Etymotic EVO: World Tour
Jul 26, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #196 of 232
In the bass region, the magnitude (coloured) is much lower than the Pinna-region, but decays remains as long. Is that a smoking gun for the other bass drivers making sure that the (total if you like) bass decays 'slow' like a DD? Physicist here, y-units are off (m =/=ms) :p
If you look carefully at the top, there's a sneaky s in there. Now you know why REW is free :D

I am a research scientist, so I know what you are talking about lol.

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #197 of 232
If you look carefully at the top, there's a sneaky s in there. Now you know why REW is free :D

I am a research scientist, so I know what you are talking about lol.
I know your profession, I found it funny indeed. I am not completely sure about the magnitude's units, dB seems a bit high, maybe normalised to a certain level?
Also, I have not seem similar plots of say the ER4, was my interpretation (and question) valid?

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #198 of 232
I know your profession, I found it funny indeed. I am not completely sure about the magnitude's units, dB seems a bit high, maybe normalised to a certain level?
Also, I have not seem similar plots of say the ER4, was my interpretation (and question) valid?
dB is high because I hadn't input the correct SPL readings into REW lol. I use ARTA mostly, and this was just out of curiosity and used in another IEM review. I don't have experience with the ER4, or any other Etymotic product actually, but yes I am thinking along the same lines. This is one of the least fatiguing IEMs to listen to owing to the fairly consistent and symmetrical decay.

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #199 of 232
Exciting update for the Australia tour:
I just learned minutes ago (literally) that not only the Australia tour unit was shipped, it should actually arrive @Audio Fun tomorrow :)

Our 4 friends from down under are in for some EVO fun times!

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #200 of 232
Exciting update for the Australia tour:
I just learned minutes ago (literally) that not only the Australia tour unit was shipped, it should actually arrive @Audio Fun tomorrow :)

Our 4 friends from down under are in for some EVO fun times!
It’s actually today! It’s morning here in Australia. I’m so excited to check it out.

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #204 of 232
@Zachik
Update:Australia#1 received.
I will give it a listen later tonight when I get back home, impression coming soon!

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #205 of 232
Some really early impression.
Non sound impression:
The unboxing experience is outstanding, most sustainable package I ever seen.
Really thin cable and no heat-shrink ear guides, if you own the E3000, it’s thinner than than. But the material been used is definitely on the other levels.
Fits is like ER4 with additional support on the ear canal, but personally I much prefer the ER4 type of fit, mostly due to the unergonomic design of the cable.
Build and design of the IEMs is simply outstanding, look fairy futuristic.

Sound
Typical Ety house sound, if you like the ER4XR, then Yes!! it’s definitely a upgrade.
Better sub bass extension and texture, more detail in the midrange with clearer presentation, the treble also extend further and sound relatively brighter. The imaging has also been improved significantly, soundstage is also wider and tad deeper.
Sitting at $500USD price category, emmm, I wouldn’t necessary pick it over the ER4 (I can get it for $300USD now).
But, if you simply enjoy the Etymotic sound signature and you looking for more bass presence and better technical performance, then YES!! it is a really solid IEMs to get.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #208 of 232
Hey @Zachik - did Crinacle opt out of the tour? I remember seeing him on the last list
Yes, his out, I got my one as a first unit directly from Etymotic. I believe he already tried it out, cuz he got the FR measured already.

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #210 of 232
On page 5 he tried to join and came in late. There are no measurements on his site.
Ohh, true! Hahaha I probably mixed up with some others graph. But you can refer to number 2 post “July 17 update: @crinacle decided to drop from the Australia tour.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back