Etymotic ER-4PT
Nov 22, 2010 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

vinnievidi

500+ Head-Fier
Incase anyone is interested, I just came across this on Etymotic's website:

ER•4PT, the newest model in the MicroPro series, is intended for sound engineers and audiophiles in constant motion. ER•4PT combines the acoustic characteristics and features of ER•4P earphones, and comes with extra mobile adapters and accessories for traveling professionals. Also included is an industry-exclusivechannel-matching compliance graph, signed by the Etymotic engineer who precision matched and custom tuned the balanced-armaturedrivers.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 62
Well, from what I see it looks more like ER4P with an extra adapter and a piece of paper.

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 62
This seems really, really stupid on Etymotic's part.

I mean, really?  C'mon!

I guess they're going by way of AKG in the "new product" category, just like the "Q" series.

Highly disappointed that Ety would stoop so low...unless there's actually "real" change in the product, which I seriously doubt, as, if there was, it most certainly would have been mentioned.  (Wow, that was a weird, long sentence...or was it even a sentence?)

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 62

Quote:
This seems really, really stupid on Etymotic's part.

I mean, really?  C'mon!

I guess they're going by way of AKG in the "new product" category, just like the "Q" series.

Highly disappointed that Ety would stoop so low...unless there's actually "real" change in the product, which I seriously doubt, as, if there was, it most certainly would have been mentioned.  (Wow, that was a weird, long sentence...or was it even a sentence?)

yes it was actually a sentence, with a subject, a verb and a predicate.  A rather bulky sentence, grant you, but then again I've read Proust's Remembrance of Things Past where sentences are sometimes an entire page or two.  Now THAT'S "bulky"

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 62
I saw this yesterday but didn't post..I was trying to figure out what the difference between this and the ER4P was and couldn't see anything that would say the differences. If it's just an adapter and a piece of paper and the price is much higher than the ER4P that would be pretty stupid

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 62
Quote:
... If it's just an adapter and a piece of paper and the price is much higher than the ER4P that would be pretty stupid

It is the same price as ER4P, thankfully.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 62

Quote:
It is the same price as ER4P, thankfully.

Which for some reason, in the past 2 months, the majority of street prices for the ER-4P have jumped all the way up to MSRP -- see Amazon.com, with a $299 price.  When they were selling for around $180, I was working my mind up to buying them.  I hesitated, and now there's just no way I can/will pay $300 for them.  

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 62
Wont Etymotic ever come up with anything entirely new? Or will they just still continue to push their really old products such as ER-4P into the future. 
The new Etymotic iems don't count as they are low-tier stuff.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 62
Not trying to bash Etymotic since they have plenty of my money as I have bought all of their products at least once...but for "listening pleasure" their IEM's are sorely outdated and getting worse (with MC5).

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 62
I love the ER4-Ps and was considering a backup pair.  But the real selling price has gone up $140 since the last time I bought and it appears that the company wants retailers to sell at full list price.  I don't think that retailers are adding an extra $140 of value for what they are doing (particularly online) and therefore I'll keep the extra cash in my pocket for now. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 62
Quote:
Which for some reason, in the past 2 months, the majority of street prices for the ER-4P have jumped all the way up to MSRP -- see Amazon.com, with a $299 price.  When they were selling for around $180, I was working my mind up to buying them.  I hesitated, and now there's just no way I can/will pay $300 for them.  

You are right. I just did a quick search and all the usual places are now listing the ER4P and ER4S at MSRP, which is almost double the street price at what it used to be.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 62
Maybe they raised the price because a) they are greedy bastards and b) they don't want the cheaper er-4p to cannibalize sales from their er-4pt. I mean if the er-4p were a hell of a lot cheaper than the er-4pt and there is no real difference between the two then people would obviously go for the er-4p. Etymotic is just trying to level the playing field for their own outdated products. Tsk tsk Etymotic, saw right through your shoddy schemes.

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #15 of 62
There's gotta be a lot of used pairs floating around for sale. If I didn't have a pair I would make an effort to get one. With the Shure 535's going for such a high price with old technology iem pricing really has no standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back