the cheapest in my collections? The AKG K52 at $36. With some mods here and there that thing is so addictive to wear and listen to. And on paper probably it looked like a piece of dung tech wise.

They're an exceptionally detailed and low distortion listen where I agree, they still sound good stock. So yes, FR isn't everything, but it doesn't mean the FR isn't problematic - a quick look at the graph it's obviously wonky with an upper mids suckout and an 8k spike. I've had these for a couple years now and run an EQ that is a combo of Harman up to 1k and Oratory above it. This way, they sound much closer to my home audio system, Burchardt A500s, which measure nearly ruler flat.

Really looking forward to these new Etys though. I've had a couple different pairs over the years (ER4 and HF5) and have mulled over getting another pair of ER4 as I do have fond memories of those.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #267 of 1,201
FR measure and ranked by no-sense amateurs just disaster. IMO, impedance, electric phase is more important than some So-call Standard FR curve.

Stereophile's John Aktison ever said about that, the goal we measure is to tell why we listen like this, not judgement a system pre-se.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #268 of 1,201
FR measure and ranked by no-sense amateurs just disaster. IMO, impedance, electric phase is more important than some So-call Standard FR curve.

Stereophile's John Aktison ever said about that, the goal we measure is to tell why we listen like this, not judgement a system pre-se.

I really don't want to take this thread sideways, but these IEMs (KSEs) have been measured by multiple 3rd parties and while not all the curves are the same, they show the two glaring flaws I mentioned above. Suggested curves are not going to be gospel for everyone, they are trying to hit a happy medium that on average are considered flat to a wide range of listeners. Agree to disagree about the importance of this.

Etymotic is perhaps the originator of having a target curve that they strongly abided by as to what they felt neutral was. To say this is unimportant is kinda wild. IMO of course.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #269 of 1,201
where the fr for the pre-order?

May 8, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #270 of 1,201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back