Etymotic MC3/HF3 release date?
May 28, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #31 of 76
Spyro, unless I read it wrong, all the information I found states that the MC5 will be a dynamic driver, and not a BA or hybrid. Check into that buddy.

May 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #32 of 76
Quote:
Spyro, unless I read it wrong, all the information I found states that the MC5 will be a dynamic driver, and not a BA or hybrid. Check into that buddy.

Also, those on e-Q7 and GR8 are 'moving armature'.

May 29, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #33 of 76

Quote:

ericp10....Yea, I guess technically we still don't know yet.  They are calling it a "moving coil" based driver which is what I think Orotron and Grado also refer it to.  I figured if it was truly a dynamic they would just say, a dynamic driver.  But, yes, at $79 it would lead one to believe it is the dynamic type versus the newer technology (and pricier) moving coil hybrid armatures.  We will find out soon enough.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/etymotic-moving-coil-based-earphones-ears-on/

May 29, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #34 of 76
A little more info right from their press release:  Yes, I guess it will be "dynamic" with some sort of patented tweak to it.  If it competes with $200-range dual drivers it will be like gold!

The mc-series uses more [size=100% !important]affordable[/size] moving coil drivers, and applies a clever Etymotic acoustic treatment to correct performance issues characteristic of moving coil (also known as dynamic) speakers.
“The mc-series uses a patent-pending, response-shaping method that creates an acoustic side branch to redistribute acoustic [size=100% !important]energy[/size]. This modification results in smoothing the undesirable response peak and compensating for weak highs,” said Mead Killion, Ph.D., CTO and president of Etymotic Research. “Each generation of Etymotic earphones has been designed to meet the needs of different user groups. We feel that better sounding earphones will introduce new, budget-conscious users to the Etymotic sound signature.”
MSRP for the mc3 headset is $99 and the mc5 earphones will be available at retail for $79. Etymotic Research will demonstrate the new mc-series of earphones and earphones at booth #3814 in the iLounge Pavilion in the North Hall at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), January 7-10, 2010, in Las Vegas.

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #36 of 76
Just got off the phone.  Awaiting the shipment from the local packager (yes, they send them out for packaging, then another QC check back at Ety HQ).  Should be within the next several days.  Watch the website as it will be posted as soon as available.   I am keenly interested as Ety HQ is down the block from where I work.

Also found out there is a green color as well as the red, cobalt and black.  All may not be available with initial shipment.

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #37 of 76
Ooh, interesting. Hopefully you'll be able to try a pair.
Was Ety at CanJam? With a release date so close, one would hope they chose not to come instead of just barely not receiving the shipment of the MC IEMs in time. That would suck, for everyone. Especially those who would have loved to demo them. If only a CanJam trip wouldn't have cost me around $1100 in the end....

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #38 of 76
Quote:
Just got off the phone.  Awaiting the shipment from the local packager (yes, they send them out for packaging, then another QC check back at Ety HQ).  Should be within the next several days.  Watch the website as it will be posted as soon as available.   I am keenly interested as Ety HQ is down the block from where I work.

Also found out there is a green color as well as the red, cobalt and black.  All may not be available with initial shipment.

Lucky you. I will probably have for several weeks before it reaches Asia. Will love to read your impression soon.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #40 of 76
Jun 17, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #42 of 76
I could have it in my hands tomorrow but I am going to have to show some restraint after getting SE535 this week, especially since it would be quite the downgrade. 

But they look SO COOL!!!
regular_smile .gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #43 of 76
Let me know how it sound guys...I have been waiting for it for so long (I actually said I would buy it, the FX700 and DDM then stop, but boy did the SM3 sidetrack me!!). I'm not expecting it to compete with any of those other IEMs, especially not the SM3, but I'm just curious about the Ety sound with a good heaping of bass. Well, I'll wait for your reviews. No rush either way.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #44 of 76
Will definitely post some impressions. Not sure what to expect and the SM3/DBA combo won't be challenged, but for a knockaround IEM, why not an Ety, if' it's a step up from the er6i (same price range).

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #45 of 76
MC5 is rated 85% accurate by Ety, same as HF5 (which says a lot). While manufacturer rating usually should not to be taken seriously, Ety does employ a more scientific and consistent calculation for their rating system. It will be interesting to see how MC5 compared with HF5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back