ETYMŌTIC IEM Owners Headcount - Are you one?
Sep 28, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #676 of 1,007
When I was 14, I practically lived at a store down the street called "Stereo Components" (1976). The owner was a speaker designer, and trained me to listen critically to music. I always had questions for him, and when he'd answer me I'd ask him why and what about "this or that", like his answer might not be right.

I remember something profound he once said to me, "Larry, if you live to be 30 you will be a success". I always wondered if he meant, he wasn't sure I'd make it to 30, or I wouldn't be a success till then, or both...

As Yoda would say to this young teen online, "Be like that padwan, you should not."
redface.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #678 of 1,007
Is there anywhere that sells the etymotic foamies (or any other brand that fits er-4s) for cheaper than Etymotic themselves? I've read the DIY thread, but I really don't have the time or inclination to make them myself. I'd also like to try the comply tips, but it seems they cost several $ for a single pair...?

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #679 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anywhere that sells the etymotic foamies (or any other brand that fits er-4s) for cheaper than Etymotic themselves? I've read the DIY thread, but I really don't have the time or inclination to make them myself. I'd also like to try the comply tips, but it seems they cost several $ for a single pair...?

Yep, http://discountheadphones.com/ . I think they are about the same price as everywhere else, but they have free shipping. Other sites charge you 6 bucks for something that weighs less than material they sent it in.

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #680 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget, the cmoy bass boost will be more expensive when the new ones come out with volume control - it was an extra $10 for volume and an extra $5 for dual gain on the old circuit board, so it might be only $10 extra for both with the new design. but, then you have to ship from the US to the UK.

I will report on the PenguinAmp.com Caffeine with bass boost, which will be here any day. It might be cheaper or faster for you, being shipped from Germany. He might even charge a minimal fee to add bass boost to the lower model. Having two models of Caffeine is only a recent thing, and it used to be the bass boost and gain were "add-ons".

Yeah, i guess, have to do the totting up when it comes back out......

I reckon $60?? + shipping..... oh dear!! i will have to look into the german one.....

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #681 of 1,007
Just looking at the caffeine pro, its £38 shipped
eek.gif
.... i WISH i could buy one used
frown.gif
i love buying used things, so my more wallet friendly......

Let me know if you want to sell one of your amps, by the way shipping from chicago -> uk was only $4.50.....

EDIT: Seaber = £32 ish i reckon
Caffeine Pro = £42.50 (and a plain tin, in the picture
frown.gif
)
Caffeine = £32.50
Why would he add bass boost and dual gain to the regular amp, when the pro (i think) is the same just with the dual gain and bass boost.....it wouldnt be in his interest??

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #683 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just looking at the caffeine pro, its £38 shipped
eek.gif
.... i WISH i could buy one used
frown.gif
i love buying used things, so my more wallet friendly......

Let me know if you want to sell one of your amps, by the way shipping from chicago -> uk was only $4.50.....

EDIT: Seaber = £32 ish i reckon
Caffeine Pro = £42.50 (and a plain tin, in the picture
frown.gif
)
Caffeine = £32.50
Why would he add bass boost and dual gain to the regular amp, when the pro (i think) is the same just with the dual gain and bass boost.....it wouldnt be in his interest??

When I first told you to check them out, a while back, they were $49 and add $10 for bass boost and $10 for dual gain. It seems Robert re-designed them and now you have to pay a little more. But, his amps seem to be very high quality electronics, despite the case they come in - I use the Penguin Royal more than my RSA Tomahawk, which is 3x more expensive than the Penguin.

I will still keep the TH for times when I really do need the smallest package = a 3G 8gb nano velcro'd to the top of the TH. Now, that is small
eek.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #687 of 1,007
EFN,

I suppose I'm going on a month with my ER6i and having sold them once they came back to me later that week, so you might as well add me, you just have to give me a number closer to #1 than Baines93
icon10.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #689 of 1,007
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN,

I suppose I'm going on a month with my ER6i and having sold them once they came back to me later that week, so you might as well add me, you just have to give me a number closer to #1 than Baines93
icon10.gif

Welcome to the club buddy
etysmile.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #690 of 1,007
I really feel like I found my IEM with these. I had sworn off them after having 2 prs of Shures that just did not do it for me (2c, 4c). I felt both were uncomfortably intrusive and sound was marginal at best. I have since sold them both and decided to do some research based on what I like in big HPs. These seemed to have the closest sig to Grados, at least in the highs dept. And I love them- no fatigue, and the sound is stellar. If you have witten off IEMs- I would highly recommend trying out ER4P and hit Turbo up for his 75 resistor so you can carry the best of the P and S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back