Etymotic er-4p vs shure se420 vs ue700
Jan 20, 2013 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deathdealer100

New Head-Fier
Hi there I'm new to head-fi, I'm looking for some decent iems, there's a sale where I live, and the price of these three iems are quite similar. The Etys are around $112, the shures are about $125 and the ue are about $100. I'm looking for clear sound, some amount of bass, not overpowering. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me whether amping these are necessary and whether reshelling them are a good idea.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Go for the Shures if u love alot of mids and a good amount of bass quantity ,  As for the etys... bass seems abit lacking ( not for me ) for most cases but besides from that its a detail freaks dream.....       since u mentioned that u need some amount of bass ill vote for the 420s.. any ways its a win win choice here... personally if i were u i'd get the Etys over shure's any day! 

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 5
The regular prices are:

Ety 4Rp - $300
Shure  SE420 - $400
UE $700 - $150

I'd go with either the Etys or the Shures.  Shures are more comfortable and have more bass.  Etys are the most detailed IEMs available.  They're even better than most multi-driver customs.  You can improve the bass by changing the tips.  I use Klipsch tips but the most popular kind are the Shure olives.

Unlike other Shures in its price range, the SE420s don't have detachable cables.  They do come with a 2 year warranty with receipt.  If the SE420s fail within 2 years, Shure won't repair them but give you a replacement pair.  http://www.amazon.com/review/RIDDOLF37IKRD/ref=cm_cr_dp_title/186-6624050-3626929

The Etys come with a lifetime warranty (no receipt necessary) but you'll still have to pay for parts.  Last summer, I lost the left driver of my ER4p.  Etymotic replaced it and the right driver (it had a hairline crack that I hadn't noticed) and gave me a new pair of tips for $80.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Etys now, but I want to ask, are amping these necessary?

uhmm not 100% necessary.. but it certainly benefit from good amping.. if u want a bit of  Oomph! to add Ur welcome to add a Ibasso p2 or a Dzero..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back