Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?
Sep 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JD1993

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase headphones within the sub $130 range. Which of these IEM's do you think is best? Can you recommend other ones if you find one that you think is better? I listen to basically all genres of music. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 8
I will listen to anything as well!

If I were a New Guy starting out...

I would snag a set of the Etymotic MC5s.

I would then perform the NRB Mod on em.

Then I would take the coin I saved and buy... Oh, I don't know, an amp maybe?

Just my opinion, Jim

PS Others will be along soon.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 8
I have a FiiO e7, so I already have an amp. I also have 4 headphones, including Sennheiser HD598, VMODA Crossfade LP, Bose QC 15, and the Philips Uptown Citiscape. I just don't want to carry around one of those headphones,so I am deciding on an IEM to buy.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Should I upgrade it to the HF5? Or just stick with the MC5? Also, which one is better to carry around and take with you to places. Like keeping it in your pocket.

They would both be a good choice and serve your purpose like for like.

The difference is going to be first in driver type...

MC5 8mm Dynamic
HF5 Balanced Armature

The second difference that I can think of is going to be housing diameter. Naturally the MC5 is a little bigger. That will matter to some, based on the deep insertion requirement of the Ety Line. But, It does provide the BEST Noise Isolation of any IEM out there.

Otherwise, They are both Etys.

Jim

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 8
The bigger housing diameter just means that it has more bass, right? i really don't want bass heavy IEM's, I prefer balanced over something being heavy. Also, does the fact that it goes in deep in your ear affect the comfort and the sound quality?

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
The bigger housing diameter just means that it has more bass, right? i really don't want bass heavy IEM's, I prefer balanced over something being heavy. Also, does the fact that it goes in deep in your ear affect the comfort and the sound quality?

Not really. It just has to do with the physical size of a dynamic driver vs a balanced armature. Also according to the Etymotic website, they both have the same accuracy score.

As far as the deep seal goes. The deeper seal prevents the occlusion effect that would be experienced with a shallow fit IEM.

Comfort for me is 8 plus hours with Comply Foam tips.

You should really go to each IEMs website for those that you might purchase and explore them. Finding out warranty, specs, and the like.

Cheers, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back