Etymotic and Shure Ear Canal Phones???
Jun 6, 2005 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IDREOS

New Head-Fier
I have read the rave reviews on these in ear canal phones, and am thinking about buying the Ety 6i's for my iriver 895.
I have never heard the Etymotics or the Shure type phones so don't know how they sound.

What is it technically about these type of earphones that creates their unique sound??

Is it the drivers they use or the fact they seal your ear canal?
confused.gif

There are cheaper "ear plug" type phones on the market but the Etymotic and the Shures seem to receive great reviews.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 5
They're some of the most actively appreciated phones I know of, you should try to search for some things. But, Ill help you out a bit:

These Canal Phones are special because they are tiny, but give the BEST isolation possible combined with good sound. Especialy the Etys, whicha re best known for their isolation (and the deep insertion you need so they give this isolation)

Some people dislike the feeling they get when they insert canalhpones, because it is quite a tight fit in your ear canal.

Calanhpones are the phones witht he least amount of size needed, and are easiest to operate (Imo, because they will only have a sealed or a not sealed position, so they cant easily go wrong), they can be very good in sound quality. Especialy the expensive Ultimate Ears are very good, they have three drivers and are custom made for your ear canal.

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 5
-Or you could start out with a pair of apple in-ear modded with a pair of mdr-ex71 tips. Very cheap good sounding solution that will at least introduce you to the world of canal phones..

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by <GNEFF> killbot
-Or you could start out with a pair of apple in-ear modded with a pair of mdr-ex71 tips. Very cheap good sounding solution that will at least introduce you to the world of canal phones..

This is what *I* did though I started out with a pair of Koss Spark Plugs. For under $20 I checked out the canalphone experience and after two weeks of comfort & enjoyment made the switch to a pair of Shure E3's though I could have just as well chosen the Ety's. Did a lot of research regarding the type of music I listen to and the edge went to Shure. Ahhh, sonic bliss for me, YMMV! How come there's no Shure smilie?

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Since Comming to Head-fi, I have bought HD515, Ety ER6i, and Shure E2c. The Canalphones are great. When I first came to Head-fi, I was looking for information on noise-cancelling headphones such as the Bose QCII and found that the concensus was that the IEM's had a better sound. Although the sound on the 3 sets of phones that I have is quite different I enjoy them each for their different sound qualities. Sometimes my neighbors have parties until late at night so I use the ER6i's to sleep. Even when my MP3 player stops (I don't like to put it on continuous play) I cannot hear them. I find that the ER6i's are the most comfortable to sleep with of the phones that I have.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back