Etymotic ER-4S without amp?
Dec 26, 2009 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
From what I've read, this would be foolish. I'm asking because I can get a pair at a very good price (converts to around $140). Firstly, is this a good price in your book (new)?

Anyway, I don't generally use an amp and the only one I have is the cheap Fiio E5.
I will need a good headphone amp for ER-4S, but will I have to spend more than $100?
Right now, funds are tight for me (returned from travelling before university).

Should I buy the ER-4S and a cheap ($100) amp, or is that a waste of time? Is the price good enough for you to recommend buying them as an investment for use in a few months (I've converted the price, but where I am, they usually sell for almost double that price), when I have money for a better amp?

Also, are they out of the question as a serious choice for use with an iPod without an amp, for train journeys and whatnot?

I listen mainly to classical music, this ranges from orchestral, piano and string compositions to vocal - choral pieces, lieder and opera. Some metal too, occasionally.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 14
That's a solid price for an Er-4S, especially outside of the US. As for running unamped, they are definitely not as bad as you might think. You won't get their full potential but they'll still give most sub-$150 IEMs a run for their money.

The best sub-$100 amp for them in my experience is the mini3, which drives them beautifully. Not exactly ultraportable but it's superior to the other ~$100 amps I've tried for the Etys.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 14
Apart from the weak bass, I found the ER4s decent unamped (out of my iPod Touch).

Go for it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice would be to get an ER4P and a 75 ohm resistor cable/adaptor because then youve got both the P and the S

Very wise words of advice!

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 14
While the ER-4S isn't actually that bad unamped, that deal isn't really that super (you're only saving about $30 off of what Amazon is offering for them right now). Like others have said, buy the ER-4P instead for a little extra dough, and down the line when you can afford it, buy the P-S adapter cable and an amp.

You'll get the most enjoyment that way.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 14
where can you get er4s for $140, would you mind telling? i've been thinking about purchasing one in the next 2-3 months. is it in the us or another location?

edit: ah... converts to $140

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 14
They definitely sound fine unamped. That plus the fact that the E5 is a solid enough amp till you decide on upgrading (it has good synergy with the er4 IMO) should be reason enough.

Pull the plug!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #10 of 14
I'd say go for it especially given your music preferences for classical. Yes they won't give their best without an amp but that can be remedied when funds allow and they will stil sound good without.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pi3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can you get er4s for $140, would you mind telling? i've been thinking about purchasing one in the next 2-3 months. is it in the us or another location?

Outside the US unfortunately.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 14
I read about the ER-4P adapter before making this thread (on this site), and if both were available at the price, obviously that's what I'd go for.

Etymotic IEMs are appealing because of the isolation more than the sound - it's noisy at home!

I had Klipsch Custom-2 until a week ago but the cat...
I also have Westone UM1 and they are okay for good for exercise.

Hopefully I'll have a better job soon - I'm on a gap year (8-9 months left) so I've got time, but currently I've only got a part-time job (no one seems to hire in December except retail stores, and I don't have the experience they want).

I think I'll buy them - thanks for your help. I suppose I don't have much to lose even if I don't like them without an amp - I could keep them for the future or sell them.

Thanks guys.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 14
The ER4P actually have good bass compared to other single driver IEM's that I tried & have the best overall sound of the single driver units. Thier bass with a good seal is in fact very accurate & quite extended, however if you plan on using them on a computer they will sound thin on most of the X-Fi based cards. They sound wonderfull though on the Xonar D2/PM & Xonar Essense STX. If you use the P-S converter though then only the Essense STX need apply as the D2/PM doesn't have quite enough gain to properly drive the ER4S version. The D2/PM though works well with the ER4P though. All of my portable stuff works fine with the ER4P's.

I've tried the Ear Superfi 3 Studio (rolled off treble & slightly weaker bass) & ther Shure SE210 (significantly weaker bass but not as rolled off in the treble as the Superfi's Though still weaker than the ER4 series in the treble)

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 14
if you've got the money, i see nothing that should stop you unless you're tight on budget.

try checking out amazon, i got few items from there which is much cheaper than the retail price.
happy01

Users who are viewing this thread

Back