ETY ER6 VS Koss "Plug" and Airhead 4.5v questions
Aug 22, 2002 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dwynne

New Head-Fier
I have been using Koss "The Plug" earphones (and the Radio Shack version) for the last couple of years when riding on my motorcycles.

I am thinking about the ER-6 for better noise isolation and I have some questions.

Will the cord noise drive me nuts? The air blows the cord around now and I am afraid the cord noise I have read about here will be too much.

Do they stick OUT of the ears more than the Koss? I don't want my helmet pressing on them or I will be unable to use them.

Is the Airhead 4.5v any good? Will I need it with my portable MP3 player (Archos Jukebox) or radio? In other words, how sensitive is the ET-6 VS the Koss Plug?

Headphone has a "package deal" where the Airhead would only cost $70 more than the ET-6 by itself.

I am thinking of getting the Airhead anyway, as the output on the Sony XM radio will not drive the Koss directly. I am using a modulator and my FM radio to listen. I tried a "Boosteroo" and it did raise the level, but did not sound good (hey, it was < $10).

I never wear headphones except while riding, so other features and stuff is not important.

I assume the ER-6 is the best "in ear" noise blocking headphone?

Thanks!
Dennis
Hermitage, TN

Aug 22, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 9
First of all, you wear headphones while you're on your motorcycle?! Isn't that dangerous? A lumbering firetruck might be coming your way, and you wouldn't have a single clue! Well, whatever it takes for high fidelity audio, right?

Although i have not heard the er6, i have the 4s, and personally, i don't think microphonics are that bad. It's a bit of an annoyance, but i can stand walking around for a few minutes with them on. Don't you have to wear some sort of jacket when you're on your bike? Just fit the cord to the inside of your shirt/jacket, it should be fine.

And no, the er6 is not the best in-ear canalphone, i believe it's the er4p/s

Aug 22, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 9
The Koss does not block enough outside noise to make it a problem
wink.gif

I ride mostly out in the sticks, so keeping my eyes peeled should be enough - I hope.

I should have asked if the er6 is the best "resonably priced" earphone - the er4p is more than I want to spend.

Thanks!
Dennis

Aug 22, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 9
The ER-6 provides quite a bit of isolation. Depending on your fit, they may protrude too much out for comfort. I would be cautious in using any of the Ety earphones while driving because they do isolate a lot of noise.

The ER-6 is hard to power up. The ER-4P is suppose to be easier to power up than the ER-6.

Aug 22, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 9
the sony ex70 phones get bashed around here a lot, but they aren't bad, certainly better than the plug. i know people who ride motorcycles that swear by the ex70. it has loud bass so music can be heard over the engine, and just enough isolation that you should still be able to hear sirens, horns, etc. plus there is little cable microphonics, and they cost less that half what the er6 does.

Aug 22, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 9
I hope you wear a helmet.

I use the Koss plugs at the gym. THey isolte you a bit from the outside and when I ruin them it is not much of a loss. The bass is a bit heavy but not unlistenable in the gynm environment.

Aug 22, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 9
I had the plug for awhile before moving to the ER6, returning and upgrading to the ER4P (with S adapater cable).

There's a link about modifying "the plug": http://headwize.powerpill.org/projec...=cmoy4_prj.htm

Personally, I think the ER6 will isolate more and not stick out as much as what you are used to with the plug. The sound is better but then again, I have not personally tried to modify the plugs. Replacing the stock foams should help the isolation.

The amp will drive the ER6 to a greater level of clarity. I used them on a portable without an amp and found the sound lacking (which is why I upgraded to the ER4P, with the intent on eventually upgrading with an amp and adapter cable).

Of course I've upgraded a lot quicker than I anticipated, but that is the nature of this hobby.

Try to modify the headphones you have now, and see if you can pick up a used amp to try out. There always seems to be amps for sale on Head-fi.

Aug 22, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 9
I guarantee you that you'll get wind noise via the microphonic effect. I've heard it when outside on a breezy day. It drives me crazy so I'm going to get the fix up cable. The entire cable is replaced and there is not supposed to be any more microphonic effect.

Aug 23, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj
I'm going to get the fix up cable. The entire cable is replaced and there is not supposed to be any more microphonic effect.

Is this from Etymotic or some 3rd party vendor?

Anyone have any thoughts on the AirHead 4.5v (or should I look in the amp section). If I get the ET-6 the AirHead combo does not add much to the price....

Thanks!
Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back