Etymotic Er6 Among the best earphones
May 25, 2005 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ragnarok999

New Head-Fier
er6logo-white.gif
er6-top.jpg

I am planning to buy a Etymotic later on
I like ER6 (dont like how 6i or ER4 look).

I have yet to use isolation headphones
but i belive ER6 will be where i start
i feel excited everytime i watch ER6 .

I belive ER6 is amongst the best earphone
(specially if one dosnt like how ER4 or 6i look).

Etymotic dealer in spain told me
Etymotic somehow is afiliated with SONY
they get their piezes from SONY
thats was great surprise... If this is true.

Testing Etymotic custumber service:
=====================================
Upon calling i got a very nice person on the other side of the line
calmvoice and very good in giving information.
I asked what happen if Etymotic ER6 breake down and if i am in spain?

Etymotic said i just send to them with Fedex or any trackable post service
I didnt have to pay for the courier service if earphone was on warranty.

I asked if it was not on warranty was it expensive to repair?

I was told the most expensive Etymotic have charged for a earphone-repair
was 65 Us dollar ,but normaly is cheaper.

I then asked Etymotic what happen if the eartip that comes with ER6
dosnt fit well?

Etymotic said they will then send several FREE samples of eartip to me
(yes FREE samples )
so they would make sure that the earphone realy fit.

all in all i would give 5 star to Etymotic custumber service in usa.
I also called the custumber service for etymotic dealer in spain
but was not so impressed with the service there.
but they answered my questions:

1. ER6 avaible in spain? = No, only 6i and ER4 avaible in spain
2. Where can i buy 6i in spain then I live in south ? = we dont know
we dont have anyone in south spain you have to keep looking.
(not very impressive answer that one )
but then again it was a unoffisial etymotic dealer in spain so i guess is ok.

3. If ER6 broke down can you repair it?
= No, ER6 is not enought profesional to be repaired from us.
(but etymotic usa repair it)

I think the custumber service for etymotic in spain
was pretty LAME sadly , but the suport in Usa was great.
on other hand i didnt think Koss spain was good either .

And finaly i have a question:

Does of you that have used ER6 for a while
what happen when cable broke (when you hear only on one side of the phone) do Etymotic repair the cable/jack and is that expensive?
if Etymotic have a good service repairing Jacks and cable
i may well go for etymotic sometimes soon.

er6-ol-500.jpg

More info:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.asp

May 25, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 13
my thoughts: I never found the er-6 to be worth the price. Yes they get points for being small, inconspicuous, and somewhat isolating, but I just couldn't warm up to the sound. It was "clear" in some ways, but things just didn't sound right to me. It's like the vocals and the rest of the music were out of balance, the former being tinny and raspy while the latter pretty fair. And for non-portable use, just plain horrid. The er-4(p) was much much better IMO, even with it's odd treble. I honestly wouldnt pay mor than $50 USD for em, and I'm being generous. But take my words with a grain of salt, cuz its my ears, and I can be overly anal when it comes to music. (I am a head-fier afterall!)

(personally prefer the ksc-35/75 as overall, it may not be as detailed and stuff, but everything just flows better. Granted it's not as small and doesn't isolate)

As for the cable, I treated the er-6s a bit rough, and it never snapped.

May 25, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 13
You might want to look into the Shure E2C also. From what I read, it's pretty good, but biased towards bass.

May 25, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 13
i have the er6. they're very clear, but the sound is also very cold and a little thin. i really dont use them very often.

May 25, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 13
I can not speak of the ER6 as I have only heard the ER6i's, however I like the sound of them(the ER6i). The E2C has more bass and like most people I think the Ety's just have a cleaner sound. By the way I own both the ER6i and the E2c. I wouldn't sell either of them right now, I just like the sound of them both.
Just my 2 cents.
etysmile.gif

May 26, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 13
I've owned the ER6 for 5 months and the KSC-35 for a couple weeks. My personal opinion is there is no comparison between the KSC-35 and the ER-6. This is not being derogatory towards the Koss's it's just that they are very different phones. I think for very different environments and uses. KSC-35 being an open design with no isolation at a great price and the ER6 being a canal phone with fairly good isolating qualities and still at a reasonable price point.

