Ety ER4S Tips Comply or Original?
Oct 14, 2009 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ibis99

100+ Head-Fier
cart.aspx

I currently use the Ety foamies shown above and was wondering if anyone have used the Comply foamies shown below.
p-u6epypu4avez.jpg

These are the smallest slim (long) version and I'm hoping there are the same width.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 11
What happened to my pics?

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 11
Look at the text you used for the pics, one too may https there.

I always liked Shure's foams (Olives). The Comply foams will be a touch more comfortable, but the Shure ones are more durable and last longer, stay clean and clean easier, and don't soak up high frequencies.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 11
^^ Exactly what I came in to say here. Double emphasis on Complies having poor durability. I had a pair of brand new ones, was inserting it on my ER4Ps and the core tore from the foam without me putting virtually any pressure on it at all. Another pair tore from their core after 2 or 3 weeks use. Considering olives have lasted me easily over 2 or 3 months, I've decided to go back.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the text you used for the pics, one too may https there.

I always liked Shure's foams (Olives). The Comply foams will be a touch more comfortable, but the Shure ones are more durable and last longer, stay clean and clean easier, and don't soak up high frequencies.

Yep, Olives here as well. They are softer, easier to insert/remove, have less of an effect on sound, and are easily washable.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 11
I used the Complies for a long time and liked the comfort and ease of getting a seal. In my ears they didn't affect the sound much, if any, but they did wear out. Right now I'm using gliders I got from Headroom and I think I like them best of all. They are again easy to insert (just push them in, no twisting, angling, etc.), comfortable (partially, I think, because they don't go as deeply into my ears), and they don't affect the sound.

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 11
I switch between the Olives and the new Complys with the filters in them. I really love their comfort plus the filter means I don't have to replace the Ety filters as often. Ialso think the filtered Comply is made of a different material than the original Comply and is more pliable or "squishy". I've had a Comply stuck on my Ety for over a month now with no sign of wear or tear. Don't know why some folk think they're so perishable or sensitive to damage.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 11
I have been contemplating getting Etys Er4p (or s). But I've narrow ear canals. What other options do I have beside using comply ear tips?

My LW3 ear tips are about 8mm max in diameter, and UE rubber sleeves (small size) does not provide good isolation.

A little worrying that I may not get a good fit with Etys since I've read so much about it.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 11
Small Shure olives are 10.15mm from my measurement just now. They might be okay for you.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by geralt_ll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been contemplating getting Etys Er4p (or s). But I've narrow ear canals. What other options do I have beside using comply ear tips?

My LW3 ear tips are about 8mm max in diameter, and UE rubber sleeves (small size) does not provide good isolation.

A little worrying that I may not get a good fit with Etys since I've read so much about it.

I also have very narrow ear canals. I use Etys smallest triflange(frost blue) or there smallest foamy ( flesh color) and they work fine.

My question was are the smallest Complys as small as the small ety foam?

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switch between the Olives and the new Complys with the filters in them. I really love their comfort plus the filter means I don't have to replace the Ety filters as often. Ialso think the filtered Comply is made of a different material than the original Comply and is more pliable or "squishy". I've had a Comply stuck on my Ety for over a month now with no sign of wear or tear. Don't know why some folk think they're so perishable or sensitive to damage.

True, they don't wear out straight away. They last for a decent amount of time. Once the first sign of wear appears, though, they tend to come apart pretty rapidly, in my experience. Not really a big deal since they're cheap and easy to replace, but I'd rather not have to ever even think about it. Perhaps it's just a bit of pickiness on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back