Etymotic HF3 and cleaning the CustomFit inserts
Jun 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

econ

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys;
I just upgraded my host of Meelectronics IEMs to Etymotics with CustomFits.  I had a hard time always keeping my other IEMs clean though and I listen for rather long hours at a time at my long computer oriented jobs/tasks. 

Anyone else do long sessions and have advice on how/when/ to keep these customs spiffy and clean for the long haul?  Easy enough to replace the silicon flanges whenever I bought another Meelec pair but customs...not so much.

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 2
No responses, but wanted to at least close this thread with a self-reponse.

Got the CustomFit inserts a week ago and they are fantastic.  Definitely worth the $100 entry fee and should sweeten the deal toward EtyMotics if you're on the fence for IEMs. 

They are comfortable in the extreme and reveal the flaws of flanged silicon inserts.  Maybe this is obvious but I wasn't prepared for how cleanly and comfortably they seal off the ear canal.  You can forget they're in your ear.  (No joke, I stood up and walked away from my computer a few times with them still in.  Maybe I'm just a bit slow though...) 

To the point of the first post, they are far easier to care for than I was thinking.  A little water on a napkin corner will clean them off before you toss them in the case after a long plane ride or day at starbucks being a mobile warrior. Even just a dry napkin is good.  They don't get "gunky" like the flanged inserts and because they are solid are much easier to clean than flimsy flanges.

They are also more robust than I thought and I'm not worried about shortening their lifespan with dirt or messiness.  I was just being over-protective of my new investment. 

Other tips: They do take a long time to come in to the audiologist where you order them.  And chances are you'll be the first person to do the CustomFit program at that place.  I called all the places in my area and none had actually used the program yet, though they all "kind of" remembered signing up for it and getting a memo about it at a staff meeting. 

So with that in mind, have at it.  Cheers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back