Ety Auditioners: Please spell it out for me - Which has more bass? 4S or 4P
Jan 28, 2004 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I swear to God, in all my reading I've done, that I've come across conflicting reports. Could people who've auditioned both please definitively (yeah, good luck at Head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
) please state their observations as to which model of the Etymotic has more bass.

PS. They're for my iPod.

Jan 28, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 13
You're asking a loaded question. Are you talking about frequency response and clarity or are you talking that "Thump Thump" feeling you get when the lower frequencies are driven harder?

My opinion is that the 4S has a better frequency response in the lower ranges where you get clear concise bass. The 4P provide a little more "Thump" type of feel.

JMHO

Jan 28, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 13
Oh. Man, this always arises. The "more, but not better bass" issue. Let's just say: better low frequency extension that creates a fuller overall sound.

Jan 28, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 13
My opinion again,

I like the 4S sound a little better. Only because I prefer the uncolored sound. Granted, we're not talking a whole lot of difference.

It's sorta like a dimmer on a light. The S setting on the dimmer gives me just the right amount of light and shadow, the P setting adds just a very little more light. Remember that for most people, they won't notice the difference.

You could just go with the 4P with the S cable and use both

Depending on what you're listening too of course
smily_headphones1.gif

That's the only regret I have in buying the 4S. I could have had both solutions instead of just the one.

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 13
Duh. Well that simplifies things alot. Thanks guys!

Jan 28, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 13
My opinion based on a test just now:

- unamped iPod: 4P has more perceived bass than 4S, at equivalent overall volume level.

- iPod amped with Supermini v6: same result, but less of a difference bteween the two in my opinion.

(Test track: Patricia Barber's "Touch of Trash" from the Companion live album)

I personally much prefer the 4S sound. The 4P sound keeps making me want to play with equalization - one way for one song, another way for the next song. The 4S just sounds "correct" to me from the get-go and I don't have that "let me twiddle the knobs" urge at all.

One other thing to consider: Only the 4P has the braided cable. The 4S has the heavier, sorta rubbery cable. I like the lightness of the braided cable better, even though it means I have to add a 4P->4S adaptor.

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 13
The er4p's have MORE bass while the 4s have LESS, but the 4s has better more refined bass. I listen to s through a converter I made, so i have the best of both worlds (depending on what i need).
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 13
Since nobody has mentioned this yet:

http://www.etymotic.com/product_list...t_number=ER-4P

Straight from the horse's mouth, Etymotic Research's frequency response measurements for the ER-4P and ER-4S. Note, in particular, that the 4P's high end (after 10Khz) is relatively quite attenuated compared to the 4S, which is +8dB at 20Khz! That probably explains a lot of what people think about the 4S's resolving detail. The 4P's bass response also trails off a little faster than the 4S.

Personally I own the 4P w/ 4S converter, but I haven't listened to it without the converter long enough to completely judge its character. I have enough uses for both configurations, however, even while completely ignoring their relative sound quality: The 4P is much easier on batteries for portables, while the 4S helps attenuate sound card noise.

[edit: read the chart a bit wrong]

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 13
If your player uses capacitors to couple the output (I'm pretty sure the iPod does) then you'll get a high-pass filter with low impedance headphones. In this case it may be better to go with the ER-4S, which won't roll off the bass as much. Sort of a compromise between subdued highs and bass roll off.

fr.png

This image illustrates the effect. I'm fairly certain the iPod also uses a capacitor to couple to headphones like the Karma, so you can get the idea. Maybe someone can correct me on that statement.

Jan 31, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
please state their observations as to which model of the Etymotic has more bass.

And the answer is... none... none have more bass. "Ety ER4" and "bass" have no business being in the same sentence, unless the word "bass" is preceded by "lack of".

If you want tight, deep, refined low end from a canal phone, Shure E5C is the only way to go. I guarantee, if you're someone who likes to be able to hear deep, extended, natural sounding low end... as it was mixed in the studio... you'll be sorely dissapointed by the Ety's. The Ety's extended high end and mid response pretty much pushes low end out of the mix on a lot of material, as good as they sound sometimes. You're question of "which Ety has more bass?" alone makes me think you won't be happy with the Ety's lack of low end response.

You need to check out the Headphone forum rather than the Portable Audio forum... there's lot's of opinions of Etys and E5Cs over there.

OK... I'm ready for the flames...

Jan 31, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 13
When all is said and done, I think the difference really is academic. Both will be either good or inadequate depending in your expectations.

The Etys provide excellent bass for audiophile-style listening once they are properly seated. As people said, the 4S seems to impart an even more overtly resolved sound to the whole frequency range, including the bass.

I did say the bass is great for audiophile-style listening where you really want to wring those details. That said the 4S will seem to have less bass in a comparison between these two.

Yet in the overall scheme of things (i.e. most major canalphones and many phones) both come across as pretty thin. For what I consider entertainment, I find the Ety bass inadequate. For my high-end dum-b-ass listening I have the Shure E5.

Feb 2, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 13
"And the answer is... none... none have more bass. "Ety ER4" and "bass" have no business being in the same sentence, unless the word "bass" is preceded by "lack of"."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agreed with you for a long time, but then I figured out that you need to push the Etys a little deeper to gain the bass that seems to be sorely lacking. The Etys go really deep with the right positioning. The trick is inserting them properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back