Ety MC5
Jun 22, 2010 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 202

slaters70

500+ Head-Fier
UPS man just delivered a red pair. I bought them out of curiosity. Stuck on a pair of UM56 custom sleeves, and these phones are very, very nice, but a lot more listening and tips to try. Also, may need a little bass EQ, but the mids and highs are Ety all the way, nice phones.

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 202
Just finished 45 minutes with them out on a walk. They are definitey ETYs, very detailed, very nice, never harsh, but in no way a warm IEM. Having said that, I did need to turn on the bass boost with my Touch, but with that added, tracks from the Beatles (Something), Steve Wonder (Boogie On Reggae Woman), Christian Scott (Rewind That), Ziggy Marley (Love is My Religion), Fine Young Cannibals (She Drives me Crazy) and Jackson Browne (Fountain of Sorrow) all sounded outstanding, crisp, clean and very very detailed. Ety has a $79 winner here in my view.

The MC5s, as the photos show, are nicer versions of the im616/716, but thinner sound tube (Almost Shure/Westone/SM3 thickness), and with the UM56 custom sleeves, they are as comfy as possible. Funny, but they do stick out pretty far, but I don't care, they sound fantastic, reminding me of the Fischer DBA-02s to some extent, but at half the price.

Again, out of the box, I needed a little bass EQ tick, but nothing too severe. And since I sent back my Cowon J3 (upgrading to the 32GB version), I don't really have a player with a great EQ. However, the Touch bass boost did not distort on the Etys, as it does with other phones. All in all, this is truly a winning Ety. Not sure it deviates all that much from Etys past, but for this price, it's a step up from the er6i in my view. It's also a better phone than the ADDIEMs, which are the same MSRP.

If you are looking for a detail monster, this is the under $100 IEM to get in my view, based at least on the ones I have heard/owned. I didn't try any of the stock tips other than the small triple flanges that come on the MC5s (no seal). But it has the usaul Ety tips, one large triple, one small, one large gray foamie and one of the glider tips.

No one is gonig to buy custom sleeves for these, but I have to say, it's a great match. My guess is you can always move to Complys or Olives if the fit kit isn't good.

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 202
I wonder how this would compare to the RE0 outside of isolation since Etymotic are pretty much king of isolation and I would expect this to be the same. Have you ever heard the HF2/HF5 since the price range is right in the middle of that and the ER6i (which imo is outdated)

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 202
I'd say they isolate just the same as all other Etys due to their design. The AL 616/716s, same thing. With a good tip, they seal off the sound completely. As for the comparison with the RE0, I thought of that right away. I can tell you I have a pair of Head-Direct RE-Zeros here, but I've only had both a short time, and need to do some A/B listening before I decide on one over the other.

Also, the Ety rubbery cable is great, no microphonics that I could detect. Comes with a shirt clip pre-attached too. Also has filters, like all the other Etys, so that's an added expense down the road, though with custom sleeves, not an issue.

I look forward to some other owners providing their view, and tonight I want to listen to the Etys using the T3 with my Fuze, Zune and Touch (only line out with the Touch, the others amped via the HP out).

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 202
Well, it's some sort of hybrid, I think. Not sure. But, they retain the Ety house sound (details, clarity, subdued bass). Having said that, I really, really like them. But need more time to listen. I do need to EQ the bass a little on them, but with my Rockboxed Clip or the Fuze with my T3, they sound pretty fantastic. I also like them with the Touch, but need to use bass boost. Right now, I would say they are a very good value for $79. Again, I am lucky enough to have custom sleeves to use with them. I will have to try some of the sleeves that came with them soon.

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 202
They have been confirmed by Ety to be pure dynamic drivers (not a hybrid) with patented Ety voodoo that makes them sound like Etys.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 202

Quote:
Well, it's some sort of hybrid, I think. Not sure. But, they retain the Ety house sound (details, clarity, subdued bass). Having said that, I really, really like them. But need more time to listen. I do need to EQ the bass a little on them, but with my Rockboxed Clip or the Fuze with my T3, they sound pretty fantastic. I also like them with the Touch, but need to use bass boost. Right now, I would say they are a very good value for $79. Again, I am lucky enough to have custom sleeves to use with them. I will have to try some of the sleeves that came with them soon.

Anxious to read your MC5 vs RE-Zero comparison -- these MC5 might tempt me into the Ety world -- love the look and 2 year warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back