Etymotic EVO: World Tour
Jun 12, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #76 of 232
Awesome! Enjoy it thoroughly. I have patience and don't want you to feel like you're being rushed on my account. Getting my ears back in Ety mode anyway with long listening sessions on the ER4XR, swapping between the Etymotion cable, A&K SR25, Cayin N5iiS, and a couple E1DA DAC/amps. Crazy how well that pair scales with the source, by the way. Interested to see how the EVO fairs to similar treatment (minus the BT arrangement as I have no MMCX/IPX adapters.
Since I do not have the ER4XR - I will be VERY curious to read your impressions comparing the EVO to the ER4XR. That is probably a better comparison than to the ER3XR (which I did).
I just received the Etymotion BT cable a few days ago, and working on my impressions :wink: I wish I could use it with the EVO...

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #77 of 232
Since I do not have the ER4XR - I will be VERY curious to read your impressions comparing the EVO to the ER4XR. That is probably a better comparison than to the ER3XR (which I did).
I just received the Etymotion BT cable a few days ago, and working on my impressions :wink: I wish I could use it with the EVO...
I was really excited about the bolded statement, until the end of your post. Hope Ety does release a version of their EtyMotion cable for the EVO soon. I'll probably buy the UE one to tide me over though (assuming I like the EVO and don't return them). All of my Etymotic IEMs are SR/SE.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #78 of 232
It's a fantastic cable for an already fantastic IEM. To be honest, I'm looking forward to having an actual IEM shell to give me a better idea for how deep is too deep on insertion. Always seem to overdo it with these tiny shells.
I was really excited about the bolded statement, until the end of your post. Hope Ety does release a version of their EtyMotion cable for the EVO soon. I'll probably buy the UE one to tide me over though (assuming I like the EVO and don't return them). All of my Etymotic IEMs are SR/SE.
Curious to see your take on the UE adapter if you do. $100 isn't too bad, but I see no data on codec support at the moment.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #79 of 232
Hope Ety does release a version of their EtyMotion cable for the EVO soon.
That makes 2 of us :wink:
Without spoilers from my upcoming impressions - I really like the Etymotion. The thing that impressed me the most immediately (and I will definitely mention it in the impressions) was how quiet it is. I could not detect any hiss even with the ER3SE which are the most sensitive from the ER2/3/4 lines. That hiss made me give up on several BT receivers in the past.

Back to EVO now...

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #80 of 232
The first EVO to land on Asian soil. Now in Malaysia, ahead of the scheduled delivery. Here's hoping no dramas with clearances:ksc75smile:
EVO Landed.PNG

Jun 12, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #81 of 232
Since I announced the 5th tour unit to be focused on New Zealand and Australia - I saw ZERO new registrations.
@gikigill - you wrote you would be happy to lead a tour in Aus/NZ. Now is your chance to gather a bunch (and have them register) :wink:

Let me see what i can do.

EDIT: I have 4 so far, will that do.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #83 of 232
It's a fantastic cable for an already fantastic IEM. To be honest, I'm looking forward to having an actual IEM shell to give me a better idea for how deep is too deep on insertion. Always seem to overdo it with these tiny shells.

Curious to see your take on the UE adapter if you do. $100 isn't too bad, but I see no data on codec support at the moment.
So if you dig through the UE BT cable manual, you can quickly see the Jaybird logo pop up quite a bit. On top of that, you can see on page 19 (and others) the name Jaybird Freedom pops up as the name of the BT device. On page 25 is lists AAC and SBC as the only available codecs which is unfortunate for Android uses, but for iOS users, that’s sufficient. The info in the manual makes me think that UE outsourced the cable creation and that it is a modified Jaybird Freedom cable designed to fit the UE IPX. I’m unsure if the cable is based on the Freedom (1) or Freedom 2. If it’s based off the Freedom 2, then it might be compatible with the Jaybird app in the App Store which includes some small features (including an EQ). Replacement charging clips can be bought from Jaybird directly; they’re available in black, red, and blue.

Edit: now if the cable supports the app, I feel like it’s probably worth the 99 dollar asking price. I may or may not though. I’m definitely going to buy it and see.

Edit 2: app supports both Jaybird Freedom (1) and Freedom 2.

Edit 3: I have seen at least one review state that the cable does have a hiss to it, which is unfortunate. I guess I’ll test and see.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #84 of 232
Jun 13, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #87 of 232
Guys & Gals - please provide:
* Your location (city & country) - currently looking for NZ & AUS
* Source to be used for the impressions/review
* Previous Etymotic experience/products you own or used to (if any)
* Link to previous reviews/impression

Thanks!

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #88 of 232
I'm also confirming my interest in the Australian tour!

In Sydney, sources are my Sammy/ipad via apple USB C adaptor to dilvpoetry r50. Or the Sony a15

I have had the ety er4s and miss the sound a great deal

Previous reviews -https://www.head-fi.org/members/n05ey.359488/

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #89 of 232
Jun 13, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #90 of 232
Guys & Gals - please provide:
* Your location (city & country) - currently looking for NZ & AUS
* Source to be used for the impressions/review
* Previous Etymotic experience/products you own or used to (if any)
* Link to previous reviews/impression

Thanks!
- Melbourne, Australia
- I’ll use either a Luxury & Precision W2, A&K SP2000, iBasso DX300 and/or a Sony DMP-Z1.
- No Etymotic experience
- Only “formal” review was a joint review I did with SLC1966 on Vision Ears Elysium. Link here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-elysium.23939/reviews
- I have done many informal impressions posts on a variety of IEM’s. Latest one was for qdc Anole V14. Link: Post in thread 'flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...ortable-audio-discussion.826876/post-16402764

Users who are viewing this thread

Back