Etymotic ER4 closest to perfect?
Jul 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 31
Receiving the 4Ps in the next few days! I's so excited, after a week researching and doing polls I ended up with the Etys. I'll give my impressions soon...

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #17 of 31
Yeah M3NTAL, when I had the ER4P/S and the K701 at the same time, I figured, why have two of the same thing, and sold the K701. Kept the ER4P/S around for awhile more, but even with an iPod + LOD + "M" Hornet, I felt the sound wasn't for me, and sold it.
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 31
TheMarchingMule you have the TF10 ? Have you heard the Shure E5X0 ?

If the TF wasn't so expensive and big I might have jumped on them, but after owning expensive Shures and realizing they are NOT a full size replacement, I wouldn't spend that much on an IEM again (at least not right now LOL)

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your second sentence explains the first. They shouldn't stick out of your ear a mile, that means you had a bad seal.

No, I had a perfect seal. When I insert IEM's I make sure they are sealed so well that moving my ears and jaw does nothing to hinder the seal. They just really weren't my cup of tea. It was because of Ety's that I discovered I lean more towards a warm sound sig. Of course this is my opinion only, take it with a grain of salt and trust your own ears.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #20 of 31
X2 on the Ety sound. Detailed, sure. But way too antiseptic for my tastes too. I actually sold them when I got my Atrios, even before the Sleeks. I do have a pair of 716s (got them for $20 and had them de-podded for another $20), which have Ety drivers, but they need an amp to really sound good even with the mod.

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried the "olives" and the compy tips. My favorite is the tri-flange modded to bi-flange.

How did you modded them? Is it just a cut? What's the difference in comfort and SQ?

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 31
ER4-S with JVC XRCD = GREATNESS!

This is the sound I imagine when dreaming of walking into someones home with the most expensive 2 channel setup playing in the entrance room. Just so neutral and correct! This high quality recording sounds so amazingly real!

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Drinkwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a helpful thread, i'm looking for an IEM to match the sound of my akg k271s and if the ER4 are similar to a K701 , that seems good to me...

I actually think the ER-4S is closer sonically to the K601 than the K701. The K701 has a tendency towards shrillness on bad recordings, whereas the K601 manages them well--in about precisely the same way the ER-4S does.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #25 of 31
Also, before giving up on all the tips included with your ER-4, try putting a drop of water on your finger and moistening each tip before inserting it. In my experience, they just can't seal properly otherwise. FWIW, I use tri-flanges.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, before giving up on all the tips included with your ER-4, try putting a drop of water on your finger and moistening each tip before inserting it. In my experience, they just can't seal properly otherwise. FWIW, I use tri-flanges.

Definitely. Follow the Ety video about inserting them properly, it really works!

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfilm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you modded them? Is it just a cut? What's the difference in comfort and SQ?

Just cut them. I have one set with the smallest cut off and one set with the largest cut off. I like the one with the small one remaining. I have small/sensitive ear canals.

Comply's are a lot like foams in terms of SQ, a little more isolation, but they are always pressing outwards unlike the original foams that don't have that much outward force.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #28 of 31
We should have an eartips exchange market in our forum! I would like to give one Ety stock foam for one Shure medium olive, one Ety 3-flange silicone for one Klipsch eargel, etc
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 31
HA HA! If I do not have custom molds by the time Klipsch releases their ear gels - I will be picking up a set. The concept is great- Our ears aren't round holes!

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #30 of 31
At CanJam 08, some general consensus seemed to build around the UE11 usurping the Ety or anything else for most natural/neutral IEM. Read more by searching the CanJam 2008 impressions thread

I'm passing it up because it's only sold with a custom earmold and
1. It's too pricey for something you can only truly hear after plunking down your money.
2. I only need IEMs for commuting, and it's not clear to me that custom molds isolate as well as generic foam tips. The subway can get pretty loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back