Etymotic ER-6 problems
Mar 2, 2006 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

orfeo

Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently got the jack on my er6 replaced since both channels were dropping out due to the wires at the jack end being damages (i expect from pressure and repeated bending). So now that i have a new jack on the the end both channels work but i am getting a harsh clipping sound when i turn the volume up (to a quite high level , say 5-7mm below max on a 3rg gen ipod). The clipping sound is a very high pitched scratchy pop and crackly sound, which is very loud, above the level of the music. This is something that i'm almost certain that i didn't have before.

I talked about this in the headphone forum and someone said i need to replace the filters which is what i plan to do. But since it cost me $25 to get the new jack and it would cost another $25 for the filters (and tool) it makes the bill close to the $69+postage fee the Etymotic charge for a brand new pair of ER-6's. Hense i want to be sure that getting new filters will do the trick.

I should also mention that i've noticed that the right channel is alot softer than the left channel, say at about 75% the volume of the left. But i think this problem has been around before the repair.

So i was wondering if there might be another cause for the problems i'm having? I thought some one who is maybe a bit more tech savey might be able to help. Is there any chance that the repair of the jack could result in these problems? The materials not matching the the etymotic standars? The jack the guy gave me was a straight plug coated in gold (or something like it), you unscrew the jack to reveal the wires solderd to the jack with the ground going to the cord and the cord clamped down in the jack plug (i think this is a pretty standard plug but i thought i should give as much info as possible).

If anyone can shed any light on this i'd love to hear your thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

orfeo

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 6
You can try cleaning the filters. Every couple of weeks I pop mine out and let them sit in a small container of window cleaner, isopropyl alcohol, or any other mild solvent cleaner i have on hand. Let them sit for a minute or two, then shake gently. Dump out the cleaner (don't loose the filters!) and rinse a couple times with water. I use distilled water, since i do this in the lab at school and have it right by me. I have never needed to use the tool to remove the filters, just pop them out with your fingernail.

-mike

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 6
See if you can borrow a multimetre with an inductance measurment on it. Test the right and left channels in relation to ground. If they are significantly different then there's a chance they may be blown.

The harsh crackling sound may not be blown drivers they can also be a hair in contact with it or worse yet a fracture along the transducer. Not possible to repair.

I have ER-4Ps and try swapping the filters around L->R and visaversa. If they quite ear moves with them they need cleaning/replacing.

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the great advice guys, that was really top notch
smily_headphones1.gif
good karma to ya. I'm going to both the filter clean and swap and get my hands on the a multimeter to measure each channel.

Can anyone (mike?) give any more info on how to remove the filters without the tool, i tried using my nail but it doesn't really seem possible, i have the er-6 (not the i). the filter is below the metal neck of the driver, there is only a small gap between the inner wall of the neck and the filter (like .1 mm) so its hard to get my finger nail in there to lever it up. I'm tempted to get a sewing needle or something similar to lever it up but i'm affraid i might puncture the filter and cause more damage. Any specific advice would be great
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks again guys

orfeo

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 6
For a while I had both the ER6 and 6i and was auditioning them, now I only have the 6i. The filters on the 6i will pop right out without the tool. Sorry, I don't remember what the 6's were like
confused.gif
All i can say is good luck!

-mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back