Etymotic MC3/HF3 release date?
Mar 31, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think those of you looking for an upgrade over the ER4 are gonna be let down. This is clearly a mass market product aimed at iPod/iPhone users. I too am curious about a Dynamic driver w/ 'Ety' sound but I'm not holding my breath. If Ety makes a $79 RE0 but up to Ety level, we can talk then but I doubt that's what's going to happen. Fingers crossed for an Ety multi BA or moving armature someday.....

X2. Dynamic driver means nothing. Most $5 earbuds have more bass than Ety and are dynamic type. I expect a bit more bass but a very raw and unrefined sound. Trust me, if it were on scale with ER4, it would be priced like ER4. They'd be stupid not to.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 76
I don't know if I'll agree with that. Could be, but who knows? The ER4 came down in price quite a bit. I have the HF5 and thought it sounded great sans lack of bass (although it can be heard with the right insertion). A few people who have heard both the ER4 and HF5 said they sounded quite similar, and a couple told me they couldn't hear the difference. The HF5 came down in price for under $100 in some instances. There are are so many great sounding IEMs now for under $100, so why not think Ety. wouldn't give you more bang for your buck. Average Joe heard the MC5 and said he was very impressed with it, so we'll see. But I understand. I was a huge skeptic when all the praises started being heaped upon Monster IEMs, especially the Miles Davis. Boy, was I wrong!!

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 76
ericp10..I guess it's just my thinking that once an IEM drops below $100, it can only be so good. Unamped I prefer the HF5 to ER4P. Very slight difference. Wow? You prefer HF5 over SE530? That's big! Certainly in the treble. AverageJoe bought my GR8's and says he likes them at least as much or more than e-Q7. He has been busy though...hopefully he posts something soon about his thoughts on them. I ended up missing them so much I bought me another pair. Not the first time that's happened. Great IEM.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #19 of 76
well his e-Q7 is a bit defective so hard to compare :p

we will be able to find out whenever ety decides to release it..although they are taking their sweet time

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #20 of 76
I've played around with the new mc3 and mc5, but not heard them as they were so pristine and I had no ear pieces of my own to use. At least looks and build wise, they seem to be great: metal housing and ACS cable which is damn near invincible in its price category. I think they will be value superstars that actually look and perform well. ETY seem to have a patented system to allow the moving coil speaker to perform a bit 'flatter' ala typical ETY sound.

Again though, I've not heard them, but I expect them to be great earphones/headsets.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #21 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ericp10..I guess it's just my thinking that once an IEM drops below $100, it can only be so good. Unamped I prefer the HF5 to ER4P. Very slight difference. Wow? You prefer HF5 over SE530? That's big! Certainly in the treble. AverageJoe bought my GR8's and says he likes them at least as much or more than e-Q7. He has been busy though...hopefully he posts something soon about his thoughts on them. I ended up missing them so much I bought me another pair. Not the first time that's happened. Great IEM.

Yes @ Spyro, I prefered the HF5 over the SE530, if I think about overall sound. The HF5 allowed me to hear nuances I never heard in other IEM. Now, this has nothing to do with bass (of course the ES530 wins from that standpoint). But when I'm in a special mood, and I had both IEMs staring at me, I was more likely to pick up the HF5 over the ES530. I'm not trying to suggest that the HF5 is better than the ES530, it's just a preference thing for me. Oh, I'm not saying it isn't better than ES530 either....lol Many love the TF10, and I heard some reasons why, but still, overall, the TF10 was a big disappointment to me.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #23 of 76
I have to agree w/ Eric, the treble roll off on the 530 was just too much for me, not a real issue if i let my ears learn to like the roll off after 15 min but that defeats my purpose of a quality IEM.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ ericp why was the tf10 a big dissapointment for you buddy?

Hello lucozade. The mids were too recessed for me, especially when it came to vocals. I tried various tips and the mids always sounded too recessed. And the vocals sound unnatural to me. I must say, however, that with some instrumental jazz the TF10s sounded great from a bass and treble standpoint, but overall, I was disappointed.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #25 of 76
@ ericp, its funny , a lot of people say the mids are recessed on the tf10, but ive never heard them as recessed and im not the only one on here that thinks that way ,lol.

I found them to be well balanced with the bass ,yes the treble is elevated some.
using the compy tips with them did make the bass to muddy and dominate along with the treble though:)

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ ericp, its funny , a lot of people say the mids are recessed on the tf10, but ive never heard them as recessed and im not the only one on here that thinks that way ,lol.

That's true, lucozade, but there are plenty of us who agree with @ericp as well. You couldn't give me a pair of TF10P to listen to.

May 28, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #27 of 76
[size=x-small]Message received today from Ety.  Same sound but cheaper?  Yea, right....WE WANT MORE BASS !!![/size]

[size=x-small]Dear Steve,[/size]
[size=x-small]If you wish to wait for the new MC5 earphones, we anticipate having it in 1-2 weeks and, it offers the same, Etymotic quality sound, but at a lower cost.  [/size]

[size=x-small]Regards,[/size]

[size=x-small]Customer Service
Etymotic Research, Inc.
61 Martin Lane
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
Email:  customer-service@etymotic.com
Toll free:  888-389-6684
Main:  847-228-0006
Fax: 847-228-6836
www.etymotic.com

You know your music.  Etymotic knows your ears.
[/size]

May 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #28 of 76
Spyro, average_joe heard the MC5 at some convention and said they had more bass. I also remember him saying he liked what he heard. I've been waiting for these too. I would love an analytical phone with bass!! That is cheaper too!!

May 28, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #29 of 76
Same quality sound, that doesn't necessarily mean that the sound signature is going to be the same. I still think they're going to have the same ety like sig but with more bass due to to it's moving coil design.

May 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #30 of 76
I am sure Orotron and Grado are waiting with baited breath to find out what MC5 will sound like considering their "moving coil" armature IEM's are at $300 plus versus $79 for the Ety.

This IEM and Ety may very well end up undisputably owning the IEM world at under $100 pricepoint which would be a very smart move.  At $79 they could even sell it at big box stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back