Ety 6i... a brand new world!
May 5, 2006 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Okigire

New Head-Fier
Well, I suppose it's time to actually post something on this forum!!
smily_headphones1.gif

So, here's a little (long?) story...

Like most of you, I used to enjoy listening to music with just about anything so long as I could hear. Stock earphones weren't bad at all, until you realized what you were doing! Then came some store bought earphones that were better, and lasted a long time. Not-too-long-ago came the HJE50s from Panasonic... the improvement was noticable in the comfort, bass and treble. To this day I don't think they sound that bad (read on).

Recently I thought - it's been a while since I've tapped into the world of audio. So, off on the web I surf and lo and behold I find Head-fi... probably one of the worst mistakes ever (read on).

I started to realize that all this bass pumping treble screaming music was great, but didn't cover what I listen to most... music! IEMs, what a great concept and isolation was important. I have always been a fan of Ety's stuff, so I started reading and there they were - EVERYWHERE on the forums!

I debated between the Ety 6 and UM1. I was a little sad to hear that the Etys had a low level of bass, and the UM1s were a lot more responsive to that. Great, UM1s... then came more posts about the "improvement" of 6i over the 6, and more significant, how much more accurate and detail the 6i had (over the UM1s). Why couldn't this decision be easier?

Wait a second... what decision?! Since when did I start debating on buying a et of IEMs?! Before I knew it, I made the decision to get the Ety 6i's...oops?! After listening to them, here are my thoughts...

WOW!!! These actually sound...decent! Having much experience with flanges (ie. earplugs), getting a seal was as simple as inserting them in my ear. This obviously isn't a review, but my "experience." The HJE50s I thought were great - plenty of treble and bass to go around. That's about all they had though... it was an in-your-face sound.

The Ety 6i are nice and simple. The flat response for me is very comforting. I don't need much treble nor bass, and things sound a lot more natural. The keyword here is NEED, I wish they had a little more bass, and perhaps more treble. The bass seems lacking for songs where bass is key... rock/metal, certain songs (such as THE ROCK movie soundtrack), etc. Overall though - the bass is fine, but a touch more would be great.

Now reading what everybody has to say about the E2Cs and the UM1s, should I have gotten one of those instead? (I'm asking this question, and answering it because there seem to be endless threads about this!!!)

My answer is NO! It's very heavily based on personal preference, and the clarity and flat response of the Ety 6i is just what I wanted. Bass would have been nice, but wasn't as much of a priority. For others, if you need bass beyond a "flat response" then seriously consider the E2C/UM1.

I guess we all know what comes next... which pair to get next? For me, it'll have to be small and portable... earphones or IEMs. My experience with IEMs are screaming for IEMs next. Full-sized headphones just won't do (yet). Did somebody say iM716? Uh oh...
wink.gif

May 5, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 35
I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
tell me princess, when last did you
let your heart decide?

A WHOLE NEW WORLD
(Dont you dare close your eyes)
A WHOLE NEW WORLD

tongue.gif

Now that you've had your first eargasm, it'll take more $$ to get that same feeling. Sorry.
icon10.gif

May 5, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 35
The "Don't you dare close your eyes" line is after the 2nd verse, but you have the first verse listed before the chorus. Just to let you know.
icon10.gif

May 5, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 35
Ah yes - that's one song I haven't listened to yet on my new Ety's!!!
tongue.gif

Actually it's not my first eargasm, but it's sure been a while... I've put on full-sized cans that make you stop and go...
basshead.gif
I can't believe I have something decent in my posession!
eggosmile.gif

As long as it's CRTS (Constant Returns to Scale, for you nerds) it's worth it for me. Spending double the amount of money for double the improvement is totally worth it. Spending an extra $5000 for a 5% improvement is not for me right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

...lol...these smilies are awesome!
Here's me right now...
580smile.gif

May 5, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 35
Now that I have a PA2V2, I'm wondering if the ER6i are worth a 'back-up' IEM?

May 5, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 35
Having little bass and highs is hardly a flat response. Bass and highs are rolling off.

But I do get what you are trying to say. Mids that aren't too forward, treble that is harsh, bass that is boomy.

Good sound is subjective. True.But your findings re lack of bass and highs, tells me you are missing them. Enjoy your iems for what they can provide for now. But do dream about and possibly save for something better. It is certainly worth the wait.

Enjoy your new phones (for now.)

May 5, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Now that I have a PA2V2, I'm wondering if the ER6i are worth a 'back-up' IEM?

Not really unless SQ isn't your main issue.

May 5, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino
Having little bass and highs is hardly a flat response. Bass and highs are rolling off.

But I do get what you are trying to say. Mids that aren't too forward, treble that is harsh, bass that is boomy.

Good sound is subjective. True.But your findings re lack of bass and highs, tells me you are missing them. Enjoy your iems for what they can provide for now. But do dream about and possibly save for something better. It is certainly worth the wait.

Enjoy your new phones (for now.)

I don't find the ER-6i to be rolled off in the highs. The Shures roll off the highs faster than the Etys do. Anyway I don't think you're going to get more bass boom with the ER4 (more treble, yes).

May 5, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I don't find the ER-6i to be rolled off in the highs. The Shures roll off the highs faster than the Etys do. Anyway I don't think you're going to get more bass boom with the ER4 (more treble, yes).

If anything, the ER6i has rolled off bass! I certainly wouldn't say there is a lack of highs. They extend pretty well as well, even though they're quoted to a "mere" 16kHz +/-6dB.

If you like the ER6i and want a little more bass, then the K701 will be perfect. I think that they have the same clean, clinical precision as the Etymotics, while adding in more richness in the bass and midrange. I perfer my K701 to my ER4S for everything but a few genres. Having said that, they are both extremely good and would be very logical upgrade paths from the ER6i.

May 5, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Now save up for the Shure e500

er-6i apparently doesn't have a good review on headphonereviews.org
http://headphonereviews.org/headphon...headphoneId=43

Yeah based on all of one review. How did it do at Consumer Reports?

EDIT: (Just in case some of you didn't it get, I wasn't serious about Consumer Reports. No self-respecting audiophile reads that stuff.)

May 5, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #15 of 35
Bass on er-6i is rolled off? Well, if you haven't amped them I guess it would be an o.k. statement. But, when you amp them (I use Xin Supermini with Solidtube opamp) you'll soon learn that all the bass you could possibly want was there all the time. I have absolutely no urge for any other IEM's, except to try Sensaphonics......that is the sum total of my potential IEM shopping list. Right now I've got clarity, detail, all the bass response anyone could possibly want.....even found a sleeve/tip that works for me (yes, Shure is good for something after giving them a little "surgery")..................plus the amp a setup is good for my Nano alternative (a variation of HD25-13).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back