Etymotic ER6i and Head Direct RE2
Feb 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jarrett

500+ Head-Fier
This has probably been done to death, but from all my reading it's the logical upgrade for someone who has owned the ER6i and don't want to spend more.

3293667242_47e51e149a.jpg

Etymotic ER6i

The left channel died after 2 years. The only symptoms of this happening were audible signs of distortion or 'buzzing' in some high frequencies.

3293667324_e4d3cd3168.jpg

Head-Direct RE2

I'll make it brief for owners of the ER6i...

The most obvious differences are the improvement in detail, soundstaging(!), mids, and more bass. They aren't as accurate to my ears, but have the same sort of balanced sound signature if you're looking for more of the same. In my opinion you don't have to EQ the bass, like the ER6i, to get acceptable amounts - I'm a Classical and Jazz listener so for me 'enough' is enough. The highs are not as present or perhaps they are rolled off sooner. I don't know why people describe them as 'fun' sounding, if anything they are more laidback and have an aura of softness to them lol. Isolation difference isn't worth bringing up so I'm calling it the same. Honestly, I want transit noise to drain out, not isolate me from reality. The cord is stiff, 5' in length, round (ER6i has two joined wires until they split for left and right), and did not come with the extension I read about (Edit: A 5' cord ships with new versions). Also it comes with a clip which I found extremely useful with the ER6i. I think the ER6i and my Sony had better synergy because the RE2 doesn't have the same 'slam' to the sound I remember. There was no audible hiss when the RE2's were plugged into my Sony like the ER6i's had, but I wonder if this is more an issue of the phones not having the same high frequency reproduction.

It's a good upgrade, but don't expect positive improvement in every single area!

Things I've played thus far: Ali Farka Toure (In The Heart Of The Moon), Giacinto Scelsi (Works for Chorus and Orchestra), Charles Mingus (Epitaph), Bartok (Concerto for Orchestra, Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta), Bach Cello Suites (Rostropovich), FM Radio

They probably only have 10 hours of break-in if anyone was curious. I'm not one of those people who absolutely must burn-in for 50 hours before they allow themselves to enjoy what they have
tongue.gif

Edit: A 5' cord ships with new orders stated here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f87/wh...7/#post5448683

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 9
I can't compare to others because I don't own those. ER6i were definitely anemic even with +1 Clear Bass on the Sony. RE2's have more bass with the Clear Bass feature turned off.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Left channel on the RE2's is making the slow-death buzzing sound occasionally. They are almost unusable now because the minijack connection on the headphones has something wrong with it. When they are plugged in it sounds like the minijack is only halfway in and has the sound signature of a telephone (limited frequency range). I tried another pair of earbuds and they work perfectly fine, so it's obvious the RE2's are passing on...sadly after just 8 months?!

What do people recommend in the <$100 price range guys? What are people talking about?

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Hate to trumpet this, but I suspect my RE0's are failing me. I received this pair late Nov '09 and just tonight the minijack started acting up. Exactly the same problem as the RE2 and I noticed the buzzing sound now and then over the last several months which is an indicator of a deteriorating connection in the cable/jack? That makes it 10 months with the RE0. I'll give it a rest overnight, try a few more times, then I'll take this seriously lol.

As much as I love Head-Direct and their support, it's very difficult to continue to go back they won't last a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back