Ety MC5
Jul 16, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #151 of 202

Anaxilus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Posts
12,065
Likes
337
How's the Isolation compared to the ER4's?  What do they lose from the ER4's in keeping the Ety sound?  Sorry if I'm asking you familiar questions.
 
Aug 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #153 of 202

supersleuth

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Posts
471
Likes
17
I just acquired MC5s- my first IEMs- and couldn't be happier. Frankly they sound even better than my beloved SR80s- just as clear, natural, and musical but without the emphasized upper midrange. They are on a totally different level from the K81DJ's I had been using with my iPod. I don't know how you could ask for more at the price. It's delightful to be able to carry sound this good in my pocket, at a price where it wouldn't be the end of the world if something happened to them.
 
They ship with the small (clear) triflange tips installed but even though my ear canals aren't especially large I found that the white triflanges gave me a better seal at a shallower, more comfortable depth. Don't bother with the newfangled Ety "gliders" which badly degrade the sound, making it midrangey to the point of honkiness.
 
If you're thinking of buying these- do it.
 
Aug 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #154 of 202

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 29, 2008
Posts
1,999
Likes
263
Just ordered a set.
 
Aug 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #155 of 202

csokane

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Posts
140
Likes
0
The MC5s weren't all that impressive before burn in. Afterwards, they sound really, really great.
 
Aug 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #156 of 202

slaters70

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 7, 2010
Posts
832
Likes
11
And none of the Ety "bass lite" issues at all, right?
 
Quote:
I just acquired MC5s- my first IEMs- and couldn't be happier. Frankly they sound even better than my beloved SR80s- just as clear, natural, and musical but without the emphasized upper midrange. They are on a totally different level from the K81DJ's I had been using with my iPod. I don't know how you could ask for more at the price. It's delightful to be able to carry sound this good in my pocket, at a price where it wouldn't be the end of the world if something happened to them.
 
They ship with the small (clear) triflange tips installed but even though my ear canals aren't especially large I found that the white triflanges gave me a better seal at a shallower, more comfortable depth. Don't bother with the newfangled Ety "gliders" which badly degrade the sound, making it midrangey to the point of honkiness.
 
If you're thinking of buying these- do it.



 
Aug 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #157 of 202

supersleuth

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Posts
471
Likes
17


Quote:
And none of the Ety "bass lite" issues at all, right?

I don't have any experience with other IEMs to compare, but the bass sounds just right to me. Keep in mind though that I'm a classical-music listener and a Gradophile, i.e. not a basshead.
 
Aug 19, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #158 of 202

csokane

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Posts
140
Likes
0
These sound amazing after burn in, but it just feels like something is missing.
 
Aug 19, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #160 of 202

csokane

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Posts
140
Likes
0
Not exactly. The sound just isn't as lifelike as it could be. I just can't find myself listening to them for long periods of time. I'm still new to IEMs, so I guess I need to try out a new sound signature.
 
Aug 19, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #161 of 202

Anaxilus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Posts
12,065
Likes
337


Quote:
Not exactly. The sound just isn't as lifelike as it could be. I just can't find myself listening to them for long periods of time. I'm still new to IEMs, so I guess I need to try out a new sound signature.


No, you are right.  It has 'decent' bass.  There is a lot to like about them but they do lack engagement.  Much better than say the Klipsch X5 but still.  $79 though ain't bad.  I still think they will drop to $59 at some point.  
 
Aug 19, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #162 of 202

supersleuth

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Posts
471
Likes
17
They are very neutral and uncolored; I could easily see that translating as "boring" for some tastes. I experience it simply as staying out of the way of the music. But there's no denying that the "wow" factor of, say, a Grado isn't there.
 
Aug 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #164 of 202

supersleuth

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Posts
471
Likes
17
I haven't heard the S4, but when I see Headroom describe something as being "warm" and having "big bass", I personally think "yuck, mud" and run as fast as possible in the other direction. Which just goes to show that one sound signature doesn't fit all.
 
Aug 19, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #165 of 202

Takendown2

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Posts
7
Likes
0
I say i have to agree with the S4 have too much bass, however describing it as muddy is a clear overstatement in my opinon. I dont really know how to describe my impression on the MC5, i just disliked it the instant i listened to it. I guess to each its own
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top