The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Aug 17, 2019 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,120

bluenight

500+ Head-Fier
Have you had any experience with hearing sound improvement when uppgrading from standard one to more expensive ones?

I think i can stretch my self to these ones regarding ethernet cables 5m lenght

£66
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/supra-cat8-flame-retardant-ethernet-cable#reviews

£55.00
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-cat7-pearl-rj-e-ethernet-cable-custom

I dont think the costumer reviewers lies when they say they here improvement in bass and detail from generic ones.

Edit. Yes very worth it in my case. Now that i have been using the supra cat 8 for months now replacing all my generic old cat5e utp ethernet cables in the audio chain and i also bought an switch at the same time to have between router instead of ethernet cables to audio gear direct from router. Switches aparantly have galvanic seperated ports which isolate noise from router. I bought Netgear GS108.

Replacing the router and switch generic power supply with ifi i power x improved soundquality further with cleaner and smoother sound, more analogue sounding, better bass quality, like pressing an high res button. I have only heard the improvements with wired ethernet connection so not with wifi.

I can say this is an overlooked area to get great sound in streamed audio. I say and hear its one of the importent foundations to get great sound in streamed audio . Before my system was to bright and harsh to play loud, not anymore now its more rewarding to play loud. Now the sound is more fuller/analogue sounding/smooth with better musicality and joy/more refined/more air/better separation/HP disapear more so better soundstage.

Best explanation i know of how it can make a difference.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...enson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 2,120
Aug 18, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 2,120
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 2,120
Just replaced my generic cat 5 ethernet cable to my streamer from switch with Supra cat 8 ethernet cable. Before i had also replaced the generic cat 5 ones with supra cat 8 from internet fiber outlet to router and from router to switch. So Supra cat 8 all the way now.

I do hear an improvement its not night and day but i do hear some more opening up of the sounds and more refinement, more clarity/blacker background and more details/textures, better bass but all frequency ranges sound better, and wider soundstage and less harshness.

The bigest strenght i like with this cable is its musicality i enjoy the music more. So worth it for me :).

Weakness not the most blackest background.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 2,120
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 2,120
A bunch of audio nerds and myself hang out at the local stereo shop. lots of hi end stuff, on Saturdays we play with different cables and do tweaks. one time it was different hi end ether net cables from the same company price range from 50$ to 800$. heard a difference with every cable we tried. most expensive was very smooth almost analog sounding. even the cheapest was a huge difference over cheap old no name ethernet cable . find price range u r comfortable with and go for it, better then stock ethernet cables

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 2,120
Have you had any experience with hearing sound improvement when uppgrading from standard one to more expensive ones?.

Lol no. Ethernet cables are binary, they either work or don't. There are no parameters what so ever that would result in changes in sound.

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 2,120
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 2,120
Yes in how they take up RF/EMI or not and how much they send it in to your electronics.

Also heard it myself as i wrote in previous post.

https://darko.audio/2014/12/global-feedback-can-ethernet-cables-make-a-difference/
Ethernet cables are not analogue cables, the data isn't streamed in real time. It's sent as packets and if there is a packet error, the packet is sent again. The received packets are buffered in the client memory and then streamed to DAC. I'm obviously skipping steps here, but the point is if there is an erroneous data, it will be fixed in .01ms and never even reach the listener.

Darko is snake oil peddler, he's not providing any data to support his "theory" (read: ad campaign) and keeps pushing people to buy cables in the comments so "they can hear the difference themselves".

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 2,120
Yes, ethernet cables make a difference. I wish they didn't.

