Etymotic ER-6i or Shure E3C?
Aug 6, 2007 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
This is the last post I will make for a while for my new IEM's. I am going to buy IEM's similar to the Super.fi 3's, but I'm looking for the best of those two. That will then determine wether I buy Shure E4C's, Etymotic ER-4P's, or UE Super.fi 5 Pro's in the long run. Also when I get either one I will review them on here for everyone. I do not want these recommended based on price, but SQ.

Thanks,
Pez

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 27
To answer the initial question, id go with the Ety's

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 27
I have both. I had gotten the E3C's because of the perceived durability of the cords vs. the Etys and the looks (as shallow as that is). Having said that, I'd vote for the ER6i's -- the cords are actually more durable, despite seeming frail and thin, and they sound better (to me) with a wider variety of players. (I had come to accept the E3's with a highly EQ'able Rio Carbon and Rio Karma, but I don't like them with an iPod on a flat setting, for example.) In addition, I've found that the tiny ER6i's isolate even better for me than the Shures (both using foamies), which did a fine job of that.

As I've said elsewhere, I should have gotten into Shures starting at a higher level ... I think the ER6i's are a far better value than the E3C's. The list price for the Shures is appaling ... even at the apprx. $129 sale price I paid for them a couple of years ago, they were overpriced. The ER6i's, on the other hand, might be one of the best bang-for-the-buck values out there.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the Westone UM1's? They're very good entry IEM's and may even be better than the E3c's.

From an ergonomic standpoint, the UM1's totally beat out both the E3's and the Er6i's. The braided cable cuts down on microphonics and they don't stick out of your ear at all.

I'd go with the Er6i's... But check out this thread first.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 27
a few questions about the westones, i've read they come really close to the ety's but do they go over your ears? and how good is the sound compared to the sf3's and ety er-6i? I've determined it'll either be the westones or etymotic's now.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 27
oh noes, I found out it does go over your ear...*sigh* that just took those out of my selection :<

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 27
I know the ety's have thin cables, but has anyone that's taken at least decent care of them had them break or fail?

Aug 6, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 27
Why are you looking for iem's that don't go over your ear? I went from er6i's to e4c's and one of the many reasons I still have my e4c's is because I can wear them over my ears. This helps a ton with microphonics, which were particularly bothersome with the er6i.

And what are you looking for, sound-wise, from your iem?

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 27
yes, i do have glasses, ultimate ears is the only reason i went over the ears because they have a memory wire that i can shape around and away from my glasses so i don't hear them rubbing against each other. anybody have problem w/ other IEM's such as shures and westone as far as w/ glasses?

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 27
oh, it's mainly just clarity, i listen to metal, but i prize clarity so much over bass. one of my reasons for that is because i tab metal songs on bass, and w/o good IEM's and clarity, it's quite hard to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back