Etymotic MC3/HF3 release date?
Mar 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

hpaddict

New Head-Fier
Anyone have any info on the release dates for the Etymotic MC3/HF3? Just very strange that Etymotic never even narrowed it down to a specific month (especially for the HF3, I mean c'mon, it's only adding two buttons to the remote). Last I read on some forum posts, it was maybe April. I emailed Etymotic and haven't gotten a response. I did see an ad for the MC3 in an April issue of some Apple product magazine.

I like the HF2, but I really need the volume controls on the remote. If I have to wait any long, I'll have to go with the Klipsch S4i. Anyone here think the S4i's are a better choice than the HF2's?

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 76
There is another thread on this. I spoke to them about 2-3 weeks ago and they told me there is no release date other than it should be out "sometime this spring." Assuming no real delays that means we could be waiting until June. Hopefully not though.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 76
I'd definitely go with the HF2 over the S4i. I heard the S4 once a long time ago for ~15 minutes so I don't remember it that well, but from everything I've read it seems to be a true flavor of the month. It impresses out of the box and is fairly comfortable, but has sibilance issues and is surpassed by other phones in its price range. The Hippo VB is the better bassy choice for around that price FWIR. If you want a decent pair of IEMs with a mic until the etys come out, look at the me-electronics M9P.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 76
Does anyone know whether the HF3 is supposed to be above or below the HF5? If it's below the HF5 I'll really want to know why ety is wasting their time on these instead of making the real successor to the ER4.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 76
Nobody knows and it is a valid question. We know it should have more bass but for $79.00....I can't possibly think it is very refined sounding but stranger things have happened. I think this is the most anticipated IEM release this year. The HF5 was mainly ergonomic changes so I think this one will definitely be more sonic changes.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd definitely go with the HF2 over the S4i. I heard the S4 once a long time ago for ~15 minutes so I don't remember it that well, but from everything I've read it seems to be a true flavor of the month. It impresses out of the box and is fairly comfortable, but has sibilance issues and is surpassed by other phones in its price range. The Hippo VB is the better bassy choice for around that price FWIR. If you want a decent pair of IEMs with a mic until the etys come out, look at the me-electronics M9P.

Agreed. Initially I liked the S4i better. The more I listened, the more I was drawn to the HF2. Hard to explain, but they just seem "easier" to listen to.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know whether the HF3 is supposed to be above or below the HF5? If it's below the HF5 I'll really want to know why ety is wasting their time on these instead of making the real successor to the ER4.

Last I heard, the HF3 is exactly the same as the HF2 except with the addtion of volume controls on the mic. The HF2 is in turn exactly the same as the HF5 except with the addition of a mic with button controls. Short answer -- soundwise, all three should be identical. I always thought it was strange that they used lower numbers for more expensive variation in the same model line.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 76
It's been two days since my last inquiry to Etymotic customer service and no response. I don't understand why this is being kept such a mystery. MC3 I can understand maybe, but HF3? It's just adding two buttons on the mic. C'mon, it's not an IPhone 4G or PS4.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuinlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been pushed back to april for the moment.

Makes sense...I saw an ad for the MC3/MC5 in an April issue of an Apple magazine about a week ago. Should be soon then...the anticipation is killing me! The ad didn't say "coming soon" or anything like that, which almost makes it seem like they're currently available, which they obviously aren't. You can't even preorder anywhere.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 76
Just heard from Ety customer service that's still "sometime in spring, no definite date". The first day of summer this year is June 21, so it could be a long wait. I think I'll just pull the trigger on the HF2.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 76
I'm disappointed that the Etymotic mc3 headset is not yet available.
triportsad.gif
I was hoping to get one by now, too.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 76
I think those of you looking for an upgrade over the ER4 are gonna be let down. This is clearly a mass market product aimed at iPod/iPhone users. I too am curious about a Dynamic driver w/ 'Ety' sound but I'm not holding my breath. If Ety makes a $79 RE0 but up to Ety level, we can talk then but I doubt that's what's going to happen. Fingers crossed for an Ety multi BA or moving armature someday.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back