Ety tips flange or foam
Mar 14, 2002 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
I am considering the Ety ER4p. What I would like to know is: does anyone use the foam tips? I am afraid I would not be able to wear Ety's with the flange tips. I can't wear earplugs that look exactley like the Ety flang tip. I have no problem with foam ear plugs. The flange type goes too deep in my ear and causes a gag reflex. What do you think of the foam tips on the Ety's? Has anyone ever cleaned them, or do you just toss 'em when they get dirty?

Mar 14, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 25
The fomaies are meant to be disposed and after a few weeks of use they get too dirty and do not expand anymore, and must be chucked.

Really, try and get used to the flange tips, they are much better and they get softer over time and use.

Mar 14, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I am considering the Ety ER4p. What I would like to know is: does anyone use the foam tips? I am afraid I would not be able to wear Ety's with the flange tips. I can't wear earplugs that look exactley like the Ety flang tip. I have no problem with foam ear plugs. The flange type goes too deep in my ear and causes a gag reflex. What do you think of the foam tips on the Ety's? Has anyone ever cleaned them, or do you just toss 'em when they get dirty?

There are different brands of foam tips available as well as different sizes of flange tips. My Etys came with both sizes and the smaller tips proved to be more comfortable. Sounds like you may need the larger size.

Whatever tips you finally settle on, you can be assured of one thing: you're in for a treat!

Mar 14, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 25
I am going to be using these at work. The Ety's seem perfect due to their great isolation value. It is very noisey at work. I wear earplugs all day. I am using the Sony EX-70 right now but they don't block out enough noise unless I turn them up too high. Wearing ear muffs over them is working but, summer is coming and muffs get sweaty. Plus they start to hurt after a couple of hours where the cord gets caught under the muff.

Spad; I have not seen other brands of foamies, where to you find those?

Mar 14, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I am going to be using these at work. The Ety's seem perfect due to their great isolation value. It is very noisey at work. I wear earplugs all day. I am using the Sony EX-70 right now but they don't block out enough noise unless I turn them up too high. Wearing ear muffs over them is working but, summer is coming and muffs get sweaty. Plus they start to hurt after a couple of hours where the cord gets caught under the muff.

Spad; I have not seen other brands of foamies, where to you find those?

The Ety 4P 'sounds' like an ideal choice for you. Since it appears that you may be moving about while wearing them, you will also want to change the cable to get rid of the microphonics eventually. The cost is about $40 and the benefit is huge.

Here's one foamie alternative. (You won't need the additional tubes.)

http://www.earsupply.com/v7commerce/...Code=CompyTips

I agree with cych: Try to get used to the silicon (white) tips. They're much less hassle and, if sized properly, fairly comfortable. I've worn mine as long as five hours without complaint.

Mar 14, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 25
I'm one of the people who simply can't get a good seal, or good comfort, with the white/rubber tips. I've owned two pairs of Etys, and have just never been able to use the white tips. The foamies are much more comfortable for me, and seal better.

Mar 14, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 25
MacDEF, have you tried lubricating the tip and ear canal with water? I can't seem to get a good seal/it is uncomfortable if I do not do this...

Mar 15, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
MacDEF, have you tried lubricating the tip and ear canal with water? I can't seem to get a good seal/it is uncomfortable if I do not do this...

Yep, I've tried everything
wink.gif
Some people's ears are just not made for the whites, it appears.

Mar 15, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Yep, I've tried everything
wink.gif
Some people's ears are just not made for the whites, it appears.

Yeah but your robot managed to get in at least one flange...
evil_smiley.gif
if your robot can do it...so can you
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I'm one of the people who simply can't get a good seal, or good comfort, with the white/rubber tips. I've owned two pairs of Etys, and have just never been able to use the white tips. The foamies are much more comfortable for me, and seal better.

Here's a thread on the subject that I posted a while back. But, being an old Ety hand, you're probably already aware of this stuff, MacDEF.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...et+Of+The+Seal

Mar 15, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 25
Yep, I've tried it all. My ear canal is curved weird -- when I had my hearing tested last fall by an audiologist, even they had a hard time getting a seal for the pressure tests
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 25
Thanks for all the advice. I checked out the link from Spad. I am going to try this with my earplugs and see if I can make it work. I may just have a shallow ear canal. That 45 degree angle may be the key. I need to wear the Sony's at work a few more days to be sure I can "get away with it". There are some logistical problems yet to be addressed. (I am not really supposed to be listening to music at work.)

Mar 15, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 25
Spad,
Your article certainly helped me to finally achieve a good seal with the flange tips! I've owned the 4S's now for about 1 1/2 years and was never able to get the flange tips to seal good. That is until I read your post. I never realized I had to angle them. That was the key! Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 9:19 AM Post #14 of 25
I must disagree with anyone finding the flanged tips superior to the foam tips. Here’s why.

I cannot find a way (and believe me I’ve tried), to insert the flanged tips into my ears without creating an above ambient pressure condition in the trapped air space between the tip and my eardrum. I find that this negatively affects sound quality.

The outer and middle sections of the ear are separated by the tympanic membrane (eardrum), which is elastic. Any difference in pressure between the outer ear and inner ear is normally allowed to equalize by the Eustachian tube that connects the middle ear to the throat, (i.e., when the outer ear pressure is ambient, and the pressure at the openings for the Eustachian tubes (in your throat) is ambient, the two sections of the ear have equalized pressure. The Eustachian tubes allow air to leave the middle ear easier than it allows air to go in, because the tubes can be pinched shut due to increasing ambient air pressure, (have you ever noticed how your inner ear pressure automatically equalized while driving up into the mountains but you had a difficult time equalizing on the way down out of the mountains?).

By inserting the flanged tip into the ear canal, you create a higher-than-ambient pressure condition in the outer ear. And what will the inner ear pressure be? Ambient. Congratulations. You’ve just created a difference in pressure. Is there any way to fix it? (besides taking the flanged tip out of your ear canal)? NOPE. You can’t raise the middle ear pressure (by doing the Valsalva maneuver), to above ambient for more than a few seconds, because the Eustachian tube will allow the air to vent out of the middle ear until the pressure is back down to ambient.

This difference in pressure between the outer and middle ear causes the eardrum (because it is elastic), to distort in shape and bulge towards the middle ear.

Do you think that would have an affect on the sound? I do. How much better could you hear after clearing your ears when driving down out of the mountains?

I’ve read posts here where people pull the flanged tip back out just a bite in the ear canal to remedy the above ambient pressure condition. Ok. How far? Until the pressure is below ambient and I bulge the eardrum towards the outer ear (resulting in the same problem)?

Flanged earplugs were originally designed to block noise, where most folks are not concerned with sound quality (other than the level of sound).

I find foam tips superior because I can roll them to a small diameter, insert them in my ear canal, and allow them to slowly expand without a noticeable pressure change. I posted a thread about them here about a week ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=8787

If you would like to read more about the ear you can start here:

www.augie.edu/perry/ear/hearmech.htm

Do a comparison between the flanged tips and whatever foam tips you have available. Let me know if you hear a difference too.

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by flashbak
Spad,
Your article certainly helped me to finally achieve a good seal with the flange tips! I've owned the 4S's now for about 1 1/2 years and was never able to get the flange tips to seal good. That is until I read your post. I never realized I had to angle them. That was the key! Thanks!
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you found it helpful, flashbak.

If you can manage the flange tips--and the majority of us can--I think you'll be much better off. If not, Flight Hazard's post will provide an accurate explanation of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back