Etymotic ER6 compared to ER6i
Dec 6, 2008 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Usama

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have been lurking headfi for several days now and finally decided to make a post.

I had the Etymotic ER6. But I did get good seal and everything with the foams but was not satisfied with the bass. It was good, I could hear it but I want to feel it. However, the highs and mids were very detailed and clear. I really liked that about the ER6. How much of an improvement of bass does the ER6i have over the ER6? I know that would be hard to quantify but any responses/opinions will do.

I exchanged the ER6 for ER6i, recently hoping that the ER6i are the answer.

I have also been searching the internets for better bass-reproducing IEM's and have come across the Ultimate ears super.fi 5 pro or EB IEM's but they seem to be out of my price range. I don't want to spend more than 150$ with taxes and shipping included. Secondly, it would be hard to find a good deal on them, since I live in Canada and a lot of sales are for US customers only, online.

Finally, I have also read that generally, across the board, IEM's have difficulty with reproducing bass because of the small microdrivers. I like IEM's because of the sound isolation, light-weight, and highly detailed sound.

Anyone know of any good budget IEM's (100-199$) with boomy type of bass, where I can feel it instead of just hearing it, according to the thread below?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/doe...01/index2.html

My introduction to IEM came from a pair of Centrios(circuit city brand) that I purchased on sale. These earphones were using comply tips. They were priced 35$ on sale and I lost them several months ago, now I am willing to spend 150$ CAD for a good pair.

P.S. I hope my IEM life story here makes sense, since I am too lazy to proofread for grammar or spelling.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 15
Denon C551's for pure basshead although the Nuforce NE-7M are around the same price so yeah....

I have little doubt that the Nuforce NE-7M would have better detail in the highs than the c551's but the bass = really dunno.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the reccomendation. I forgot to mention that I will be using my IEM's mostly for commutes to Uni, in my Sony DNF4330 mp3/CD player that has 15+15=30mW current, if that makes a difference. Secondly, I listen to a lot of funk and soul so stuff like Bootsy collins, Whispers, James Brown, KATG, brothers johnson, shalamar, and otis redding. Basically, bass guitar type stuff.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 15
using a bit of eq i can get plenty of bass from my ER-6

i have never heard the 6i so i can't say how much of a difference there is

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
using a bit of eq i can get plenty of bass from my ER-6

i have never heard the 6i so i can't say how much of a difference there is

I do have bass boost on my MP3 player but the bass was almost there. I had to raise the volume too about 65-80%, when I normally enjoy my music at 40%, to get enough bass. I use the foam tips that seem to give more bass than flanged tips.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 15
Almost anything you choose will have more bass than the ER-6i so don't fret with whatever you choose. I think we know you want bass but what other kind of sound do you want? I'm guessing the atrio's will be great though if you want to feel bass because they're dynamic drivers as opposed to the armatures found in most others that sound pretty good.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 15
hoeboe, he hhas the 6, is getting the 6i. please read more carefully.

the 6i is fine for bass to my ears, the 6 is a bit light. if the 6i isnt enough, either get some good (sony, cowon, sansa) EQ or get a FiiO

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoeboe2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost anything you choose will have more bass than the ER-6i so don't fret with whatever you choose. I think we know you want bass but what other kind of sound do you want? I'm guessing the atrio's will be great though if you want to feel bass because they're dynamic drivers as opposed to the armatures found in most others that sound pretty good.

That is good to hear. I thought all IEM's would be like the Etymotic's where it is awesome highs but small lows. The Westone 3's are worth the hype, I wish I had 500$CAD.

I don't want to carry around a portable amp. Another thing I forgot to mention. Maybe the dual driver UM2's will go down in price, with the newly released Westone 3's. Who knows? But it definitely looks like the Nuforce NE-7M would be the perfect type for me. Until I can someday afford Westone 3.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hoeboe, he hhas the 6, is getting the 6i. please read more carefully.

the 6i is fine for bass to my ears, the 6 is a bit light. if the 6i isnt enough, either get some good (sony, cowon, sansa) EQ or get a FiiO

I think I read it fine. If you continue to read below, you'll see he wants a bassy earphone where you can feel the bass and he said he already exchanged the 6 for the 6i.

You can also try to the Denon C700/C751s. They come in a little over a hundred and have plenty of bass. The treble is a bit harsh and sibilant. It was tough for me to find a great fit with the rubber tips (I had to not push them all the way against the ear but at the same time I had to push it enough to find a small sweet spot to get a good seal) although your results may vary. I got some Complys foam tips and they fit great, but they're a bit pricey and they do wear out.

Best bet I think is to go to a place where you can try some headphones out or even buy some somwhere with a good return policy to see what you like or don't like. I say this because going from something like an ER6i, and then going to something like say the super.fi 5 EB or Atrio M5, you're going from one end of the spectrum to the other and you might not enjoy it as much as you would think. But even if you end up not liking them too much, at least you'll know what you like or don't. And you'll end up with a nice complement to your ER-6i's.

Happy shopping! =)

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 15
Finding a store with a good return policy is hard, living in Canada. None of the stores in my local area, really do not have a large enough selection so many of the IEM's mentioned here, are non-existant where I live. Having mentioned that, here are the headphones I am debated between, with a budget of 120$ USD:

Denon C5(5,7)1
Nuforce NE-7M

Are there any other IEM's within my budget range that have the oomph type bass, where I can feel it instead of just hearing it? By the way, is there a glossary sticky somewhere on headfi? I am trying to understand what soundstage means. Judging by the context, of the comments I have been reading, does it mean the area where you feel the bass in your head?

Finally, I cannot believe that ER6 are the ones I got, I read so many reviews, where people were telling me to be wary of the tiny bass but I could not pass up the deal I got for the ER6.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 15
The Ety ER-6i are my standard portable IEM's since I don't really have the money to buy any others quite yet, and they are lacking in the bass, especially the 'feeling bass' area. past that I enjoy them immensely.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 15
I am having a bit of relapse about purchasing the super.fi EB's since a lot of people have said that there is too much bass, like you are in a club. Is the sound where you are standing right next to the speaker at a club?

The atrios are too exclusive and hard to find a deal for a Canadian I don't want to go higher than 150 but the Denon's and Atrios both are $200+. I would get Nuforce but I have read that they do not do isolation very well. Another thing, the EB's have low resistance, does this mean very loud sound at lower volume levels and what are the disadvantages/advantages of low impedance IEMs? Other than being easier to drive with portable music players.

I have listened to the ER6i and ER6, do all other IEM's seriously have more quantity of bass than the Etymotics? I am thinking about looking at Shure 210's because I should be able to find a deal on those.

My budget is no more than $150 USD, not including shipping or taxes. And I am Canadian, if that makes a difference.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jezza.risky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ety ER-6i are my standard portable IEM's since I don't really have the money to buy any others quite yet, and they are lacking in the bass, especially the 'feeling bass' area. past that I enjoy them immensely.

By the way, I definitely agree on the price and SQ. The Etymotics make you appreciate the nuances of the music for sure but it is hard to have fun listening to the music, with them in your ears. Because the quantity of bass is just not there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back