I really disliked the KSC-35's when I first got them. After some burn in time I found the KSC-35 to be nice for when I want to listen to music but still be able to hear some of the things going on around me. Like riding a bike, jogging, working in the office or working in the yard. I do not find them to be very detailed at all, but they are more satisfying than my ear buds after a week or so of use, they stay in place well and can be used with no discomfort for long periods.

The ER6 is great when flying, mowing the lawn or just setting around listening to your favorite tunes. They took a little getting use to when first adapting to something stuck in my ear.

The ER6 is much more accurate, defined, detailed and natural sounding than the KSC-35. ER6's take to being amped very well, a Cmoy seems to tighten and improve the bass, generally making things a little more open and airy. The weakness I find with the ER6 is a kind of restricted or small soundstage. Another distraction that others have shared about the ETY sound is sometimes when listening you can easily get focused on the details, the foot taping, the fingers sliding on the guitar strings, the breaths in the voice, on and on and miss the music
wink.gif

Just my opinion, the KSC-35 might be the best in the $19.00 price range but it's not in the same league "from a sound quality perspective" as the ER6 just as the ER6 probably isn't in the same league as some of the other High-end phones.

etysmile.gif

DobsOnly

May 26, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 13
I agree that the er-6 is more detailed and clear, but overall, doesn't just sound "right" at times (perhaps its the music I listen to, mainly vocals, pop, and rock). The vocal bothered me, everything else was alright in a portable sense. And the Ksc-75, although nowhere near as hifi by comparison, is just more fun to listen to on the go. I even use it at home sometimes instead of my HD650s (for convenience). That's the deal breaker for me, does it sound good for home use as well as portable? Also, from my own personal "perception" of natural, I find neither to be that superb, but the ksc vocals are more adequate (as in balance with the music). I know nothing of accuracy, cause I've never heard most the instruments or singers in real life, as they sing into the mic at the studio.
tongue.gif

I guess what it comes down to is dif strokes for dif folks. Some may prefer the detail and clarity (minus the vocals IMO) of the er-6, as well as the advantages in its shape and design, or the ksc's fun yet lack of "audiophile" qualities. Damn I talk too much, gotta lay off the coffee.

May 26, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 13
To me, there is no contest between the ER-6 and the KSC-75. The ER-6 trump them all over. With a little EQing in Foobar2000 and some more EQing in PatchMix DSP on my E-MU 1212m, I get a very pleasant, full bass. Quite thumping really. Maybe not E4c or E5c thump (well, probably no where near) but still good.

I skimmed your (long) post, and I'll just say you shouldn't throw out the ER-4P because you don't like the way they look. They'll destroy the ER-6 in sound quality. You might also be better off with the Shure E4c, which is probably an overall better headphone.

May 26, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

The ER-6 trump them all over. With a little EQing in Foobar2000 and some more EQing in PatchMix DSP on my E-MU 1212m, I get a very pleasant, full bass. Quite thumping really

Oh my bad, I never tried equing them. (dont use foobar or have a good outside eq) Or running em from a good home source.

May 26, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Well there's no doubt that they could use more bass. Not sure how they sound amped (yet) or how the ER-6i's bass is (it's supposed to be "bass enhanced") but with some tweaking on a decent system (on my Audigy 2 the Windows volume tone control for bass was good enough) the bass is pretty pleasant. Take that with a grain of salt though, I have yet to had a chance to thump to something like the E3c or better.

May 26, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 13
I definitly prefer my new ER6i to the KSC75 I just got today, in all areas, and from what I remember of the ER6 I heard at a meet, it was also better than the KSC75. I can see why the KSC75 is so highly regarded for the money, and they are perfect for toss-in-the-bag cans, but I just miss so much of the detail. Now, they are perfect for my sister, just got her a pair of the KSC75 too, and she loves them, says they are much better than the stock headphones she has had before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back