Etymotic ER3SE & ER3XR?
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 40
just got my er3se, couldn't get a comparable seal to the foamies with any of the triflanges. All the way in and I feel they still leak more sound and make the earphones less sensitive and quieter. With the foamies, the er3se sounds amazing. The mids are so clear with no veil and the bass is very well integrated. highs although lacking air of the best open back full size cans are very immediate and cymbals have a tactile attack that is realistic. I love these but am worried about the tips when they go bad. Anyone have any suggestions for tips with a great seal for these that don't easily break?

EDIT: They also sound great with my ifi idsd nano bl to schiit vali2 using reflektor tubes. Much better than my iphone 6s

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #20 of 40
ER3XR and FiiO M7, they surely look nice together :)

FiiO-M7-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Photo-38.jpg

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #22 of 40
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #24 of 40
From the inventor of IEMs comes a relatively new model! Why isnt this thread filled with impressions and reviews? Perhaps it gives less value than the ER4XR/XS?

It has better value than them actually...

I am not sure to be honest, maybe people don't like not having the very best there is available (?)

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #29 of 40
I bought a pair of ER3 XRs. Couldn’t get a good seal with the silicone flanged ends, but with a normal length foam complys, the sound is impressively good. Very balanced with a little warmth, but doesn’t sound boosted in bass. Clarity and detail are excellent, though in comparison to my MrSpeakers AFCs they’re a little softer and not quite as resolving. The difference is small though and they compare very well to my MrSpeakers AFO. Overall I’d call them a little laid back in treble with solid sub bass, a pretty flat upper bass and slightly boosted mids. They really do well on Jazz with their detail, clarity and speed.

They compare very well to my IEMs in detail, musicality, and balance. It’s kind of surprising actually. They pretty easily outperform my primo 8s, my RHA T20s and are competitive with my Audeze iSine 10s. Other than the usual comfort issues associated with deep insertion IEMs, they’re a definite bargain.

Isolation wise they’re outstanding (which in my experience is typical for Etymotic). If you’re looking to block ambient noise, these work way better than any noise cancelling headphone I’ve used.

Mostly I use them with a FIIO Q5, which works extremely well and is my preferred pairing though they sound excellent directly from my iPhone 8.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #30 of 40
My mk5 died and they seem disctontinued...so I'm about to buy these (the er3xr).

Is it easy to replace the cable in case it breaks down the line? I don't see an option in the accessories area of the etymotic site.

Super excited!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back