Etymotic ER2SE - A Reference Headphone for your Ears and Your Couplers
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #31 of 282
I received the ER2/MH755 from @McMadface this week and performed a set of measurements and dumped it on a shared drive. I can send these off early next week. Who is the next one up in line?

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #32 of 282
I received the ER2/MH755 from @McMadface this week and performed a set of measurements and dumped it on a shared drive. I can send these off early next week. Who is the next one up in line?
That was quick work @antdroid :)
We have the luxury of plenty of time now, as Jude won't be able to look at measuring these until after CanJam London at the end of this month. A couple of thoughts in the meantime...

@McMadface - could you give @antdroid read/write permissions to your Google drive shared folder so that he can upload his results?

Anybody else in the US interested in joining the tour? @SilverEars - I already know your coupler will give results very close to mine, but maybe that would be a good validation exercise for your Hugo 2/UM2/REW setup??

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #33 of 282
That was quick work @antdroid :)
We have the luxury of plenty of time now, as Jude won't be able to look at measuring these until after CanJam London at the end of this month. A couple of thoughts in the meantime...

@McMadface - could you give @antdroid read/write permissions to your Google drive shared folder so that he can upload his results?

Anybody else in the US interested in joining the tour? @SilverEars - I already know your coupler will give results very close to mine, but maybe that would be a good validation exercise for your Hugo 2/UM2/REW setup??

Forgot to ask. Is this going through the 3.5mm or the 1/4 inch?

The graph looks to me what i was hearing on the Solaris vs using the IEMatch.

I also have the ADI-2 DAC as well as the Monolith Desktop 788.

I uploaded data yesterday. I'll rerun again just to make sure I like my data. But just let me know. Someone wanted to job this science project. It's fun!

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #34 of 282
That was quick work @antdroidAnybody else in the US interested in joining the tour? @SilverEars - I already know your coupler will give results very close to mine, but maybe that would be a good validation exercise for your Hugo 2/UM2/REW setup??
Ok, let me get in on this. I'm curious how a Ety dynamic driver tuned iem sounds, and measures.

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #37 of 282
My first impression is unfortunately not so good. It's definitely not as detailed as the ER4, and to me details are pretty lacking. I was also reminded of how much I find Ety iem insertion discomforting. Not only that, the ear-tips are not giving me good enough fit to get good balanced sound on both sides. I get good seal on the left ear, but no the right, I'm not getting good fit with good seal even with large tips (but, this is just how my ears are, likely not symmetric). I can hear that the emphasis is on the middle band of the upper-mids, and the upper band of upper-mids sounds to be lacking a bit, and perhaps is the reason for lacking details. It's a bit shouty due to this emphasis as well.

If you look at how narrow the driver housing is, you already can tell only a micro dynamic fit in there if you want a dynamic. I think this is the issue, something of such form (being so narrow for deep insertion) is better off with a single BA, not dynamic. Leave the dynamic drivers for the housing with large diameters to move a lot of air! So yes, bass is lacking, and it just reminds me of bass being inadequate with the Ety SE series, and XR being an improvement. People can call it as 'neutral' as much they want, but to me this isn't neutral. I need more bass, and particularly the subs. The bass does dig down to the subs to be all that interesting either. Also, I think lack of higher frequency emphasis, and low bass level reduces the dynamics. I prefer more dynamics.

Also, ER2SE is pretty inefficient. It takes me quite a bit of volume to get it up to some good listening level, and I think it's also due to middle portion of upper-mids emphasis with lower levels everywhere else. I think there are many Chi-fi iems now a days can pretty much beat this performance at the same or lower price level.

You know what? I think the Sony MH755 which goes for around $6 has better sound quality!

Edit: Also, in regards to the tour unit (black MH755), and my MH755 (white), slater told me the black units are purposely tuned to have more bass in the response.

As far as the graph of the ER2SE. It's just like how I hear it. It needs some treble, and bass.

Tour kit.jpg

Normalized at 1k

tour 2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #38 of 282
My first impression is unfortunately not so good. It's definitely not as detailed as the ER4, and to me details are pretty lacking. I was also reminded of how much I find Ety iem insertion discomforting. Not only that, the ear-tips are not giving me good enough fit to get good balanced sound on both sides. I get good seal on the left ear, but no the right, I'm not getting good fit with good seal even with large tips (but, this is just how my ears are, likely not symmetric). I can hear that the emphasis is on the middle band of the upper-mids, and the upper band of upper-mids sounds to be lacking a bit, and perhaps is the reason for lacking details. It's a bit shouty due to this emphasis as well.

If you look at how narrow the driver housing is, you already can tell only a micro dynamic fit in there if you want a dynamic. I think this is the issue, something of such form (being so narrow for deep insertion) is better off with a single BA, not dynamic. Leave the dynamic drivers for the housing with large diameters to move a lot of air! So yes, bass is lacking, and it just reminds me of bass being inadequate with the Ety SE series, and XR being an improvement. People can call it as 'neutral' as much they want, but to me this isn't neutral. I need more bass, and particularly the subs. The bass does dig down to the subs to be all that interesting either. Also, I think lack of higher frequency emphasis, and low bass level reduces the dynamics. I prefer more dynamics.

