Ety MC5
Jul 8, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #136 of 202
Hey, it's all good. I just wanted to let HFers know that there are those who prefer the MC5 over the S4, me being one. I don't remember what player(s) you have, but you can EQ the S4 but not the MC5? As for the amp, the FiiO to me is more volume booster than amp. And as noted, today I plugged the MC5s into my Touch with no EQ or amp, and the bass line in the Eagles' track was deep, present and sounded great. No, it did not rock the house, but it wasn't missing eiher.

This saves you the hassle of selling off the S4s. If you want to step up, I am pretty sure the Fischer DBA-02s would sound better than the S4s. And they are only about double the price.

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #137 of 202
@slaters: perhaps I spoke too soon. I have been listening to MC5 for several hours, and am quite liking them too. And yes, they do not sound anemic in the bass, but the bass is less than S4. But I am still liking them - they do sound a little cleaner than S4. Ah, decisions decisions!

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #139 of 202
It seems like the bass doesn't have that much punch, but do these have good subbass? Or does it roll off like the RE0s?

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #140 of 202
Crazy hobby. I'm sure you will make the best choice for you. But it's always good to give an IEM some time, for adjusting to the sound, etc. And again, I am a true believer of burn-in, esp with dynamics of course, which the MC5s happen to be.

Quote:
@slaters: perhaps I spoke too soon. I have been listening to MC5 for several hours, and am quite liking them too. And yes, they do not sound anemic in the bass, but the bass is less than S4. But I am still liking them - they do sound a little cleaner than S4. Ah, decisions decisions!

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #141 of 202

Quote:
It seems like the bass doesn't have that much punch, but do these have good subbass? Or does it roll off like the RE0s?

Can't say, since I am not expert enough to even know what roll-off is using my ears alone. Maybe a smarter owner will check in with an appraisal of the sub-bass. Plus, I have not heard the RE0.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #142 of 202

Quote:

I wouldn't say the bass in the RE0 rolls off -- it has very good bass extension (getting to the lowest notes).  The S4 has more bass impact than the RE0 -- really hitting your gut with a kick-drum.  Now, with the S4 impact also comes, IMO, a bit of boominess, a bit of uncontrolled bass body that can smother and overwhelm the mids.  I returned my S4 when I had about 60 hours on it, and it had settled a good bit in that area, so it could be that after 100+ hours, it is even less boomy.  At the same time, the RE0 loosens and gains some bass body after 60-100 hours.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #143 of 202
After hearing MC5 some for several more hours, the sound is growing on me. And, it certainly has more bass than er6i - even unamped I can feel the difference on several tracks. Still undecided between MC5 and S4, but MC5 seem like a great choice too.

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #145 of 202
Two questions in regards to the MC5: 

1) How efficient are they? Do they have decent volume when driven by an iPod nano 4G or 5G?

2) Can you use the Comply Foam T-100 or Tx-100 ear tips on the MC5?

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #146 of 202
1) They are okay, not great re efficiency. I have to turn my Zune up pretty far, but it also depends on the rip. Not a problem with the Touch or J3 however, especially the J3.

2) No, I think the Comply P Series is best. But just use the Comply Website and choose ER4P. They have basically the same nozzles as the 4P or the er6i. Maybe the TX/T-100 will work, but the Comply tip selecting thing will work.

Jul 10, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #147 of 202

Quote:
2) No, I think the Comply P Series is best. But just use the Comply Website and choose ER4P. They have basically the same nozzles as the 4P or the er6i. Maybe the TX/T-100 will work, but the Comply tip selecting thing will work.

I just checked the Comply website and if the nozzle on the MC5 is the same as the nozzle on the ER4P, then I can still use the T-100 or Tx-100 ear tips.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #149 of 202

A few questions:

Does anyone have experience with the MC5 and iPhone 3GS (headphone out)? If so, what are your impressions? I'd like to replace my trusty but tired RE2 for commuting (subway, city bus) with something that provides better isolation and SQ. Looking to stay under $100.

And most importantly: Does anyone know if the MC5 is named for the MC5?

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #150 of 202
A funny thing happened on the way to the FS forum. Today, I decided to do some additional head to head listening between the Ety MC5s and the RE-Zeros, and with my gear (3G Touch w/LOD and T3 and ZuneHD with mini cable and T3), the MC5s actually won the battle, if not the war. I used the UM56 custom sleeves and got a good seal, ran through my HP tryout playlist, and was surprised to hear that in detail and mids, the Etys were right there with the RE-Zero, and on the bottom end, they delivered a little more and it was not fuzzy or loose, very high quality, detailed bass.

So that means more listening, and more comparing. I think I tried to give them short shrift mainly because I have enough IEMs and figured I would get some cash back. As I originally thought, for $79 (I had actually lowered the price to $65 here), they are a very very good IEM, I believe. Ety sound, yes. And that's good. But not dry or too analytic. But the bass is not bad, not bad at all. Now, I am going to use them amped, but that's true of the RE-Zero as well, and even the DBAs for that matter, I like the T3 so much. It's not like other heavy, clunky amps. Easy to carry, and gives me that great volume control that neither the Touch or the ZuneHD have to offer. Plus, regardless of the naysayers, I think the T3 delivers more than just a louder IEM.

Anyway, the Etys stay (I had to take them off ebay too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back