Etymotic ER6i, Ultimate Ears super.fi 3, or Shure SE210
Jul 30, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 15
I bought the ER6 for around $80 and will buy them again. I sold my Shure E4Pro and bought the ER6 after experiencing the ER4P.

It really depends on what flavor you like.

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 15
pfft Westone UM1 for that price.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 15
To my ears, the er-6i will give you lots of isolation, detailed trebles, but almost no bass at all.

I haven't heard the others - so I'm afraid I can't offer a comparison. Happy shopping.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 15
ER-6i's are great IEMs. A lot of folks complaiin that the bass is lacking. I see this as 1) the seal in your ear is not adequate or 2) you have been to too many clubs where the bass is pumped up to levels not intended by the recording artist. I stopped using any EQ except for in my truck to counteract road noise. Try listening to music without EQ for awhile and you may begin to appreciate music you are familiar with all over again. Yes, the ER-6i's are accurate and lovely. I like them particualrly with Jazz and Classical.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 15
I second breakfastchef, especially with regards to not EQing and really opening your ears to hearing the detail in the music as mixed and produced by the artists.

I recently bought the SE210 and returned them to get the Ety Er4p. I have run through 2 pairs of Er6i's in the past and love them. The Shure's sounded very muddy in low and mid ranges and lacked the detail that I had been accustomed to after listening through Etys for 3 years.

I haven't tried the UE's so i can't give you any comparison there.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 15
I can't speak for The UE s.f3, But ER6i over Shure.
I started my can quest with them, beautiful sound reproduction. The 3.5 jack isn't very sturdy though, and I was careless getting the wire caught on things.
Eventually the sound went out from losing the connection to the jack.
I "upgraded" to a Shure E4c to my wife's dismay. ($$$) I wasn't blown away by the sound reproduction, but thought they were a solid pair of cans. Loved the thick cable, contra-angled 3.5 plug. After 9 months, the cables were detaching at the ear, started with a small split, then detached completely in 1 1/2 months. Sent them back to Shure, got a new set of SE420's to replace them.
I was excited as hell, new model; expected improvements with the new look, determined to be extra careful with them. Fast-forward to now (8 months later). Wires are covered by glue gun (electrical tape didn't work very well, nor heat shrink tubing). and are cutting out when my head turns.

Ordered a new set of ER6i's last night.

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodofeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak for The UE s.f3, But ER6i over Shure.

Ordered a new set of ER6i's last night.

x2.
While the 6is are hardly the last word in SQ, they more than hold their own.
At current pricing, they are hard to beat.

Aug 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodofeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind posting an update for how you like them?

Give me about a week with them so they're burned in nicely, then I'll tell you how i like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back