Etymotic er4 vs Sleekaudio sa6
Aug 9, 2008 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if anybody could provide any input on the etymotic er4 and the sleek audio sa6. I don't think there is a thread for a direct comparison so please share your input.

I listen to classical, pop, rock, metal, occasional jazz, not really into those bassy type music

Currently have broken e2cs as my IEMS, my main headphone is a beyerdynamic 990

The price of them [shipping to aus included] is as follows:
etymotic er4 - $190 usd
Sleekaudio sa6 - $185 usd

I'm aware that the er4 isolate better but does the sa6 isolate more/as much as the shure e2c?

So i'm in quite a dilemma choosing
wink.gif
Please help me decide!

Thank you for reading this thread,
Steve

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 21
Hi, @ the same place where it is 185, they offer the first class option of mailing free to AUs with orders over $150

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 21
I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago, so I started a poll:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...lators-344101/

Today people is still voting and the Etys go first in the count. And if you add the 4P + 4S votes they take almost half of the votes. I chose ER4Ps and I'm extremely satisfied!

Also for the U.S. 4P's price at $169 you can add a P-to-S converter and have two headphones in one for the price of the SA6. That was a big plus in my decision, but honestly, I think they're head to head. I didn't like the idea of changing the little pieces according to the signature, but probably that's something that people love about the SA6. I decided for the Etys mainly because they're the best isolators and almost in any poll or question people put in this forum they win, even against more expensive IEMs like the Shure 530. Check the following threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/e...erfect-345745/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/i...-ipods-345041/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...-se530-350317/

That's my $0.02. I'm a new Ety's fan
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 21
Thank you goldfilm for the links!
Not sure if I could use the former as the basis of my judgement as it is based on isolation.

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 21
I owned the Etys with the S cable, and sold them off in favor of the Atrios, which got bounced for the Sleeks. To me, the Sleeks are a better choice, S cable or no cable. Just based on my listening habits and A/B comparos.

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 21
The big question is, do you like your music to sound highly detail and analytical or musical and warm? Once you can answer that, the choice is obvious.

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 21
for what it's worth...

I owned modded IM716 (supposed er4 clones) and the SA6 are just as detailed...but have more impact and ompth, and are more warm sounding, and don't get fatiguing at all (which the IM716 did). The SA6 IMO are more fun to listen to, and they have all the details that the IM716 had.

The only downfall is the SA6 (with no music on) don't isolate as well, but once the music is on well the music helps block out lots of noise from the outside =)

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #10 of 21
the problem about voting is that sometimes people only own one of it, and naturally they vote the one they own.

you should only vote if you have both or tried both, then offer your thoughts on them and your reason for your choice..then it gives a better reference.

my 02 cents

Aug 10, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 21
Aug 10, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #12 of 21
In short, 'is it just pure awesomeness with all three'.

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only downfall is the SA6 (with no music on) don't isolate as well, but once the music is on well the music helps block out lots of noise from the outside =)

You obviously haven't used the SA6's with tips like the Shure black olives, IMo with those they isolate just as well as anything.

I haven't owned ER4's but I've had a couple of extended auditions with them. To me they sound just OK, too dry, thin and analytical for my tastes though.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if the bass and treble ports overpower and take away the mids, or is it just pure awesomeness with all three.

The midrange stays pretty much the same ("awesome") with any of the port combos. When they claim that changing ports/tubes only affects what it is you're trying to change, they're not lying. When I got mine I played with the different bass ports until I found what I liked there and then played with treble tubes until I found what I liked there, at no point did I have to go back and "retune" anything because of some change I made.

Quote:

Are the ports worth $22?

Trick question
wink.gif

When you buy the SA6 they come with a full set of ports and tubes. Unless you lose them, the bass ports should last indefinitely, and the treble tubes will last until the filter material in them gets clogged enough to noticeably affect sound (i.e. depends on how nasty your ears are and how good you are at cleaning gunk before it reaches the filters). The $22 set is intended as a full replacement of all the same ports and tubes that come with a brand new set of SA6. Personally, I'm hoping they'll start selling the different +/- ports & tubes separately. I'm not interested in anything other than bass+/treble+, so needing to spend $12.50 for three pairs of tubes, two pairs of which I'll never use, seems an odd choice on their part. I get the impression they figured most people would approach the product more like a routinely tunable earphone instead of a "set it and forget it" - at least on this board, set it and forget seems to be the dominant approach. At any rate, no, I would not pay $22 for the whole set again unless I had to - much rather pay $25 for a 6 pack of bass+ ports and a 6 pack of treble+ tubes.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 21
Thanks for clearing it up, I was about to order one thinking it wasnt included!
Should I order olives $14.95 as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back