Etymotic ER4P - next upgrade?
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

100+ Head-Fier
Here's the story: my etymotic er4p have been good to me for the past 2 years but one channel is screwed up. I love the etymotic sound but the apuresound replacement cable is simply too expensive. I want to know if there are any $300 iems that retain the ety sound as i'm not too fussed on having loads of bass. I would prefer upgrading over buying a new pair of etys.

As a reference I have a cowon d2, zune hd and cowon s9 as well as the following iems: head direct re0, super fi 5, shure e2c.

tl;dr
need new iem with ety sound to replace er4p

Thanks for your help head fi

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 14
Have you replaced the filter? Have you contacted Etymotic? I know those guys basically provide lifetime warranty. That's not what the box says, but they often stand by their products. They are just great!

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 14
Ive had my Etys for years and have also used Trip Fi, Westone 3, Klipsch, Sleek and still return to the Etys for their sound.  Currently switch between Etys and UM3X just for their different flavors.

If you want to improve them, I'd add the P to S adapter which makes them sound more full and open.  Remember: the "P" series was originally intended for use with just a player, while the "S" was designed for use with an amp.  And if you're not using an amp, maybe that's something to investigate

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 14
I'd say the Westone UM3Xs would be good alternatives (with removable cables).  Personally, ER4Ps with Apuresound cable and Shure Olives are sublime in my book... plenty of detail, musicality and lots of bass, yes bass.  You could also try the Ety MC5s.

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 14
How about Ortofon e-Q7? or Final Audio Design A1?
Both in about 300 US price range. These are both BA. I have e-Q7 myself and highly recommend. A1 by FAD is new model, never tried but there are few threads talking about this new Japanese IEMs

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 14
+1 for the UM3X's.  One note: I'm a noob to IEM's.  Biggest problem I've had with my UM3X's was finding the right tip.  The comply's stayed squished in my ear canal and at first I heard no high-end crispness.  Warmth/Bass is awesome.

Recently switched to the clear/white silicone tips and everything is super bright and crisp while retaining the beautiful low-end the UM3X's are known for.  Slight downside for some might be not as much seal, so not as much isolation.  But that's also a plus while walking, and with the music going I can't hear anything around me (and no, I don't have to turn them up any louder to compensate either).  It also only slightly decreased the amount of bass - I'd really have to nitpick to say that.

Shure 535's at first - but the weak bass and lack of warmth made me move.  UM3X's with the silicone tips have been perfect for me.  I've not tried the er4p's, so I can't compare for you.  Glad you found an IEM that is perfect for you.  Don't let all the talk lure you away from the sound sig you love.  Each person has their own taste.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 14
O dont even THINK about those cheaper Etys.  THey're OK if you don't own the best Ety.  But you do and the sound is nowhere near the excellence of the 4P.  And yes, I just bought them and yes, I'm returning them.  Just don't make it if you own UM3X and 4P

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 14
HF5s sound better than ER4P to my ears. More user-friendly sound sig.

Quote:
O dont even THINK about those cheaper Etys.  THey're OK if you don't own the best Ety.  But you do and the sound is nowhere near the excellence of the 4P.  And yes, I just bought them and yes, I'm returning them.  Just don't make it if you own UM3X and 4P

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 14

agreed, the er4s is king!

Quote:

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 14
You might consider the Audio Technica CK10's.  I've owned (and really enjoyed) the sound of Etymotic products for years.  I've had all three of the ER4 series (with the P and S twice each).  I get them, love them, look for better, sell them, then eventually buy them again. 

The CK10's put a stop to the ER4 merry-go-round for me.  I find their sound quality to be similar, but there's just something about the 10's that I find totally to my liking. 

They've been discontinued from what I understand, but can be had for less than $300 new.

Good luck in your search for an "upgrade" to the ER4.  Really, the Ety's are a classic and am not entirely sure any IEM would really constitute an "upgrade".  A different sound, yes.  An upgrade, no. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #11 of 14
Honestly, the only upgrade in my book would be the ER4-S. Nothing is better. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 14
i was in the same boat as you where the cable on the left side went.  I bought a few other earphones, thanks to this site (not a money savings discovery). One of the earphones I purchased that had an equivalent sound sig was the MC5 and for the price, it comes very close to the ER4.  Ultimately I sent the ER4 back in for a cable replacement (for less than the MC5) and am back to being happy with them.  However, i won't be using the ER4 for the most of the times when i require high isolation (at least the times that have a higher risk for greater wear and tear) and perhaps they will last longer.  Besides at those times I'd not be able to tell the difference between the ER4 and the MC5.

I'll second the statement that its good to have a few different sound signature earphones.  However, if you're interested in that particular sound, it seems to me that joker seems to have the same preference, so if you look through his thread comparing various IEMs you might come up with a good idea of what you might want to try out next.

I'm thinking about getting the Westone UM3Xs mentioned above or the DB02, but I've been holding out for a pair of CK10s.  The latter two are easier to get in your area.  I did buy a pair of CK7s and like those except for the build quality (wires seem a little thin for my taste). 

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back