Ety Er-6 vs Sony Ex-70 (w/ EQ)
Apr 21, 2002 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AlphaHX

100+ Head-Fier
First off, I just want ppl to know that I did this out of pure boredom and that I dont regularly use EQ and I'm not the greatest fan of the Ex-70 (even tho theyre good to use at low volume while sleeping IMO).

Anyways, I noticed that I still had the Ety EQ settings that Joe Bloggs put up a couple months ago so I decided that I compare them to my Etys, the Er-6 to see if Joe Bloggs' EQ did any justice.

Being this is my first review and I'm comparing headphones using EQ (which I know is look down upon to most of you audiophiles out there), this will probably be the most useless review u head-fiers will ever read on head-fi.

Anyways, hopefully this will be quick and painless... well okay... maybe not painless. Sorry Joe Bloggs... (ppl probably can guess where this is going)
rolleyes.gif

What the EQ did for the Ex-70:
1) Balanced out the sound.
2) thats about it...

Ex-70 (EQed) vs Er-6:
I feel that this is pointless but okay, I'll make it brief. Etys are known to be accurate, detailed, and balanced, well... lets just say the Ex-70 (EQed) comes close to the balanced part of the sound. Nuff said.

Conclusion:
I basically wrote this for anyone whos still using the EQed Ex-70 out there thinking that they're getting the Ety sound. IMO, ur far from it but I guess I rather use the EQed Ex-70 than to stand the psychotic bass. So summing things up, if ur using Joe Bloggs EQ to soften the blow of the Ex-70, I dont see the harm in that, but if ur using the EQ thinking that u compare them to Etys, u might want to get a pair of Etys and check out the difference urself (and trust me, u'll probably wont regret it).
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Extra Comments:
I compared the EQed Ex-70 to my Er-6 and IMO, they didnt come close so I dont even want to know how the Er-4 compares.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 5
That's ok Alpha, no harm done
wink.gif

Actually I think it is good news if there is actually so much room for improvement...

BTW, what source were you using? Computer sound card? Or did you burn to CD and listen out of your usual CDP-amp combo?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 21, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 5
I burned it to CD and used my D-EJ01. I decided to use a portable source since the Ex-70 and the Er-6 are pretty much for portable use.

Hope this helps and thanx for not finding my review too harsh.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 5
Hmm, did you try using an amp? Because the EX70 have extremely low impedance (16ohms...) and I found yesterday that it doesn't take someone who doesn't own tin ears to find that it's impossible to drive 2 of them out of a portable... wonder how much better a portable can do even with one, really...

I do notice some improvement going from the portable hp out to the Porta Corda even using 1 EX70...

----
How much harder are the ER6 to insert than the EX70?

Because it seems that the ER4/6 are bona fide canalphones while the EX70 can be better classified as 'sealed earbuds'
tongue.gif

I also have to wonder what's wrong with the HD580 that I should prefer the EX70 over them...

Really need to get that MOH loaner to see if a better amp can make them shine
biggrin.gif

But later... first I have exams >.<""

The etys sound like a must-buy from your description
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully I can manage a good seal with them??

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 21, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 5
Etys are pretty easy to insert after u get used to them. Its just a matter of time; i guess it just depends if u have the patience for it. At first I had to admit, it wasnt exactly all that comfortable the first couple times using it. But after u get used to it, they take no more than a couple of more seconds to put in than the Ex-70.

I borrowed my friends Er-4 and IMO, I found the Er-6 easier to insert. I'm pretty sure Er-4 users would find Er-6 slightly harder to use just cuz its a bit different, I guess it depends on what ur used to.

But if ur thinking of getting a pair of Etys and ur enjoying the sound of ur EQed Ex-70, I would recommend u get a pair. Personally I think they have more to offer compared to the Ex-70, plus the isolation of the Er-6 are much better than the Ex-70. If you ever get a pair of Etys, compare them to ur Ex-70, I'm kinda curious how you would compare them.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back