Ety MC5
Aug 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #196 of 202
Nice find there Anaxilus! I'm assuming they might be a bit easier to drive now. Are the bass and treble up more now? It sounds like the mid forwardness was due in some part to the filter's constraint.

I was thinking of trying a pair and doing some mod's with tips and trying my S-adapter on them. This adds some further possibilities and renews my interest in them. They might have more potential than I first thought.

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #198 of 202

Quote:
Nice find there Anaxilus! I'm assuming they might be a bit easier to drive now. Are the bass and treble up more now? It sounds like the mid forwardness was due in some part to the filter's constraint.

I was thinking of trying a pair and doing some mod's with tips and trying my S-adapter on them. This adds some further possibilities and renews my interest in them. They might have more potential than I first thought.

Mid forwardness was definitely the filter.  The treble is certainly up, more so than the bass.  Bass has a bit more quantity but extension is the same.  If you try it just make sure you only go one to two threads on the tool and pull them.  Just twist them off the tool and save them, you can pop them back in later by twisting the tool back into the newly threaded part of the filter.  Just tap the filters back in and they mold to the nozzle as good as new.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #199 of 202
Posted this in RE0 thread but thought I would ask here as well. Any suggestions for an amp? I was looking at the Fiio E7. Source will 90% of the time be PC, so I need a dac/amp combo unit. Trying to keep it lightweight, I don't do enough critical listening to have nice audio equipment, just looking for something that will let me get most of my money's worth out of the MC5s(or RE0s)

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #200 of 202

Quote:
Posted this in RE0 thread but thought I would ask here as well. Any suggestions for an amp? I was looking at the Fiio E7. Source will 90% of the time be PC, so I need a dac/amp combo unit. Trying to keep it lightweight, I don't do enough critical listening to have nice audio equipment, just looking for something that will let me get most of my money's worth out of the MC5s(or RE0s)

I got a FiiO E7 and was using it for a few days and was mostly pleased with it, but before I knew it the upgrade bug hit me again and I got the udac2. The E7 has a lot going for it with the screen and form factor and portability should you ever want to use it away from your laptop, but in terms of pure sound quality, the udac2 has it beat. The frequency response is incredible, from top to bottom. Plus, it has a lot more gain to play with. I barely turn the knob 3/4 of the way up to half and the volume levels start to get uncomfortable. This is when paired with my MC5's. When I get my er-4ps back from Etymotic and use my adapter cable that perhaps will change.

The E7 is still a good product though. The bass boost and other features like key lock and sleep timer and volume memory are nice. Plus the fact that it can be used portably as I mentioned before.

Based on your criteria I'd go for the udac2 though. It's not that much more than the E7 brand new.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #201 of 202
Thanks for turning me on to the udac2. I have a 2008 zero right now and since I got rid of my 650s and 595s(soon) the zero just seems like too much, in both price(I paid 250(lots of mods)) and size. I don't really have room for it unless I have it in the "listening room". Something that can sit on the edge of the desk would be more fitting for me and would look a whole lot better since I'm moving to IEMs.

Got MC5s in the mail today, I don't have a quarter inch to 1/8th" adapter atm so no amp. First impressions are extremely sibiliant straight out of PC, unusable, should have the udac2 here soon and I will get some break-in hours on them before that arrives. I don't think they'll improve enough to warrant keeping them though, this worries me as the RE0s are supposed to have even less bass than the MC5s? HD595s straight out of PC have more bass than these things. Halfway wish I hadn't sold my 650s now, but I still have need for IEM so I'll keep hunting if the MC5s and RE0s won't cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back