Ety MC5
Aug 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #166 of 202
^The same thing happened when I first tried an Etymotic... the Hf5 actually, which seemed terribly disappointing immediately after insertion.

Then I got an S9, paired it with an Mc5 (after doing a direct comparison to the Hf5 of course), and have been loving it ever since.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #168 of 202
Well, still loving my MC5 straight out of an iPod. No lack of bass or any other part of the spectrum. Just very neutral and transparent- it kind of disappears and doesn't get between me and the recording. Which will disappoint some who want more "wow" factor, but if you want the most accurate reproduction for the buck the MC5 definitely delivers.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #169 of 202
MC5 arrived today.  Sound is reminiscent of the RE0 in the clarity of the upper registers, and leanness of bass, but that is with 10 minutes of playing time.  They will stay plugged into my bass-heavy portable CD player overnight and for most of tomorrow to help it loosen up some.  There is a real-ness in the way it plays acoustic instruments that I know were recorded live in studio with a single condenser mic -- very impressive.  Makes me wonder how the ER-4P would sound!

I've not had a IEM with the length of nozzle the Ety's have.  I almost felt like I wasn't going to get the smokey eartips off to put the white tri's on. Finally got the guts to pull and twist hard enough to get it off.  The white tri-flanges fit great with near 100% isolation, but I will probably try some other tips, but the only ones that might fit this skinny nozzle is my fake Sony hybrids.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #170 of 202
Any chance you could do a comparison to the RE0? People typically recommend it, but for isolation and natural FR, I can't believe it would beat an Etymotic... And then there's build quality to consider.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #171 of 202

Quote:
Any chance you could do a comparison to the RE0? People typically recommend it, but for isolation and natural FR, I can't believe it would beat an Etymotic... And then there's build quality to consider.

Do a search- there were a couple of people who compared the two. As I recall they came out pretty equal in those comparisons.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #172 of 202

Quote:

If you are asking me, I sold my RE0 about 3 weeks ago when I came to the conclusion that I was just not going to get the bass impact from the RE0 that I wanted.  I'll see about the MC5.

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #174 of 202
Since I know the MC5 appears to be compatible with the Comply T-100 ear tips, has anyone tried the MC5 with these ear tips and tell me how it sounds? Or has anyone tried the Shure medium sleeves used for their SE-series IEM's? One thing I like about the T-100 eartips is that it forms a tight seal inside my ear canal, and that results in a dramatic improvement in sound quality of my Klipsch Image S4i IEM's compared to Klipsch's own oval ear tips.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #175 of 202
I'm fortunate enough to have ear canals shaped such that I can easily get a good seal with the standard (white) triflanges. With those I would characterize the bass as just a little less than my Grado SR80 (with bowls), less only because the MC5 while going plenty deep is very neutral and lacks the audible midbass hump of the Grados. I only tried the Ety foam tips briefly but they do seem to boost the bass a little, and probably other foam tips would do the same for those who want their bass a tad north of strict neutrality. But while I haven't heard any of the BA-based Etys and so can't say if the MC5 is any bassier than they are (as some have claimed), taken on their own they're clearly never going to make you happy if slamming bass is your thing. For better and (to some tastes) for worse they're just very neutral over the whole frequency spectrum and have very little "flavor" of their own.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #176 of 202
Although not completely identical, I have tried the Ety HF5 with Shure medium sleeves.  I wouldn't call it a "dramatic" improvement, but the Shure's did seem to seal better, thus providing a "fuller" sound.  At the time I thought that maybe the Shure's made the high end a little more harsh, and so that's why I went back to the tri-flanges.  I may give them another try just to make sure.

Overall, it's my opinion that the eartips don't really change the sound signature.  What's changing is the amount of seal obtained, which correlates to the "fullness" of the sound (mid's and low's).  Everyone's ear canal is shaped differently, so it's just a matter of finding tips that conform the best to your ear canal shape, offer the best comfort and most isolation.

Quote:
Since I know the MC5 appears to be compatible with the Comply T-100 ear tips, has anyone tried the MC5 with these ear tips and tell me how it sounds? Or has anyone tried the Shure medium sleeves used for their SE-series IEM's? One thing I like about the T-100 eartips is that it forms a tight seal inside my ear canal, and that results in a dramatic improvement in sound quality of my Klipsch Image S4i IEM's compared to Klipsch's own oval ear tips.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #177 of 202
Well, tips certainly can completely screw up the sound signature. Just try the mushroom-shaped abominations Ety calls "gliders" for proof. Yecch.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #178 of 202

Quote:

Overall, it's my opinion that the eartips don't really change the sound signature.  What's changing is the amount of seal obtained, which correlates to the "fullness" of the sound (mid's and low's).  Everyone's ear canal is shaped differently, so it's just a matter of finding tips that conform the best to your ear canal shape, offer the best comfort and most isolation.

Your are correct about seal giving you the complete sound.  However, tips absolutely can change a signature.  The material used can enforce or absorb sound waves affecting treble and bass.  The size of the aperture can restrict or unleash particular frequencies and affect color and temperature of the signature as well.  IME.  If i had to come up w/ a BS ratio it would be 70-80% driver, 20-30% tip choice.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #179 of 202
Beat me Anaxilus. What he said. And here's my less scientific view.

Also can't agree that tips don't change sound. The circumference of the sound tube, for example, can alter treble response (larger the tube, the more treble emphasis). I have the HF-2s now (replaced the MC5s) and they sound fine much different with my custom sleeves than they do with my triple flanges or even the foamies. Tips do change sound, but I also agree that ear canal shape is also a critical factor in how you hear IEMs. Which is why I guess the custom tips and the Etys work so well for me. No other tip is even close in terms of SQ for that IEM.

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #180 of 202
Tried the fake Sony hybrids, which are the smallest core size tips I have, and they don't fit right.  The hybrid core is slightly too big for the MC5 nozzle, and once it slides all the way down to the body, the MC5 nozzle is almost sticking out of the hybrid opening.  I'm getting very good seal with the Ety white tri-flange, and yes, it seems the MC5 bass is more pronounced than the RE0, what I remember of it from 3 weeks ago.  Still burning in, with only about 24 hours so far -- going for about 60 before I listen to them extensively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back