Should also look at LAN isolators such as Pink Faun. These can bring large improvements in sound.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 2,120

Should also look at LAN isolators such as Pink Faun. These can bring large improvements in sound.
Hearing is believing! My hearing experience is:
1. Brandless Cat 6 cable - sounds lifeless and FLAT
2. JSSG 360 with earth cable to a Earth connection on the distribution power strip
3. Ferrite cores - at least 3 - 1 on each end and 1 in the midde
Sound stage comes alive after at least 50 hours burn in

Next step
New out of the packing Cat 8 - plug and play - UGH! Flat and lifeless compared to Hacked Cat 6

Swapped back the Hacked Cat 6 - 5 secs you can hear the SQ come back immediately

Next Step
1. Cat 8 - Nail polish/varnish to coat insulating coat on the metal connectors on both ends -
AH! AH! - Sounds promising

Next Step
1. 4 layer thick - 3 levels of Aluminium Foil with insulation layer inbetween each level of EMF/RFI shielding
Earthed connected at each end at connector - Basically JSSG 360 treatment
2. Earth wire at one end connecting all 3 levels of Al Foil and then connected to Earth pin on Furutech power strip
3. 3 - 5 Ferrite cores under the first level of EMF/RFI shield level.
4. Burn in at least 50 hours on YouTube/CNBC High video data flow
5. Applied another 2 coats of Nail Polish on end metal connectors - Total 6 coats - Hard baked in with my Hot Air gun!

Swop in and out comparison with hacked Cat 6 - Hmmh !!! - Definitely smoother across the Frequency spectrum! Deeper and Wider Sound stage - The Bass extension and Punch!! - Very noticeable. Background very quiet very dark and PEACEFULLY Silent!
This is for 1 hacked Cat 8 swopped for 1 hacked Cat 6.

One more hacked CAT 8 was installed - Eagles on Hell Freezes Over - Gets better and better. The Lead in Intros on Guitars picking and the Congos - Just gets more and more Air! More impactful - Just Wonderful

2 more Cat 8s to hack - Ran out of Ferrite Cores - ordered some 20 more 13 / 9mm ID ferrite cores to install on 2 cables - These will connect the SOTM Ultra Neo to my DAC through the ISOREGEN to the EtherRegen from Uptone Audio (Coming in Jan 2020 delivery) and a Second Hacked Cat 8 to my HQPlayer Server.
1 more Cat 8 to be hacked will connect my EtherRegen to my Netgear GS105 switch and
1 more Cat 8 to connect GS 105 to my Asus AC86 Router - No connection to my Internet Provider Broadband Router _ NO Need to have a connection !! SOTM Ultra works well without actual internet connection. SQ is Quieter and smoother!

All units are on 12 V DC Linear PSU - Nothing fancy just China made gear. But each unit is on its OWN Linear DC PSU - No Earth connection between each unit. That is I found the secret in MY system for Ultra Smooth Fantastic SQ
I did not spend a lot on the above. Just a lot of DIY effort and Trial and Error - read the Audiophilestyle.com forums for tips.
YMMV

Kelvin

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 2,120

I have the Pink Faun. Didn't do much in my system

I've found the Baaske MI-1005 and SOtM isolators to work very well. Baaske in particular are superb value.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 2,120
I have the Pink Faun. Didn't do much in my system

Interesting. They are "night and day" in my setup, so much so that I use multiple throughout my LAN to break up all potential sources of noise transmission.

I have an SOtM Cat 7 cable with the Cat 6(?) isolator built in and that also sounds very good.

Of course, as well as cables and isolators, one should look at switches and power supplies. Again, all can bring improvements.

Getting a network to sound good isn't as easy as it should be...

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 2,120
Interesting. They are "night and day" in my setup, so much so that I use multiple throughout my LAN to break up all potential sources of noise transmission.

I have an SOtM Cat 7 cable with the Cat 6(?) isolator built in and that also sounds very good.

Of course, as well as cables and isolators, one should look at switches and power supplies. Again, all can bring improvements.

Getting a network to sound good isn't as easy as it should be...

Yes the SOtM Cat 7 is very good. I like pairing the light grey and black SOtM ethernet cables with the Supra Cat 8 via the Baaske. The dark grey SOtM is only good if your system is bright.

A very good power cable is the Oyaide Tunami GPX-R V2. Punches way above its weight. The plug use beryllium copper blades plated in platinum and palladium.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back