Ety MC5
Jun 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #76 of 202
@Slaters70 - How would you compare MC5 with Klipsch S4? On a whim, I bought S4 from a local Best Buy last night - wanted to test them out myself. Coming from Er6i, my first reaction was "muddy"! I was on the verge of returning them after hearing S4 in the parking lot, but with a few different tips (best of all the Ety tri-flange for me) and a few hours of burning, the sound quality seems to have improved. The highs were very harsh initially, but they're settling in. I plan to keep these a few more day before deciding. Meanwhile, I am planning to order MC5 also so I can compare them. However, if you remember how your S4 sounded, please share your impressions. Thanks.

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #78 of 202
Just got my MC5 and they are burning in! Right out of the box they sounded pretty good. My flight leaves Thursday at noon, so I'll be cutting the 48hr burn in close. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #80 of 202
Well, I liked the S4s, but not until I let them burn in for almost 100 hours. I know that sounds nuts, but it's the truth. I ended up giving them to a friend, and he returned them because he wanted more bass he said. I think he was wearing them improperly. So I sold them for cheap mainly because I wasn't using them much any more (had gone through a new IEM buying spree). I would say they are competitive with the MC5 after burn-in, but again, my MC5 listening has been with the Touch/LOD/T3 combo, and I never heard the S4 under those circumstances. As I can best remember, the MC5s are a better overall listening experience but they do have the advantage of custom sleeves, which the S4s did not.

Oddly enough, I have a friend who wanted to upgrade his iBuds, but not spend more than $50. So I got him a pair of Klipsch S2is for $30 on Amazon (normally $69 I think). Burning them in now, and plan to have a listen. Look decent and I know some early adopters said they were a good buy for $69 (the iPhone version).

Anyway, I also just read on the Ety site that starting July 1, they are offering custom sleeves for $100 inclusive, if I read it right. ACS is making the sleeves for them. So for $179, the MC5s can be converted into "customs" in a sense, much like I have done with the UM56.

http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/index.html

Quote:
@Slaters70 - How would you compare MC5 with Klipsch S4? On a whim, I bought S4 from a local Best Buy last night - wanted to test them out myself. Coming from Er6i, my first reaction was "muddy"! I was on the verge of returning them after hearing S4 in the parking lot, but with a few different tips (best of all the Ety tri-flange for me) and a few hours of burning, the sound quality seems to have improved. The highs were very harsh initially, but they're settling in. I plan to keep these a few more day before deciding. Meanwhile, I am planning to order MC5 also so I can compare them. However, if you remember how your S4 sounded, please share your impressions. Thanks.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #82 of 202
Given the simple straight nozzle ergonomics of the Etys, what is the difference between a custom and a soft tri-flange?   I guess I don't understand how much better the fit could be?  That soft tri-flange conforms to virtually any ear canal size does it not?  Is it a matter of the different material not irritating the ear canal for some people? 

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #83 of 202
I know this is a dumb question, but is burn in the inital 50 or so hours that the IEM plays music?

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #84 of 202

Quote:
I know this is a dumb question, but is burn in the inital 50 or so hours that the IEM plays music?

Each phone is different.  could be 30 minutes or 300 hours depending.  For me burn in is more important in terms of preventing damage to the drivers.  All phones will get to their final signature sooner or later anyway.  If you have 50 hours on them and haven't let them rest yet make you do so they can settle down before you go too crazy on them w/ your .50 cent collection.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #85 of 202

Quote:

Pretty much. You can also think of it as a break in period. Assuming you believe in it (which a lot of people don't but a lot believe in it as well) it varies among phones. I personally only do around 30-50 hours and then any kind of improvement from there is just an added bonus.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #86 of 202
Well, a tri-flange may conform to most ears, but a custom fits the ear canal like a glove, and I believe, depending on the impressions, goes farther into the canal. I also think that the soft silicone material of the custom sleeves (the type I have) are a better sound material than just the even softer silicone of the tri-flanges. But it's all a personal preference. I know you've not had much faith in custom sleeves on IEMs in the past, but to me, especially with phones like the Etys that do not go over the ear, the comfort and iso can't be matched by tri-flanges, and listening to both, there is a SQ boost as well (richer bass, etc.).

Oddly enough, when I use custom sleeves with over the ear IEMs (Westone 2, UM3X, SM3s, DBAs), the comfort is not as good, because often the driver housing bumps into my ear and can cause pain. Of course, that's strange because the custom sleeves were made for over the ear cabled IEMs.

Again, not saying everyone should get them. But your last point is also part of the decision. Some people who can't tolerate tri-flanges can tolerate customs is my guess. I can use either, but with the Etys I prefer the customs, With the SM3s and the DBAs, as far as comfort is concerned, I use triple-flanged sleeves. In the latter cases, the futzing around with the customs/IEMs can become problematic. But not with the Etys. Once you get them in, they are very easy to deal with.

Quote:
Given the simple straight nozzle ergonomics of the Etys, what is the difference between a custom and a soft tri-flange?   I guess I don't understand how much better the fit could be?  That soft tri-flange conforms to virtually any ear canal size does it not?  Is it a matter of the different material not irritating the ear canal for some people? 

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #87 of 202

Quote:

In my case, I don't mind the comfort of Ety's triple flange (I have a pair of their triple flange ear plugs, which I use all the time when studying).  The problem I have with deep-fit IEMs—and not shallow-fit, like my GR8—is that one of my ear canals is shaped so differently than the other that it throws off the balance of the headphones. When I had the Hf5s the imbalance was driving me nuts, so I had custom tips made and it solved the problem.  I don't have the Hf5s anymore but I still have the tips.  I was hoping to fit them to the MC3—whenever they come out.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #88 of 202

Quote:
I have listened to both earphones, a few songs at a time, switching out the earphones as I repeat each pattern of music for about an hour... A comparison is under way, as I have notes to help, but alas, after changing the eartips for the first time on the Hf5, they broke!

I have had 2 pair HF5 break in 18 months, the first within 6 weeks.  Ety CS was great about replacing the first pair.  My first pair broke similarly to this one, but I was able to fit it back together.  Both pair had the sound tube break off at the end in small pieces. Personally, I'd say get the mc5. It seems more durable.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #89 of 202
Thanks slaters70. I ordered MC5 today and plan to compare them with S4 after burning them both in. S4 has improved a lot after about 24 hours of burn in. I am still finding the bass a little overwhelming and am missing the clarity of Etys. It will be interesting to see how S4 and MC5 play out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back