Ety MC5
Jun 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #93 of 202
Slaters70, I've read through this whole thread, have a couple of questions.

Comparing the MC5 to the RE0 in terms of:

1. Durability/Build Quality/cable strain Reliefs
2. Sound quality ( Though from what i've read RE0 is slightly better, but how much would you rate said difference?
3. What other IEM would you recommend around those models MC5/RE0 ? eg. analytical.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #95 of 202
I am pretty tempted by these. The ER6i was my first iem and always wanted to get back to an Etymotic phone after selling my ER6i and these seem like it. Maybe in a couple months I'll pick these up as I don't want to spend more money on purchases right now.

@maudit: There really aren't that many analytical type phones at this price range. At under $100 I don't know of anything other than RE0, ER6i and MC5. I don't know your budget but if you go up from there you can get the HF5, DBA 02, CK90PRO, etc.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #96 of 202
Rawster my budget is pretty much $200 under, the problem is that the DBA 02 are soldout almost everywhere and I considered the HF5 but I figured since the MC5 are newer, they "would" probably sound better? I'm open to suggestions though, so please, by all means! Shoot!
Also they need to have shipping in the US.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #97 of 202
Build wise i'm pretty sure the MC5s tops the RE0. I haven't owned the MC5, but according to all who have used them they're great in that aspect, even surpassing the HF5s. The RE0s have average build and are actually not that reliable. SQ wise I'll be surprised the RE0s surpass the MC5s, my guess is that the Etys are going to be at least on par because they seem to do very well against the RE-Zeros (according to slaters).

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #98 of 202
I don't own the RE0, so can't do any direct comparisons. I believe the MC5s hold their own against the RE-Zeros, which are a newer HD model. The RE-Zeros, however, are a different earphone from the RE0 (they are balanced and require an adaptor). I would say the RE-Zero treble is a bit smoother (in head to head listening), but the MC5s not really very far behind).

Not sure where you read the RE0 SQ is better, since I haven't seen anyone who owns both post anything yet. Could be, of course, but not sure if it's been definitively stated by anyone.

At a loss to recommend any other models apart from these two (RE0/MC5) at the $79 price.

Quote:
Slaters70, I've read through this whole thread, have a couple of questions.

Comparing the MC5 to the RE0 in terms of:

1. Durability/Build Quality/cable strain Reliefs
2. Sound quality ( Though from what i've read RE0 is slightly better, but how much would you rate said difference?
3. What other IEM would you recommend around those models MC5/RE0 ? eg. analytical.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #100 of 202

Quote:
Build wise i'm pretty sure the MC5s tops the RE0. I haven't owned the MC5, but according to all who have used them they're great in that aspect, even surpassing the HF5s. The RE0s have average build and are actually not that reliable. SQ wise I'll be surprised the RE0s surpass the MC5s, my guess is that the Etys are going to be at least on par because they seem to do very well against the RE-Zeros (according to slaters).

I would agree that I doubt the RE series IEMs can compete durability-wise with the MC5. But HD is a good company, and if you favor their sound, they do replace defective stuff pretty fast. I would not say it's surprising if the RE0 surpass the MC5s. I have never heard the RE0, so I can't comment. But you are right, the MC5s do sound on similar turf compared to the RE-Zero. I listened to both amped via LOD/T3 and Touch, which improves them both from HP out.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #101 of 202
I haven't heard the MC5 but a well amped RE0 is hard to beat at that price range :) The build isn't great but isn't horrible either on the RE0 and I've never had issues with their CS.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #102 of 202
Yeah i've had 2 issues with Head direct, customer support is Superb BUTT the etys come with a 2 year warranty, where as the RE0 only 1 and frankly, I come from a pair of busted RE2s (for the second time) and even though the RE2s sound quality is amazing, I can say the just felt cheap and poorly built ( and them being busted for the second time proves it.), hence why i'm looking away from the RE0 even though they might sound better then everything out there at that price range.

Anyone have any idea how the MC5s fair up against the HF5s ? and panasonic Zirconium for that matter? ( Yes i'm aware that the panasonic sound signature is warm compared to the Etys)

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #104 of 202
I just received my black MC5's. Very nice headphones and definitely a step up from the ER6i's. More detail, more bass and the build quality seems excellent. To me, the sound quality is similar to the IM716's with the Bass boost on the 716's turned on. They are similar in style to the IM716's, but much more comfortable. The $79 price is pretty amazing for these, and the 2 year warranty is an added bonus since I've went through approx. 4 pairs of ER6i's, which seem to die not long after the one year warranty expires. Looking forward to letting these burn in and putting them through hell at the gym. I think Ety has a winner here.

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #105 of 202
Glad to hear another person likes the MC5s. For the money, I am impressed. I had the 716s a couple of times (podded and depodded) and I like the MC5 sound better, as you note. And I doubt these phones will be prone to breakage as the er6i seems to be. They sound even better with the custom sleeves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back