Etymotic ER-4P vs. Sennheiser IE8
Sep 15, 2009 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

adiZero

100+ Head-Fier
I am new to IEM's and looking for my first set of High end set. As the title says I have been considering both the Etymotic ER-4P and the IE8.

Mostly these will be used with the following setup:
Ipod Classic - ibasso d10 - IEM
or:
Laptop (FLAC) - Ibasso d10 - IEM
(for more portable solution, I'll just skip the external amp)

I am willing to go for the extra cost for the IE8 if it is considered an upgrade to the ER-4P. Or should I look for other IEM's? Price range: up to $300 (new/used)

This is difficult
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 21
If you like bass, IE8

Clarity and balance - ER4P

They are like polar opposites in terms of sound signature

In terms of pure SQ, imo, they are around the same.

EDIT: oh yeah, maybe consider that IE8s hardly isolate compared to ER4Ps. (then again, anything compared to ER4Ps hardly isolate :p)

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 21
Both have significant shortcomings. The IE8s' bass overwhelms the other frequencies and the etys lack bass for the most part (possibly helped by your D10s though)

What'd I'd recommend is a used Westone um3x. The UM3X is slightly less detailed than the etys but is very well balanced and apparently has brilliant synergy with the D10. There isn't the thumping bass of the IE8s but the bass is quite present and sufficient IMO.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both have significant shortcomings. The IE8s' bass overwhelms the other frequencies and the etys lack bass for the most part (possibly helped by your D10s though)

What'd I'd recommend is a used Westone um3x. The UM3X is slightly less detailed than the etys but is very well balanced and apparently has brilliant synergy with the D10. There isn't the thumping bass of the IE8s but the bass is quite present and sufficient IMO.

X2 !!

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 21
The IE8s "bass overwhelm" is IMO just some statement coming from, well thats what theyre known for. But it does not. With the right tips, undeep insertion they are extremely good. They're warm but not unbalanced and dark. The D10 and other iBasso amps helps it out ALOT. HA thought the D10 was the best portable amp for it. And certainly it will tighten up the bass and reveal some of the mdis and highs people look at as gone. i dont. The UM3X doesnt appeal to me as a very fun headphone at all. The soundstage on the IE8 is superb in its price range, for an IEM or not, and the isolation, is not as good as the etys. But you have to sacrifise that for the open soundstage.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 21
I agree with Gbjerke, The comment about overwhelming bass usually come from people who have never listened to the IE8 themselves but are just giving opinions on what they have heard by a few people who only like headphones with anemic bass, The fact that you can tune the bass to your personal preference means it never has to be overpowering, on the lowest setting the sound is very balanced and even on the 3rd setting which is my preference i still dont find the bass overwhelming. As for soundstage it is imense and blows away any other IEM i have ever listened to.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 21
My friend has the UM3X, didnt even manage to get my foot tapping to my favourite songs. It's very detailed though..

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 21
It really just depends what adiZero is looking for in terms of sound signature. Everyone is promoting what they like here. IEMs come in all sorts of flavors and sizes. Perhaps he can tell us what kind of music he generally listens to in order to give him better advice? I had the IE8s and can tell you what I thought of them but everyone hears things differently. I felt they had their strong points and weak points. I can not comment on the Ety's, though, as I never had them. Currently I do have the Westone UM3X and am very happy with them but that's just me.

You can not deny that the IE8s ARE a bass heavy set of IEMs. I mean, come on. I'm not saying that the bass is muffled or anything but let's be realistic here. It is certainly in the forefront.

The UM3X is a lot more balanced but very in your face. The vocals come right at you in a very aggressive way. They are "studio monitors" and sound that way. They are very clear and concise, though.

The IE8s' soundstage is unbelievable. Truly in a class of its own. A very laid back and relaxed phone to listen to. It has a little more "flavor" than the UM3X, if that's what you want. It's more "fun".

The UM3X is VERY comfortable and it also provides great isolation. One of the shortcomings of the IE8 is that many people have had issues with getting the right fit. And since it is a semi-open IEM it does not isolate like many other IEMs do. I did happen to get a great fit with the IE8s and the isolation still does not comapare with the Westones.

Having said all of THAT... what do you listen to? That will really help in determining what you should consider. It may not even be any of the aforementioned IEMs.

-T

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 21
Well so is the W3. Not really much of a difference, but because people who got them were used to using foam tips and didn't burn them in properly, the IE8 got stapled as something bad. There's a review on them on amazon. Thats one of those using foam, shoving them as far in as they can and 2-3 hours on them. In a comparison between the IE8 and W3 there were no talking of overpowering of anything. He liked W3s better because they had better Freq. response, and that mattered more to him than sounstage.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 21
Like everyone always says, your own ears tell the biggest story. The only thing we can do here is give our own impressions. It just so happens that the IE8 has gotten the reputation as being on the bassier side; and I would not disagree with that at all. I guess what we all should ideally do is read the HUNDREDS of pages of posts in each thread and come to our own conclusion about what to invest in. And then if we don't like it, sell it off. That's what I do. It works ; )

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 21
Thanks guys for all your comments. I actually decided to go for a used pair of Etymotic ER4S. The price was alright, so I thought why not give it a try!

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like everyone always says, your own ears tell the biggest story. The only thing we can do here is give our own impressions. It just so happens that the IE8 has gotten the reputation as being on the bassier side; and I would not disagree with that at all. I guess what we all should ideally do is read the HUNDREDS of pages of posts in each thread and come to our own conclusion about what to invest in. And then if we don't like it, sell it off. That's what I do. It works ; )

might as well not read them, work above average in the hours you would be reading and buy them all.
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 21
I owned the IE 8 and ER-4P. I loved both. I ended up with the ER-4P. The bass is fine coming from the IE 8 with shallow insertion. Although they're different worlds, I find either of them difficult to dislike.

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
might as well not read them, work above average in the hours you would be reading and buy them all.
wink.gif

If ONLY it were that easy- hahaha. Um, I'll take some milk, some eggs, a pair of JH-13s, some UE-11s, a Senn IE8 and a Westone UM3X... to GO!
happy_face1.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 21
i have the opposite effect on the IE8s and ER4p, found the ER4ps boring...
after like half a year of IE8s they really sound good the bass is well defined after burnt in... and the isolation for me isn't a problem... using shure (e2c)tips, i can't hear any background noise when the music's on, (i.e on bus, uni 'lounges' where ppl keep yelling) i can only hear them if they're right next to me yelling (annoying ppl...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back