Etymotic MC5 for jazz + travel on flights?? Is MC3 the same? $75 max budget
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jazzdude1

New Head-Fier
Hi! Just wondering what you experts think of MC5 for noise isolating on flights?
My budget is around $75 maximum...sound-wise, I listen primarily to jazz so don't need
over-blown bass that is found in many IEM's these days for RAP and HIP-HOP stuff.
Looking for clarity and sound quality.
Also, I use an iphone 5 and ipad and am wondering if the MC3 is exactly the same as the
MC5 sound-quality-wise except it will give me the microphone and controls for my ios
devices?

Thanks for your help!
dt880smile.png

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi I have a pair of MC5 and use them mostly on the go (trains and planes) and to listen to jazz. They are *excellent* for this kind of usage and I'd warmly recommend them! They have a neutral, uncoloured presentation that fits jazz perfectly imho.  Plus, their isolation is exceptional (noticeably better than my Shure SE530). 

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
thanks! some people mentioned the Shure se215 as an alternative? any ideas about that one?
seems to be around $100 for those but can get the MC3 for $70 or MC5 for $55

Etymotics and their alien-deep fit might not be comfy for long flghts. Shure SE215 on the other hand is as comfy as IEM gets, especially with the Shure olive foam tips. Also it stays flat to your ears, allowing you to lean on your side comfortably.

You might also want to consider the ambient noise during flights. IEMs with lighter bass tends to have its bass drowned by the ambient noise, no matter how well it isolates. SE215 have bumped up bass, so it compensates well to ambient noise.

That's why I still use SE215 for long flights and not my FitEar F111, which sounds better in silent surrounding imo.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 8
thanks for the reply DeadloveStory!...I'm flying USA-Taipei non-stop...pulled the trigger on MC5 for $55....well, if they are lousy, I guess can return them...
I was attracted by the highly rated noise isolation aspect of them...
reviews on the SE215 sure sound appealing...I've just never spent more than $50 on earbuds...especially because they are so easily
misplaced...I see the SE215 for $99 on Amazon...are they worth twice the price over MC5 you think ?

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 8
You'll be fine with the MC5. IIRC, they come with a pair of foam and glider tips, which will be far more comfortable than the triple-flange tips, especially for a 12-hour flight. Just make sure you fit them deeply like they're intended, and you should get close to the isolation that the triple-flange silicone tips provide. The triple-flange tips are seriously a violation of comfort. I would've actually gone with the Ety-Kids, because they're basically as good as the MC5, with more electrical dampening, while being cheaper, but it's okay, the MC5 is cheap enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back