Etymotic for high-end?
Mar 19, 2009 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Patrick82

Banned
I'm wondering if I should replace my K1000 with Etymotic earphones? I need more neutrality. Bass and soundstage is not important.
Also, can the ER4S be driven from XLR outputs of Benchmark DAC1?

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Do it, do it!
...and re cable them with some VD Judge...

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Can you volume control the XLR outputs directly? I guess not, do you just use the digital volume control on your music player or something?

Sounds like a good way to get crispy earbuds.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Doesn't get more neutral than the K-1000s. But the ER4s have a similar sound. But they aren't going to get you near the K-1000s, had both for a long time - I currently prefer the Phonak PFEs to the Etys, and the Phonaks are just as neutral but more musical.... maybe you could upgrade the .... out of them though and see how far you can get them... that would be more interesting.... so go for it
happy_face1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 12
No, the ER4s are good on paper, but are very un-neutral in practice.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you volume control the XLR outputs directly? I guess not, do you just use the digital volume control on your music player or something?

Sounds like a good way to get crispy earbuds.

You can actually, at least on the DAC1 USB version; there is a toggle switch on the back panel that lets you switch between variable and fixed volume. Better make sure its on variable though before you turn it on :p

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 12
I have both and like both. The Ety's are obviously very isolating. Not only do they isolate you from your environment (airplanes, etc), they also don't bother people near you. I have used them in bed w/o bothering my wife, etc. Primary use is in portable settings (with iPhone).

K1000's are kinda the opposite. Non-isolating and noisy to those nearby.

I think they can both be satisfying musically. I have owned both for a long time and will not part with either.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 12
They are great with certain tweaks, and really scale with high end sources, but I wouldn't use them as an end of all earphone. The reason is not frequency related, but bound to the transient response. There is some hardness to the notes that becomes a problem in direct comparison with other high end headphones. I think this is due to the overemphasized rising edge shown by impulse response tests, as well as the shortened decay. This is partially responsible of the hyperdetail feeling, but the drawback is this kind of hardness/shoutiness to the notes across the whole spectrum.
It's more than tolerable for a portable rig (even the most butt-kicker one), but for a well thought home setup you would be better served by a high end Stax.

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by S J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wor...-er4-p-391729/ I think you'd need female XLR's though... Why exactly do you want to do this? lol

That link makes me excited. Is it true that I can just push the conductors inside the phones instead of solder? 22awg fits?

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are great with certain tweaks, and really scale with high end sources, but I wouldn't use them as an end of all earphone. The reason is not frequency related, but bound to the transient response. There is some hardness to the notes that becomes a problem in direct comparison with other high end headphones. I think this is due to the overemphasized rising edge shown by impulse response tests, as well as the shortened decay. This is partially responsible of the hyperdetail feeling, but the drawback is this kind of hardness/shoutiness to the notes across the whole spectrum.
It's more than tolerable for a portable rig (even the most butt-kicker one), but for a well thought home setup you would be better served by a high end Stax.

K1000 sound veiled and boomy to me, I need something tighter, I think the Etymotic are my dream phones.

I will get the portable version ER4P instead and plug it into Genesis XLR interconnects which is connected to EMU0404 USB, I don't want an amp.
But what about the stock 5feet wiring and 3.5mm plug? I can use 3.5mm to XLR female adapter?

I have 80cm Valkyrja wiring inside closet, maybe I can use that between phones and Genesis. The Valkyrja veils and smoothens out the sound so it should be a good synergy match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back