Etymotic Ear Tip Options
Apr 22, 2020 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

IEMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
I’m a fan of Etymotic IEMs, and actually like the deep insertion and great isolation for certain occasions, but the deep insertion is by far the biggest issue most people have with them. Plus, sometimes you just don’t want so much isolation. I’ve been exploring different ear tip options that don’t require you to stick the IEM into your brain. I have a few to share, and anyone else with ideas, please share them with us as well. In general, ear tips for IEMs with narrow nozzles will likely fit the Etymotics. Brands such as Shure and Westone are probably the most widely available. I know Comply makes foam tips specifically for these IEMs as well.

This is a comparison between the Klipsch single BA IEM X10i vs the Etymotic ER2XR. The Klipsch ear tips do fit the Etymotic, but the stem is much longer on the Etymotic, and the Klipsch tips just cover the end of the nozzle, so it’s not as secure, but it works, and the Klipsch ear tips seal really well. The Etymotics will stick out of your ear canal quite a bit with this combo though.

687F9019-1459-463D-8164-0AF1E06E932E.jpeg

This is what the Klipsch ear tip looks like on the Etymotic. The Shure Olives (foam tips) also fit the Etymotic, and cover most of the nozzle. With the Shure tips, the IEM doesn’t stick out of your ear as much. The fit and seal with the foamies are really good.

FE2497CD-91DA-4B1E-83D1-463EF9B132F2.jpeg

This is the Klipsch ear tip and the rubber (I think) Shure tip. These Shure tips fit the IEM better than than the foamies, in that they fully cover the nozzle. They also seal well. It may be beneficial to use a smaller size tip and insert the IEM a little bit deeper for a really good seal.

392109B0-6D4F-4569-8137-5B727B0471CB.jpeg
1F1D4D6B-4EA7-4DDA-996D-E71534FC781A.jpeg

This is the Final Audio Type E tip with an adapter for Shure/Westone IEMs. It also works with Etymotic IEMs.

216F4F7D-F8B3-48D1-A28F-0EC78E6D857F.jpeg
CA89EA53-CF12-4158-B5E0-97D22AE947CC.jpeg

When using the Final Type E tips, the end of the Etymotic’s nozzle is right up to the opening of the ear tip.

687E5284-0635-4944-8AD6-B47EA977FAA8.jpeg

Of course, as with all IEMs, changing the ear tip changes the sound, and experimentation is necessary. In general, I find using the single flange tips make the overall sound a little bit brighter, likely due to the tip of the IEM nozzle being closer to the opening of the ear tip. Also, many ear tips have wider bores than the really narrow bores of the Etymotic tips. Because the insertion is much more shallow with these other tips, I find the sound stage to be a bit wider, and the music doesn’t sound like it’s in the middle of your head as much. For really critical listening, such as using the ER4SR for mastering recordings, I’d recommend using the Etymotic tips, for accuracy.

What other ideas do you have?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 46
Apr 22, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 46
i use sony tips, they work well but the tonality is a bit warmer (not ideal for me), the other tips that work well are the modified KZ tips, i am still searching for a solution that will have less effect on the tonality (compared to the stock tips)
9940948_l.jpgIMG_20191229_113454.jpg

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 46
I sent a message to Etymotic and they said the dual flanges would be out this Thursday (although they said "two weeks" and since Thursday seems like a weird launch day, I am assuming Friday hopefully), which look like a decent alternative.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 46
I have been using the Westone Star-Fit (silicone) and True-Fit (foam) tips for my Etymotics on a near-daily basis for over 3 years now.

https://www.amazon.com/Westone-True-Fit-Foam-Replacement-Eartips/dp/B00DBAAGZK/

They have given by far the best sound, fit, and isolation out of any tip I've ever used for them -- especially when it comes to the foam True-Fit. Frankly, I can't even use the Etymotic branded ones anymore as they become uncomfortable after only 5-10 minutes.

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 46
I received the dual flange tips with my Drop ER4XR in addition to the standard Ety tips.

May 4, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 46
how about SpinFit CP800 ?

I just tried them. They fit well, though due to the length of the Etymotic nozzles, the “spin” function is a little impaired, but insignificantly I think. I don’t really like the wobbly core, which makes it more difficult to get a good seal with the Etymotic IEM shape, which you usually just shove straight in. Once there’s a decent seal, the bass is present, but noticeably less, with less impact. However, the upper mids and highs are very transparent, and it sounds more spacious in general.

Personally, I prefer the Shure rubber/silicone tips for overall sound balance and fit.

May 5, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 46
Have you considered the custom tips through Ety? I had a set made years ago that lasted longer than several pairs of the headphones.
Did you mean the ones made by Sensaphonics? I have not tried them just b/c I get along fine with the various Shure and Etymotic tips, but it may be a good solution for some people.

Aug 17, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 46
I posted some questions relating to tips and isolation in another thread that may be relevant:
I'm interested in the ER2XR and I have a few questions I was wondering if anyone could answer:
  1. How does the level of isolation compare to the Mee Pinnacle PX, with or without triple flange tips?
  2. Do they protrude too far from the ear to be comfortable to wear underneath noise cancelling headphones?
  3. How low is the bass extension? If you use an app like Frequency Sound Generator on Android, what is the lowest you can hear below 30hz?
  4. How is the sense of impact from the sub bass?
  5. Anyone tried putting a foam tip or a hole punched foam earplug on the body of the unit behind the eartip? If it works this could be a good way to further increase isolation, but I'm not sure if it would be comfortable with the angle of insertion.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 46
Does someone know a nozzle adapter that is available on Aliexpress? I know the Final Audio Type E pack you get an adapter but I already have these tips from E3000 so I'd like just the adapter. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 46
Does someone know a nozzle adapter that is available on Aliexpress? I know the Final Audio Type E pack you get an adapter but I already have these tips from E3000 so I'd like just the adapter. Thanks!
Why do you need the adapter? I have Final E4000 with E Type eartips. I just bought the ER-4XR and the E Type tips seem to fit perfectly without any adapter. I have just used them for an hour

A5EF8ADF-6F0F-4EE5-89CD-5DCE4B36EF59.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #15 of 46
Why do you need the adapter? I have Final E4000 with E Type eartips. I just bought the ER-4XR and the E Type tips seem to fit perfectly without any adapter. I have just used them for an hour

Because the grip is too loose on ER2 (video). I've tested it and the tip doesn't lock onto the nozzle so it slides off rather easily and since my ear canal is really tight so I don't even need to try it to figure out it'll get stuck in my ear. Also the tip flush with the nozzle in this method, I'm not sure but I think it'd be easier to clog the filter with some micro-dust or ear wax in this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back