Etymotic Research EVO impressions and discussion thread
Mar 25, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #136 of 1,201
@EtyDave Long Time Etymotics user and lover here. Would you be able to comment on whether the Bluetooth adapter (EtyMotion) will be available for Evo with perhaps an option of a bundle like for the others today?

The reason is I’ve come to use my ER4XR less and less connected via a wire but rather via an ES100 or similar as my only wired device is a desktop DAC.

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #137 of 1,201
@EtyDave Long Time Etymotics user and lover here. Would you be able to comment on whether the Bluetooth adapter (EtyMotion) will be available for Evo with perhaps an option of a bundle like for the others today?

The reason is I’ve come to use my ER4XR less and less connected via a wire but rather via an ES100 or similar as my only wired device is a desktop DAC.
I'll second this, @EtyDave , especially if there has to be enough identified need to implement.

I've gone through the gamut of TWS earbuds, but keep coming back to the Etymotion cable as I think Etymotic just kinda nailed the design and implementation. Connection stability, codec usage, and ergonomics are all second to none. Heck, you could even keep its compatibility at aptX HD and be miles ahead of the competition in terms of signal throughput and clarity.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #138 of 1,201
My first impression w/o hearing these things or even seeing any graphs is that I’m selling my ER4B and my ER4XR To put the money in these. Just knowing Etymotic and using their products for over a decade, I’m sure they’ll be a step up (not sure if that will actually be an audible step up barring tuning differences) and the form factor should make them easier to use before I go to sleep As my pillow should impact their position as much. To be honest, I hope they essentially sound like my 4XR With a little more 10-20kHz like my ER4B. Everyone will probably think I’m mad for saying this, but my 4XR have the best bass I’ve heard And I have over 20 sets of nice headphones, multiple amps, and 2 surround sound systems with multi subs that are very high quality In treated rooms. The bass on this should be even better if it’s possible and you know the rest of the spectrum will be within margins being that this is Etymotic. Anyway, I’m eager to get these Even if I have to sell my most beloved possession, my ER4XR. I just trust Etymotic at this point. My wife has no compassion for my audio obsession and often uses the tv speakers... I’ll never understand it. The HT pre amp turn on by itself and she turns it off... My ER4B have been in my audio collection longer than anything else I own. Never had an issue with them and I still have a connection with them. They were the first set of headphones that made me say I am glad I bought a nice set of headphones. Every previous set underwhelmed me In some way that I couldn’t get beyond. I’m not sure if I can actually part with them, but my wife just won’t relax about it. I considered hiding them from her, but it won’t work in the long run. She’s too clean and clever.

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #139 of 1,201
staging and imaging wise arent snake oil. It is what it is. The ability to produce sound with spatial cues. I dont really think it is subjective. Yes, you cant measure imaging/staging like we cant measure our imagination. Ety lines up excels in almost everything but not really imaging wise.
Ok maybe I am being a language nazi here, but surely imaging and staging is not the same, right? For me, I never heard any iem which has big soundstage, so I will not say that er4sr are especially big when it comes to soundstage. But imaging is different imo, for me er4sr has really accurate imaging capabilities! You can pin point where everything is, and it makes the whole image vivid and clear in your mind.

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #140 of 1,201
Ok maybe I am being a language nazi here, but surely imaging and staging is not the same, right? For me, I never heard any iem which has big soundstage, so I will not say that er4sr are especially big when it comes to soundstage. But imaging is different imo, for me er4sr has really accurate imaging capabilities! You can pin point where everything is, and it makes the whole image vivid and clear in your mind.
Yes they are different. I dont really mind staging as long as they arent congested. Imaging is in my top list. IerM9, Kse1200, really sets my benchmark high when it comes to pinpointing accuracy. Im hoping EVO can at least be more competitive at that term.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #141 of 1,201
Yes they are different. I dont really mind staging as long as they arent congested. Imaging is in my top list. IerM9, Kse1200, really sets my benchmark high when it comes to pinpointing accuracy. Im hoping EVO can at least be more competitive at that term.
To me er4sr are damn accurate. Do you find it to be not accurate?

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #142 of 1,201
To me er4sr are damn accurate. Do you find it to be not accurate?
It's hard to discuss a thing without knowing your experience. Have you heard any of I've mentioned?

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #143 of 1,201
It's hard to discuss a thing without knowing your experience. Have you heard any of I've mentioned?
Yeah I also figured that I don't have any experience regarding high end product. Well I don't think you can expect too much from evo though. After all, er4 will still be their top of the line. Well, at least that's what it seems like.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #144 of 1,201
Yeah I also figured that I don't have any experience regarding high end product. Well I don't think you can expect too much from evo though. After all, er4 will still be their top of the line. Well, at least that's what it seems like.
no big deal. Also, not sure if ER4 does still be their TOTL. It is totally a different approach. ER series will remain as reference series and the EVO looks like the answer to the mass market. I might be wrong.

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #145 of 1,201

There will be a version with the T2 connector that will work with the EVO (or any other T2 earphone). I haven't heard about bundles yet, but I expect that we likely will offer a bundled version.

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #146 of 1,201
There will be a version with the T2 connector that will work with the EVO (or any other T2 earphone). I haven't heard about bundles yet, but I expect that we likely will offer a bundled version.
I hope there’s a bundle. I’m like almost exclusively BT now. Probably would have burned at the stake 10 years ago if I said that 😂

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #147 of 1,201
I hope there’s a bundle. I’m like almost exclusively BT now. Probably would have burned at the stake 10 years ago if I said that 😂
I still feel weird saying that, but those Etymotion cables are dang near perfect. Only thing I wish it had was a little more protection on the cabling itself, but wouldn't want to add the extra weight to get it. Wouldn't mind if the leads were an inch longer on each side, though. Tend to get a lot of microphonics from my hair as a result and there's not enough length to go behind the ear.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #148 of 1,201
Also something to consider, isn't imaging and soundstage very different from person to person? The distance between our ears are all different, the depth of how we insert the Ety's vary. That will mean that it is impossible to say if a headphone / earphone has a big soundstage in generel. It can be true for one person but can it ever be true for all? Recordings are different and some recordings have a big stage and some a small and then there is the HRTF to consider.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #149 of 1,201
Imaging for me is instrument separation.
Soundstage is how far out from my head it sounds.
The only time I have appreciated soundstage is from my HD800S. I have had to remove them off my head a number of times to make sure the sound I was hearing was not from inside the house. Never had that issue with IEMs.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #150 of 1,201
I still feel weird saying that, but those Etymotion cables are dang near perfect. Only thing I wish it had was a little more protection on the cabling itself, but wouldn't want to add the extra weight to get it. Wouldn't mind if the leads were an inch longer on each side, though. Tend to get a lot of microphonics from my hair as a result and there's not enough length to go behind the ear.

The T2 version will be longer as it's designed to go over the ear to work with the EVO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back