Ety ER-6 vs. ER4p with IPOD
Sep 12, 2002 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

2thdoc

New Head-Fier
I just got an Ipod that is loaded with jazz, rock and new age. Music is encoded with EAC and Lame Alt -preset-standard. In other words vy. good quality MP3. I allready have Sen mx500 to use at the gym when working out with weights and I need to hear others around me. I want Ety's to use doing yard work, traveling by plain and subway, and occational use at home and at my office. My question is which model Ety's would be best? There is a $140 price differance!! My concerns are the wire noise and longterm comfort. I am sure the 4p souds better, but for my needs and comfort is it worth the money.

Sep 12, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi, 2thdoc!
Having used both the ER4P and Ety ER6 with the iPod, I believe that, while the ER4P provides a rather substantial improvement in sound, the ER6 may be better for your needs. The cable microphonics on the ER4 are pretty bad, while they are almost non-existent on the ER6. Because of this, I always use the ER6 when I mow the lawn. Some on this board have found that a replacement cable from Fix-up solves the microphonic problem on the ER4.
As for long term comfort, I find the ER4 to be more comfortable and also easier to achieve a good seal. Your ears may find this not to be true. Is the extra $140 worth it for the ER4P? To my ears it is. Better bass, better mids, better highs. What else is there?
But for your stated purpose, the ER6 gets my vote.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Hold on......I just re-read your post. Except for the yard work part, the ER4P is my choice. Plane, subway, home, office......ER4P. So I guess I'm changing my vote to ER4P.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Joe. As a follow up, since you have everything I am looking at, just how bad are the cord microphonics on the ER4P? By this I mean will the cord noise be a problem (ie. drive me nuts)over the music when I am walking around and moving? Also with these well encoded MP3s' that I will be using on the IPOD can you hear the extra imaging and tones that the 4P provides and the ER6 doesn't? Since I don't have headphones this great I just don't know what may be hidden in these MP3 rips. I am used to CD's but 200 full albums in 6.8oz is just too great
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 6
I have the 4Ps, but not the 6s. I don't find the cord microphonics very bothersome at all. If you loop the cord behind your ears and use the clip to attach the cord to your shirt you shouldn't hear that much noise. As for the level of detail, I can hear new things in almost every (CD) recording I listen to with the Etys that I couldn't hear with my Sony D22SL eggo headphones or my PSB 400 speakers.

Sep 13, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 6
This may be a stupid question, but I am new. By looping the cord do you mean taking the cord as it hangs down from the ear going forward towards your face then pulling the cord over the top of your ears and back down? Will it stay that way?

Sep 14, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Yes. Do a search for "Ety Microphonics" if you want more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back