Etymotic MK5... any users?
May 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

K_19

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

I recently picked up the Etymotic Kids 5 (my first Ety experience) and found that I really, really enjoy their flat sound for their price. I was surprised to find myself tolerating the comfort factor well, it seems that my ear canals are bigger than usual so the bigger triple flanges fit me really well. Touch noise is a bit annoying but expected of something so isolating and not looping over ear... I use it when I'm stationary most of the time anyway.

Anyways, I like this IEM enough that I am considering a upgrade to the MK5, which just from their external looks seems like Ety Kids with a lower impedance...  I do find myself wishing for a little bit more volume with the Ety Kids... but it seems like thus far the info on MK5 on head-fi seems pretty sparse except for the two fine reviews I found on its product page here. I'm particularly interested in detail how they compare to the Ety Kids and if they're more or less the same, as that's what I'm really looking for. Though I do think that I'll probably go all the way to ER4S at some point, lol. But for now, I'd probably like a more gradual climb up the ladder.

If anyone can chime in that'd be great. Thanks!

May 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 79

Hey all,

I recently picked up the Etymotic Kids 5 (my first Ety experience) and found that I really, really enjoy their flat sound for their price. I was surprised to find myself tolerating the comfort factor well, it seems that my ear canals are bigger than usual so the bigger triple flanges fit me really well. Touch noise is a bit annoying but expected of something so isolating and not looping over ear... I use it when I'm stationary most of the time anyway.

Anyways, I like this IEM enough that I am considering a upgrade to the MK5, which just from their external looks seems like Ety Kids with a lower impedance...  I do find myself wishing for a little bit more volume with the Ety Kids... but it seems like thus far the info on MK5 on head-fi seems pretty sparse except for the two fine reviews I found on its product page here. I'm particularly interested in detail how they compare to the Ety Kids and if they're more or less the same, as that's what I'm really looking for. Though I do think that I'll probably go all the way to ER4S at some point, lol. But for now, I'd probably like a more gradual climb up the ladder.

If anyone can chime in that'd be great. Thanks!

I haven't listened Ety Kids 5 but I'm a MK5 user and had HF5 before and listened ER4S. All I can say is that I do really enjoy MK5 more than HF5 and ER4S. MK5 has more bass than ER4S and HF5 and seems more spacious and more 3D sounding. The details in the mids are amazing and vocals come out very clear and so natural with these even after IM50/70.

It is great bang for the buck.:beerchug:

May 8, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 79
Thanks for your input. Yeah, since MK5 is a dynamic driver I'm sure there'd be a bigger sense of scale and a better bass than what Etys are traditionally assumed to have (which I also notice from my current Ety Kids which are also dynamic drivers, if they're amped). The charts over at Goldenears show pretty much near perfect curve matching the target for these except for the very top end, which had me intrigued. 

Their lower impedance than the Ety Kids seem more practical as well, and since the MK5 is the same design I know I'll be able to get a perfect fit as well. And the price isn't much higher than them either... If the MK5 is even just an Ety Kids with lower impedance and thus better practical IEM's then they'd be well worth that small price increase.

May 8, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 79
  Thanks for your input. Yeah, since MK5 is a dynamic driver I'm sure there'd be a bigger sense of scale and a better bass than what Etys are traditionally assumed to have (which I also notice from my current Ety Kids which are also dynamic drivers, if they're amped). The charts over at Goldenears show pretty much near perfect curve matching the target for these except for the very top end, which had me intrigued. 

Their lower impedance than the Ety Kids seem more practical as well, and since the MK5 is the same design I know I'll be able to get a perfect fit as well. And the price isn't much higher than them either... If the MK5 is even just an Ety Kids with lower impedance and thus better practical IEM's then they'd be well worth that small price increase.

The treble is not laid back or weak. Sure it is not detailed as ER4S but the top end is almost on par or better than HF5 if I my memory serves me well which says a lot I think. Btw, I'm pairing mine with Shure Olive Tips which increases the treble presence and detail. 
wink.gif

May 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 79
Just received MK5 as the 400th in my collection. I really like it over MC5, which I find over-dampened and sounds dull. MK5 is perhaps what MC5 should have sounded like. I really think his is finally the dynamic IEM that Ety can be proud of. I only wish there could be just a tiny bit more crispiness in the treble, then it would be almost perfect. But as it stands, it is still a really good buy for anyone looking for a neutral sound. If you are looking for something just a bit more fun, yet still fairly neutral, Zero Audio DX200 isn't a bad choice either.

May 10, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 79
  Just received MK5 as the 400th in my collection. I really like it over MC5, which I find over-dampened and sounds dull. MK5 is perhaps what MC5 should have sounded like. I really think his is finally the dynamic IEM that Ety can be proud of. I only wish there could be just a tiny bit more crispiness in the treble, then it would be almost perfect. But as it stands, it is still a really good buy for anyone looking for a neutral sound. If you are looking for something just a bit more fun, yet still fairly neutral, Zero Audio DX200 isn't a bad choice either.

Glad to hear that you like it too @ClieOS. If you are using the stock foam or triple flanges, you'd better pair them with Shure Olive Tips for bettering treble refinement. 
wink.gif

May 10, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 79
I have been using tri-flanges on my Ety for a long time now, so eartip isn't really a problem for me.

May 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 79
Same here. I actually have trouble getting a seal with most foam tips in my unusually shaped left ear canal, which ety tripe flanges manages to get a reliable seal every time.

It's nice to see you enjoy them and get your seal of approval, ClieOS. Seems like they do sound close to what their measurements would indicate. As for me, as we all often do, I gave into curiosity and ordered these on ebay yesterday... Should be expecting them in about 1.5 weeks... Looking forward to it and hopefully I can do some basic comparisons with the Etykids which seem very similar to these.

May 10, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 79
I'm curious about the MK5, will they do a headset version like hf3/mc3?

I've the Etykids too, not sure why I bought it, went crazy momentary. Whatever you do, just avoid the mc series. It sounded like the ER4S, flat FR but minus all the details.

May 11, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #10 of 79
I use mk5 along with gr07. It lacks some note extension and crispness in treble but response is flat and stage is in par with es sm64 if memory serves well. I adore the bass in mk5, it's perfect in quantity and detail, I prefer gr07 because of its sparkle, fidelity, sound color and note weight / realism but still mk5 makes me return to it sometimes with its different sound signature and comfortable isolation. I also have a custom mold for mk5 but it doesnt change anything apart from comfort and it's comfortable with its own tips too which I mostly prefer because of easier hygiene. It's has a colder/dry sound if you like live iems like Gr07, im50 and I find mids not organic enough but mostly organic mids mean coloration and you may not prefer or agree to that.

May 11, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 79
I did a quick listen to these recently and quite liked them. Other than low bass being slightly down, they seemed very, very good. I'd say their high frequencies more natural than the GR07 which were too etched in the highs for my tastes. I'm not the biggest fan of triple flange and that's what i used so I'd be curious what else works. Shure olives would fit and be interesting.

May 11, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 79
  I did a quick listen to these recently and quite liked them. Other than low bass being slightly down, they seemed very, very good. I'd say their high frequencies more natural than the GR07 which were too etched in the highs for my tastes. I'm not the biggest fan of triple flange and that's what i used so I'd be curious what else works. Shure olives would fit and be interesting.

Shure olive tips bring out the treble more than both Etymotic tips and they are way more comfortable. You might like them more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back