Also, ER2SE is pretty inefficient. It takes me quite a bit of volume to get it up to some good listening level, and I think it's also due to middle portion of upper-mids emphasis with lower levels everywhere else. I think there are many Chi-fi iems now a days can pretty much beat this performance at the same or lower price level.

You know what? I think the Sony MH755 which goes for around $6 has better sound quality!

Here is the measurements with overlay consisting of ER2SE, two MH755 (the tour kit and also mine). What's interesting is the differences between my MH755 compared to the tour unit. Bass response on mine is significantly less. The tour unit was the black one, and min is white. Perhaps it's the color? I'd have to measure more to know for sure, but white ones are consistent, but I bought both of the whites ones from the same seller, so they both could be from the same batch. So, this maybe batch dependent in variations in response. And with the white ones, I thought they were all the same, but I guess the QC various depending on the batch.

Also notice that my unit is slightly less sensitive than the tour unit MH755 as well.

As far as the graph of the ER2SE. It's just like how I hear it. It needs some treble, and bass.

Normalized at 1k

The ER2XR is my preferred model of the two, and I find it hitting a really nice sweet spot for isolation, warmth, subbass, and details. Most people I've talked seem to steer towards the ER2XR so far.

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #39 of 282
The ER2XR is my preferred model of the two, and I find it hitting a really nice sweet spot for isolation, warmth, subbass, and details. Most people I've talked seem to steer towards the ER2XR so far.
Is it just me or does the ER2SE nozzle look thinner compared to the ER4? Or is the new Etys have thinner nozzle?

Also, in regards to the tour unit (black MH755), and my MH755 (white), slater told me the black units are purposely tuned to have more bass in the response.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #40 of 282
Is it just me or does the ER2SE nozzle look thinner compared to the ER4? Or is the new Etys have thinner nozzle?

On my set it looks very slightly thicker at the flanged part than the ER4P. Perhaps it looks thinner because the body is a bit thicker but the nozzle is similar size?

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #41 of 282

Edit: Also, in regards to the tour unit (black MH755), and my MH755 (white), slater told me the black units are purposely tuned to have more bass in the response.

Normalized at 1k

Of course Ety signature isn't neutral to you cause it's pretty obvious your preferences fall under V-shaped sound, no?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #42 of 282
Hi all,
I just discovered this excellent thread after being out for a few months. I’d like to participate in the tour. If the stops are already set in stone, no big deal. I’ll just wait for the next tour. Otherwise, I’d like to be one of the last two in the U.S. because I might be getting more couplers from China when a friend comes back from Beijing around August 12. That’s a month away, which might be too late. In that case, I’ll just measure with the couplers I have now. I’m in South Florida, if it helps with the planning.

BTW, you measurement-minded folks might find my laughable attempt at a cheap headphone-measuring system amusing: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/relatively-cheap-headphone-measuring-kit.664900/page-3#post-15058473

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #43 of 282
Hi all,
I just discovered this excellent thread after being out for a few months. I’d like to participate in the tour. If the stops are already set in stone, no big deal. I’ll just wait for the next tour. Otherwise, I’d like to be one of the last two in the U.S. because I might be getting more couplers from China when a friend comes back from Beijing around August 12. That’s a month away, which might be too late. In that case, I’ll just measure with the couplers I have now. I’m in South Florida, if it helps with the planning.

BTW, you measurement-minded folks might find my laughable attempt at a cheap headphone-measuring system amusing: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/relatively-cheap-headphone-measuring-kit.664900/page-3#post-15058473
Nice of you to join Yuriv!

I don't know how you came up all those measurement rigs, but you have a huge influence in this community in terms of measurement rigs and modding.

I realized Crin was basically using your cheap rig for awhile until you put out the information on clone GRAS couplers.

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #44 of 282

Also, in regards to the tour unit (black MH755), and my MH755 (white), slater told me the black units are purposely tuned to have more bass in the response.
my black unit (like most or all black units) seems to be fake: bloated bass, nothing to do with white ones. the sound is completely different.

Hi all,

welcome, @yuriv !

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #45 of 282
Hi all,

Hi @yuriv, Welcome! Happy to have you onboard :) I'm sure we can work with your schedule. So far, the only other person in the queue over here in the US is Jude, but he's tied up until early next month. @SilverEars - once you're finished, would you mind shipping both IEMs back to me (I have a demo hi-res coupler incoming from GRAS and I'd like to add results from that to compare with Jude's - plus, I really didn't do justice to the poor MH755s as McMadface and I were in a bit of a time crunch that day at CanJam.) What would you all think of the following:

@SilverEars -> @csglinux -> @jude -> @yuriv -> @castleofargh -> @hakuzen ?

Unless... @Slater - would you be interested in jumping in?
Also, just a heads-up @yuriv, that would leave you on the hook for the international shipment cost to @castleofargh :fearful:
Would you be ok with that?

my black unit (like most or all black units) seems to be fake: bloated bass, nothing to do with white ones. the sound is completely different.
That's a very interesting observation. My suggestion would be, even if they are fake, we can still measure @McMadface's MH755 and learn something from the inevitable car wreck we're going to get in comparing all our responses over 10 kHz :wink:

Just one quick comment/thought. It looks like nobody else has so far tried to measure THD, at least not via stepped sine. Just throwing it out there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back