Etymotic er6
Mar 28, 2006 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

asap2006

Head-Fier
OK, so I've gone from cx300 and creative ep630 to the Westone UM1....

I'm still searching for the most accurate/neutral sound for around 100.

I know the differences between the 6 and the 6i, but I want to confirm before I purchase.

If I were to drive these with a good DAP with strong output, for example the monolith premium or iaudio u3 and I want the most accurate sound, I should get the er6 right? Or should I still get the er6is. I know that etymotics site says the er6 is more accurate and this is what I'm thinking too, but does that still hold true with a DAP like the iaudio or monolith?

Looking for the most neutral/detailed sound.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by asap2006
If I were to drive these with a good DAP with strong output, for example the monolith premium or iaudio u3 and I want the most accurate sound, I should get the er6 right? Or should I still get the er6is. I know that etymotics site says the er6 is more accurate and this is what I'm thinking too, but does that still hold true with a DAP like the iaudio or monolith?

ER-6 is more accurate with an amp.

For DAP usage, I really think the er-6i is preferable, since it's easier to drive. And note that many people find the er-6i lacking in bass at first (I don't, I think it's quite good) - the er-6 would be even more lacking.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 6
Altec Lansing iM716 for $110. Both the ER-6 and iM716 have an "accuracy score" of 90%, but in actual listening the iM716 sounds better, amped or unamped.

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Would the ER-6's work fairly well with Cowon's customizable sound? Or would any "limitations" in the ER-6's (vs. the bassier ER-6i's) prevent the listener from taking advantage of the iAudio tweakability?

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the responses...I decided on the er6, not the i's mainly because of etymotic's specs/graph of frequency reponse. I didn't like the fact that bass and midrange were boosted by 8dbs while the treble response was not. Etymotic claims a 90% accuracy with the er6 and an 81% with er6i, er4s is 92%. We'll see how it goes, if I don't like the sound I'll exchange them for the er6is.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by asap2006
Thanks for the responses...I decided on the er6, not the i's mainly because of etymotic's specs/graph of frequency reponse. I didn't like the fact that bass and midrange were boosted by 8dbs while the treble response was not. Etymotic claims a 90% accuracy with the er6 and an 81% with er6i, er4s is 92%. We'll see how it goes, if I don't like the sound I'll exchange them for the er6is.

Yes but the ER4P, designed specifically for portables, is 86%. What does it really mean?

Don't forget, these are Etys graphs as to what they consider 100% "accurate". Some users consider this accuracy to tend towards analytical and dry. This is quite different from the warm UM1s or the bass prominent cx300 and ep630. Don't be put off by the 8db 'boost'. The Ety 'sound' is not known for artificially heavy bass by any means. For a nice review of these phones:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84830

Both the ER6i and ER4P are designed for DAP use, and both have lower impedances than their respective siblings. The Altec iM716, an Ety clone, is also worthy of consideration and may offer more variability of sound signature with its HD/ Bass switch.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back