Etymotic & Westone - Discussion & Impressions (index in 1st post)
May 24, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #76 of 408
Correct. I showed him a picture of the etymotic connector and he charged me a little bit more for those connectors.
Interesting! Since Etymotic is the only company (that I am aware of) that uses the short and angled MMCX connectors - it is not easy to find after market cables...

May 24, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #77 of 408
They are a little bulkier but better than a convertor plus straight MMCX which is too long.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #79 of 408
Hmmmm... I wonder what's inside the little round box... :thinking:

1621886206542.png

May 24, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #80 of 408
Starts with E and has three letters? :)

May 24, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #81 of 408
May 24, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #82 of 408
May 30, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #83 of 408
I lost sound in the left driver of my ER4SR. I switched the left driver over to the right side and no sound came out of the right side so I guess that isolates the problem to the driver and not the cable? I'm sending it to Etymotic under a warranty claim. He said it might take 2-3 weeks because of "covid" so I went ahead and ordered a Sennheiser 560s because I hadn't used a full sized headphone in a long time (ever since I got an Etymotic) and wanted to remember what it was like. Overall very good. Typical Sennheiser quality - which is to say high quality - and very lightweight. My only issue with it is it sounds ever so lightly hot in the treble region. In the graph here you can see it's a little hot in the 4.5k region:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7amvtfabcizrc12/Sennheiser HD560S.pdf?dl=0

May 31, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #84 of 408
ER2XR vs ER3XR
I've read a lot of reviews comparing the two. If the ER2XR cost less, it would be my choice. Most of the reviews I read seemed to suggest it is the better deal. However, with the deals on page 1 of this thread, the ER3XR would cost me about $10 less than the ER2XR. So is the EX2XR worth the extra $10?

Jun 1, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #85 of 408
ER2XR vs ER3XR
I've read a lot of reviews comparing the two. If the ER2XR cost less, it would be my choice. Most of the reviews I read seemed to suggest it is the better deal. However, with the deals on page 1 of this thread, the ER3XR would cost me about $10 less than the ER2XR. So is the EX2XR worth the extra $10?

In my opinion, it's more about which tuning you tend to prefer, as the technical qualities of both are quite comparable/not too far apart (the ER3XR really only show their mild superiority when pushed near the limits with very fast, complex and/or densely arranged music).

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #86 of 408
Gotta try those, too.
So far, only used the pre-installed 3-flange tips and they work great for me, which is quite an achievement... I can never make IEMs stay in, but the Etymotic IEMs with the triple flange definitely stay put!!
I too can never make iems stay in, So I ordered custom molds for them from Snugs Those stay in.

A major issue I have with the Etymotics type of iem cause me to hear each footstep like a thunderous "BOOM!". And ANY vibration of the cable whatsoever to be really loud. So I abandoned them for other custom mold iems.

This thread has reminded me to try them again.

I have two SE100 Bluetooth recievers and one Quidelix I would use them with. Clipped to a shirt pocket. I actually own two pairs of Etys cause I lost a set, re bought them then found the lost set.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #87 of 408
Just trying again now after a 2 year break - pretty Good!

Balanced 2.5 - 4.4 adapter - Luxury & Precision W2 USB - lightning DAC - iPhone = not bad

With blutooth AAC - Qudilix 5 - with its (amazing) eq I am able to very closely match the Ety XR’s to my 5 x cost Empire Ear Nemesis iems!

However - taking just a few steps across the room sounds terrible - thump thump / boom boom. No way will these be ok for walking around. Sitting in one place - fine - commuting / walking around (even in the house) no.

What a shame. Back in the box they go. Will probably sell them.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #88 of 408
In my opinion, it's more about which tuning you tend to prefer, as the technical qualities of both are quite comparable/not too far apart (the ER3XR really only show their mild superiority when pushed near the limits with very fast, complex and/or densely arranged music).
From what I've read, I believe I would prefer the tuning of the ER2XR with its elevated bass. So the higher MSRP doesn't make the ER3XR a "better" IEM?

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #89 of 408
From what I've read, I believe I would prefer the tuning of the ER2XR with its elevated bass. So the higher MSRP doesn't make the ER3XR a "better" IEM?

Below is the quoted comparison from my ER2XR review (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/956208/page-2#post-16245697):

A lot has already been written in my main review and sound analysis above, so here is just a small summary:

Identically great, highly linear and flat-neutral midrange and treble response with realistic timbre – no sudden dips or peaks wherefore the sound is highly authentic and realistic.

In terms of technical perception, the dynamic driver Etys are just a smidgen behind the BA Etys to my ears when it comes to ultimate note separation, but this only shows rarely when the in-ears are stressed by very busy, dense and bast sound material. Most of the time, they are remarkably close to the point of being near-indistinguishable.
Slightly “softer” bass presentation compared to the BA Etys but on its own very tight and controlled. Attacks and impact better/easier perceived when compared to the single-BA Etys.
In direct comparison, the single-BA Etys appear to have a bit of “grain” in the midrange compared to the dynamic driver Etys that do not.

Larger perceived soundstage than the single-BA Etys and highly precise as well, but starts to become “foggy”/gives in earlier with spatially very crowded, densely arranged tracks with many tonal elements at the same time.

For me personally, when listening to music from my CD rig where I prefer a flatter response and am therefore using the ER-4S, ER4SR and ER2SE (as well as Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors and InEar ProPhile 8), most of the time the ER2SE would be sufficient enough for me, and their more "tactile" bass perception is definitely nice at times, however with really fast music as well as densely arranged and fast orchestral works that are more demanding, the advantage in speed and separation that the single-BA Etys have is noticeable enough to me to pick them over the ER2SE (and I generally prefer the slightly different "BA timbre" somewhat, but that's clearly a matter of taste).

The technical difference isn't all that large, but one cannot really predict whether the slight advantage that the BA Etys have over the dynamic driver Etys is important and noticeable enough for you or not (to me it ultimately is, but then again the technical advantage that my ProPhile 8 or UERM have over my ER-4S isn't important enough for me for actual music listening/enjoyment, wherefore I am using the Etys more often than the other two multi-BA IEMs since what the ER-4S deliver is already sufficient for me, and only really "need" the other two when the Etys are really pushed to the limits by the music/recording (which is honestly rather rare) or when I want a less "sterile flat boring studio neutral" sound signature as the others are tuned more "natural neutral" with a comparatively more relaxed/coloured approach to neutrality).

Clearly the ER2XR offer that extra boost in the lower bass that the ER3XR/ER4XR don't have, and I wouldn't want to miss the ER2XR for recreational music listening (in fact they are among the upper end of my personal all-time favourite IEMs for "random" recreational music listening (i.e. PC use), along with my Moondrop Starfield (when I am looking for a basically similar sound signature but with an even stronger and warmer boost of the lows) and ORIVETI O400 (more relaxed/generally slightly v-shaped, with an even "truer" (and slightly milder) sub-bass-only bass elevation)).
Therefore it would be ultimately best if you could audition both the ER3XR as well as ER2XR and pick the ones you prefer (if you don't end up liking both equally but for different purposes), or if you are certain that you don't need/want that extra sub-bass fun that the ER2XR offer and want to be on the safer side when it comes to speed and separation, you could take the risk and directly choose the ER3XR.

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #90 of 408
However - taking just a few steps across the room sounds terrible - thump thump / boom boom. No way will these be ok for walking around. Sitting in one place - fine - commuting / walking around (even in the house) no.
Interesting...
I wonder if different tips (foam maybe?) would make the "amplified footsteps" issue go away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back