Ety er4-s vs Senn HD-580
Oct 31, 2002 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mkyy

100+ Head-Fier
Got off school today, I dragged my tired body back home. There, I saw a package sitting on my desk. Just can't wait to another second, I told myself. Fiercely rip open the box, I saw the nicely packed Ety ER4-S in there.
biggrin.gif

While I'm putting the little white silicon tips on the etys, I turned on my trusty Rega headphone amp to have it warmed up. Before I received the package, I've been reading threads about new ety users can't get the seal right. So, carefully, I put the headphones into my ear until I feel a little "vacuum" formed between the headphone and the ear drum. Started playing whatever is in my CD player ( and it happens to be Diana Krall Live in Paris ), and I wonder, where's the bass??

I mean, I can hear John Claytons's bass solo, it's tighter, deeper and more defined then the HD580, but it missed the kick from the Senns. When I first got my new CD player, combo it with the Senn, I find the bass to be plenty and sometimes a little richer then I like. And my question, is it still the seal problem?? or is it just the Senn sitting at the one end of the spectrum in terms of bass while the Ety's is in the other end?
confused.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 7
hey mkky,

i just my ety er-4s phones a few days ago myself and i'm having the same problem that you are with the bass. i tried the silicon tips last night so i think i'll try the foam ones tonite. so far i like the quickness,clarity, top end and aggressiveness of the sound but i miss the soundstage and bass of my hd600 phones.

i wish there was a headphone that could give me the best of both worlds but i haven't found them yet!

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 7
mkyy:

The ety's can use some break-in. And don't give up on the ety's... they do have BASS!!

Did you moisten the silicon tips?
Quote:

...but it missed the kick from the Senns.

That may have something to do with mid-bass bump in the 580/600.

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 7
The bass will improve with burn in. And you will probably find an even better fit and seal with growing inserting routine. And you will attune to the Ety sound, to its ultra-accurate and lean bass – just give yourself the time.

But the bass won't ever be exactly the same as the one from the HD 580. Nevertheless you barely will find a more extended and accurate bass reproduction from headphones. It just isn't that «visceral» (as has been mentioned in this forum) like full-grown dynamic cans. No problem for me.

Oct 31, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 7
I've never been happy with the bass on them. People will tell you you're not getting the seal right or they're not broken in or you don't know what good bass is suppsosed to sound like. But I think its the emperor's new clothes. These phones are like high quality minimonitors.

I still use them heavily because there's nothing better out there for travelling on noisy mass transit. And it's the only phones that I can trust for remastering work without having to test the disc on a loudspeaker system.

Oct 31, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks all for you suggestion.

puggyslug, I bought the etys from a fellow head-fier, and I assumed it's well burnt-in.

Upon listening to more disc, I come to an early conclusion that it's the way the ety's sound. Although it's not as impactful as the Senns, but the Senns has a muddier presentation when compare to the etys and that's where I think the bass shines on these little canal phones.

Though there were two occasion that I was scared by my sister as she was standing beside me for quite a while without me noticing. I'm starting to appreciate the isolation the etys is giving me when I want to concentrate in my school work ( if I'm not lost in music
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back