ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 15, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #3,061 of 3,207
They sound like Meze Elite 1.5 with the suedes. Technically more proficient in every category than the Elites, except ss size. They sound very similar otherwise, but at their respective prices, especially used-a no brainer imo. I feel the dac/source is much more important for the E2s than the amp too-don't sell these short in that regard imo

As for the perforated pads well, not too beat a dead horse but, they made the E2 sound like an hd555...muted, smeared, major loss in resolution and clarity, ss sounded more confused than an hd800 out of an altoid box, etc etc. Was much like smearing vasoline over a 4k oled and still calling it hd...others who heard them felt exactly the same, and this was through 3 proper amps too.

Either way, with the suedes in place, I recently sold off my Meze Elite, AWKT, Adx5000, ESL R10, HD800, all because the E2 WITH SUEDES were besting the rest of these in most areas.
I switched from the standard to the perf pads and have been enjoying the sound. The way you describe it has me running to buy the suede pads and compare. The Ether 2 is under-appreciated and IMO a great all-rounder at its price. Can't imagine the perf vs suede will be as night-and-day as you describe, but we'll see! Or... hear!

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #3,062 of 3,207
Wow, it's been a minute since I've posted on head-fi. Glad to see that this thread is still going and that folks are still enjoying e2. It continues to be a daily driver for me. Been listening to it lately on the THX 789 and find it a pretty good pairing. Happy holidays everyone!

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,064 of 3,207
How is the ether 2 compared to the ether flow 1.1?
I'm totally digging the sound of the ether c flow 1.1 and the likes of the Stax sr-007 mk2.

Which of the 2 will suit my open-back needs better?
Hi. I owned Ether Flow Open 1.1 before getting Ether 2.

To my ears they were quite far apart in terms of tuning. This was especially true since I was listening to EFO w/ the e-stat pads, which brightened the sound further. But even w/ Alpha pads or Angled pads, EFO 1.1 is a fair amount brighter.

So for the tuning you’re after, EFO is gonna be much closer to your preferences.

< aside > I found the EFO 1.1 signature (w/ angled pads) close to my Hifiman HEKv2, which has dropped to $2k MSRP — used prices are now below $1500. I owned both at the same time and preferred the Hifimans, mostly due to better bass, also better imaging. </aside >

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #3,066 of 3,207
I just the Ether 2, kind of mind-blown that these aren't more popular. They're not perfect, but considering all of the mixed feelings on the Expanse and the Stealth, I'm wondering why people don't just get the Ether 2 for much cheaper - it's really impressive.
Evertime time I get to improve my chain especially the Amplification the Ether 2s scale accordingly...
I am running the Anni Head Amp....just Added a Farad Super 3 with a custom cable. The difference is phenomenal but Ether just eats it up..... People expect better with the next headphone to do the magic... I am waiting to run out of road with the E2. I do want expanse though....

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #3,067 of 3,207
Evertime time I get to improve my chain especially the Amplification the Ether 2s scale accordingly...
I am running the Anni Head Amp....just Added a Farad Super 3 with a custom cable. The difference is phenomenal but Ether just eats it up..... People expect better with the next headphone to do the magic... I am waiting to run out of road with the E2. I do want expanse though....
The only thing I had to do with the Ether 2 is buy a balanced cable - This is easily the hardest headphone I have ever owned to drive, but then again I like XLR4 typically.

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #3,071 of 3,207
I think they can be, but mine is just the regular 6.35mm
Just depends on the termination and pin out. I believe there is always reasons why some HPA manufacturers use just a single ended and discount the relative short distance of a headphone cable for improvement of sound quality verse balanced rejection but designed for Pro audio over long distances... Much longer runs on speaker outs so makes sense...
Designers must have their reasons....
Not sure of the technicalities.... just the basics... maybe some Amps have better designed balanced circuits or more power drives a headphone better.... Louder or cleaner for that amp only...

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #3,072 of 3,207
Yes anything that adds that extra grunt. I am back to being single ended again. The Anni has plenty of headroom though ....
Best amp I heard with the Ether 2 was the Burson soloist 3xp, but that maybe due to the signature of the amp and opamps I used. Those headphones I compared to my hd 6XX and are voiced very similarly except the Ether 2 was just soooooooo much better across the frequency range especially the bass and sub bass!

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #3,073 of 3,207
That is my combo Ether 2 and Soloist :gs1000smile: What opamps are you using?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #3,074 of 3,207
Isn’t the VIVO cable balanced? I used to have the Ether 2s and I thought they were the best of DCA lineup. I liked Noire too.
they are great and under rated, but the Voce is a far better can IMO. The Violectric V-281 is what I like on the E2.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #3,075 of 3,207
they are great and under rated, but the Voce is a far better can IMO. The Violectric V-281 is what I like on the E2.
I was using a Cap Modded Liquid Platinum with my Ether 2 and I loved it. Sold it before upgrading the rest of my chain. If you like the Ether 2 try to check out the ZMF Caldera at some point. That is what I'm currently using and loving. It is another planar that has such a fun and interesting tuning. Not going for dead neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back